No rotation on PhotoLab processed files

Username

No rotation on PhotoLab processed files

Post by Username » 17 Dec 18 7:10

I suddenly noticed that some of my jpegs was not properly rotated in PSu after import.
It appears that NEFs developed with Photolab 2 are not properly rotated and stay in landscape orientation even though they were taken in portrait.

Imported NEF + jpeg shot in portrait do gets rotated and displayed properly.
Open a NEF in Photolab2 and it is displayed properly. Edit it, export it and update PSu with the newly edited photos and they are not properly rotated.
But if I open those photos in another application they are presented with their correct orientation.

I've checked my cameras and they are set up correctly.
I processed the same photos in Capture NX-D and exported to PSu and those are also correctly displayed.
From what I can see, photos imported back in august/september seems to be the last ones to be parsed correctly.

Anyone else noticing this?
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 10 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user

Hert

Re: No rotation on PhotoLab processed files

Post by Hert » 17 Dec 18 8:31

That sounds like a typical misalignment between Exif and XMP. That tool is probably updating the orientation in Exif but it isn't updating the orientation in XMP (do such tools still exist??).

With PSU you can easily fix such misalignment. Right click on thumb -> Metadata -> Convert metadata to XMP. That will re-convert the technical metadata in the file to XMP. After that, update the thumb again

Best to report to the creator of that tool (DxO) that when they update Exif orientation that they should check if XMP is available and if so then update the orientation there also.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Username

Re: No rotation on PhotoLab processed files

Post by Username » 17 Dec 18 10:58

Great!
Will do.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 10 on macOS 10.14
- I'm the user