IdImager v5 to Photo Supreme v4 migration

Chris Walton

IdImager v5 to Photo Supreme v4 migration

Post by Chris Walton » 04 Feb 19 19:28

I have reached the position that I must migrate from IdImager. My obvious migration path is to Photo Supreme. I am doing a lot of testing of possible migration processes. I have encountered a problem converting the catalog from IdI to PSu.

If any of the following are available, could you please point me in their direction:

A. A script to convert a catalog from IdIv5 and SQL Server 2005 to PSuv4 Single Edition

B. A script to index the catalog and thumbnail database appropriately, once resident in PSu

C. I can prepare the catalog for export in two ways, via IdIv5 or SQL2005 to a CSV file. Both require search and replace operations to change single quotes to two single quotes, and to change double quotes to single quotes (Approx 1.6m changes). This is to ensure that the resultant file is suitable for import into SQLite. If I convert via IdI, I need to do a search and replace on the record delimiters as well. My installation of IdI no longer supports export to XML. Is there any further technical reason to prefer one conversion over the other?

I enclose detailed information on the issues facing me to achieve this migration. I do not believe they are relevant to this query, except to expand on the background to my request.
Attachments
forum post attachment.txt
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Hert

Re: IdImager v5 to Photo Supreme v4 migration

Post by Hert » 04 Feb 19 21:54

Apparently you're running the Server edition;

First make a backup of your IDI-V5 catalog

Option 1;
Your biggest issue is that you're using SQLServer 2005. This because it doesn't support some of the features that the latest PSU Server requires. If possible, upgrade your database to at least SQLServer 2008.

After that, install PSU Server Edition (trial) and let it upgrade your database. Once upgraded; follow this to switch to Single User edition: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23417

Option 2:
a. In IDimager, enable ICS writing (if not active yet)
b. Write metadata to your images if they don't have ICS in them
c. Install PSU SIngle User edition
d. In Preferences, enable the Synchronize-Read-ICS setting
e. Import the images from the file system

PSU will then re-generate your catalog based on the ICS schema in your metadata

I recommend Option 2 over Option 1. Try it with a small test set first
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Chris Walton

Post by Chris Walton » 05 Feb 19 17:52

Thank you.

While I am not likely to use option 1, if it becomes necessary, is SQL Server 2017 Express a suitable database to underpin the proposed migration?

Option 2 is my way forward I think. ICS writing is enabled, and has been for a long time. If the catalog is based on a working (partial) image archive, but is a full catalog of all the images, will option 2 still work? The full archive has been moved to a different disc. Do I have to relocate the catalog to point to the full archive? At present I am still setting up testing, and intend to test every step of the process in detail.

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Feb 19 23:31

If you import them from the new location then you don’t have to change anything.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system