script/recipe to generate copy as new version?

fbungarz

script/recipe to generate copy as new version?

Post by fbungarz » 17 Jan 19 23:22

HI all,
I wonder: frequently use an external editor to create a copy of an edited image and then need to use verify folder to import it and version detect to assign it as a subversion of the original.
That's a quite a process of invoking various steps. Now, I wonder: would it be possible to create a copy of the original inside PSu, rename it by adding a suffix to the original version and have PSU automatically assign it as a subversion. All I would then need to do is edit that one externally and refresh the thumbnail.
But I haven't quite figured out how to do this...
Thanks for any advice,
Frank

G8DHE

Re: script/recipe to generate copy as new version?

Post by G8DHE » 17 Jan 19 23:42

You can Copy & Paste to the same folder, select make filenames Unique but then you still need to version them before editing.

edit: Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, M, Ctrl-R, select both files Shift-V does it.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 18 Jan 19 20:41

Not sure if that helps. I usually follow a naming convention appending file names for the versions with suffices like "_print" if its the print version, etc.
So, copy - paste would actually even introduce a necessary additional step of then having to rename the files.
But thanks for the suggestion.
Isn't there perhaps the option to create a recipe that saves a copy. All I need is something like: I select a thumbnail, then hit "save as", modify the file name and the new file automatically is appended as a version to the original.
And then I open it in the external editor, modify it and update the thumbnail...

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 19 Jan 19 5:35

fbungarz - Have you tried the Share feature? Enable Sizing (at first) to enable some of the other options. Specifically, under Catalog Settings, enable "add result as a version of the original". Once everything is set up, disable Sizing. You will be prompted for a folder if you enabled "ask for target location on transfer" under Location. If you are selecting a bunch of photos from several folders, this won't work; but if you are selecting photos from the same folder, it appears to work.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 22 Jan 19 23:21

If you are selecting a bunch of photos from several folders, this won't work; but if you are selecting photos from the same folder, it appears to work.
Unfortunately, that is usually what I do :?
Here my workflow:
(1) in PSu: assemble image originals for specific purpose into Portfolio.
(2) in PSu: find the ones that have not been edited
(3) externally: open them in external editor and before anything else save them by appending "_print" to their name
(4) externally: edit and save them in the same folder
(5) in PSu: verify the folder to add missing images
(6) in PSu: for each one manually add the versions (takes time, because enabling the "add as versions" checkbox does not consistently find the files and if it does often assigns the versions to the wrong placeholder...)

In IDI there used to be a script that automatically generates a copy as a new version, asks which placeholder assign that one to and open it as a file in an external editor. Looking round the script repository I cannot find anything similar.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 22 Jan 19 23:29

Have you tried the Share feature? Enable Sizing (at first) to enable some of the other options. Specifically, under Catalog Settings, enable "add result as a version of the original".
Another problem:
I would not even mind doing this one file at a time. But:
Setting up a transfer, I cannot easily select "same as source file" as the transfer folder. I need to know, where the file is stored to save it in that same location as the main version. If I try to do that one by one in a portfolio of files stored in different folders, finding / remembering where the main version is stored is very cumbersome...

bimo

Post by bimo » 24 Jan 19 10:56

Frank,
if your naming convention for folders is made of metadata fields only you can rely of PSU's tremendous possibilities because the whole renaming features are available within the export function. No great deal then to direct the export to the originating folder (for as many files as you would want to in just one go).
Michael

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 30 Jan 19 17:13

???
Michael (bimo): No idea, what you are talking about. Your response is entirely cryptic to me! Could you explain in a bit more detail?
Thanks!

bimo

Post by bimo » 07 Feb 19 19:58

Frank,

try using "Share/Copy to Folder". In the popup, you may change the file name according to your needs: e.g. add the filepath in the first position to direct the file to copy to the same folder, change the filename with a suffix and tick the appropriate choice to make it a version of the file being copied:
ctf.jpg
ctf.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 470 times

HTH?!
Michael

regex

Post by regex » 04 Jul 19 16:04

It seemed interesting but it does not work (for me at least): the first option "Target location" (not visible on the picture) has priority and can not be disabled, so adding "% FilePath" has no effect. Have I missed something?