Newbie question regarding Portfolios

Rhod

Newbie question regarding Portfolios

Post by Rhod » 16 Dec 18 10:08

Hi - first post here. I'm a long term Lightroom user looking to move away from Adobe and currently evaluating Photo Supreme. I will probably purchase imminently to take advantage of the current 20% off offer.

I'm trying to work out something which is probably fairly basic and I could do with some help. I'm a landscape painter and I have several thousand photos of artwork, some of which are of sketches, some of works in progress, some of finished work in oils, acrylics, watercolours etc. I also have a lot of other photos which I'd like to sort eventually. The photos are currently sorted in date order by year/month/day in separate folders (as imported into Lightroom). They were taken on a variety of cameras and some have been converted to DNG.

So as a way of beginning to get some order, I created an 'Artwork' portfolio and dragged every artwork related photo I could find into that (by going laboriously through every date in the timeline, adding the photos to the image basket, then adding them to the sub-collection 'All Artwork'). I then created a sub-collection called 'sketches' and began dragging images of sketches from 'All Artwork' into the image basket ready to move to the sub-collection. I see that there are two options in the basket - 'copy to portfolio collection' and 'move to portfolio collection' but whichever option I choose the image still appears in 'All Artwork'. This makes it very difficult to know (especially as work progresses) which images have been added to a sub-collection and which haven't. I hope I've explained that ok. My goal is for 'All Artwork' to be empty and everything sorted into sub-collections.

Maybe I'm going about this all wrong and there is an easier way, if so I'd be really glad if someone would share it. Otherwise, what am I doing wrong in the Portfolio module please?

Thanks
Rhod

jstartin

Re: Newbie question regarding Portfolios

Post by jstartin » 16 Dec 18 15:04

There are many different ways of using PSu. If I understand your explanation of what you want to do correctly, I would start off by using LABELS (not the same as Keywords and much more powerful). I would create an "Artwork" category at the highest level and below that hierarchical labels. For example I would add, within the category, a top-level label for "Medium" and branches for "oils", "acrylics", "watercolour", "pen and ink", "pencil", "crayon", "charcoal" etc (and add more as the need arises). Another hierarchy might start at "Type", say, with branches for "sketch" and "painting". The details would depend on just what I think I might need to search for later. I would initially assign appropriate photos to the highest level labels (Medium, Type). Later I would work through everything labelled just as "medium", for example, and change the assignment to the appropriate branch.
PSu gives you very powerful search facilities based on labels. I would reserve the Portfolio/Collection mechanism as a way of preserving collections that result from multiple different searches.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; SSD; 16GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 16 Dec 18 15:12

Hi Jim - that's just the sort of answer I was hoping for! I had a feeling there was probably an easier way. I will have a play around this afternoon and make sure I understand how to use labels. Earlier I took the plunge and have bought PS - I don't think I'll regret it. Time to wave by by to Adobe altogether methinks. Thanks again! :)

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 16 Dec 18 21:05

Welcome Rhod, I am sure you will find PSU immensely useful.

To address your post:
What you are doing is what categories/labels are intended for, rather than portfolios, as Jim says.

Portfolios are intended for pulling together the best of your pictures, and potentially (though not necessaruly) across different categories. I suggest you ignore them for the moment.

As Jim says PSU is very flexible and you can use it as you wish, but I do thoroughly recommend using it as per recommendations at first (refer to the PDF documents available via the help menu for guidance in this). I learnt the hard way - I went off in my own direction only to find that Hert's recommendations were, in the end, the best way! There are many ways of using PSU for sure but start off the recommended way.

The image basket is really only a handy (and temporal) way of working on a small subset of pictures - for what you are doing it TBH is only adding an unnecessary step.

As well as drag and drop onto to categories (or portfolios) in the explorer pane on the left, also get familiar with the label assignment panel, as you may also find this a good way to work.

Don't have too many categories at first - you can subdivide later when you need to. I suspect you are going too complicated from the start. You don't need to, it will only make life more hard for you - go simple at first, find your feet with PSU, and one of the beauties of PSU is that you can always subdivide later. Going simple at first will not make life harder for you later (as with some tools), rather it is better and it doesn't close off avenues or cause big rework later.

And just to repeat - it is well worth reading the PDF primers, available through the help menu, up front so you understand the basic concepts a little more.

And finally you will find lots of help in this forum!
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 16 Dec 18 21:51

Thanks Snowman - I will certainly do as you suggest and read the PDF primers! One thing which happened when I imported files was that the RAF (Fuji RAW from a Fuji X30) files and TIFF files seem to have been imported as black and white. Perhaps I should start this as a separate question but if anyone can shed light on how to fix this I'd be grateful.

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 16 Dec 18 22:01

Correction - the TIFFs are ok, it's the RAF (most, not all) and the DNG (most, not all) that are black and white.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 16 Dec 18 23:15

Some advice - don't try to import and work with a large number of files when you first start. You will probably make a few mistakes and may need to start from scratch! Import just enough to give you a cross section of what you need to work with, then explore the application, ask questions in the forum, then begin to decide what YOU need and how you will proceed. PSu is probably as simple and intuitive as it is possible to make it while providing the enormously powerful scope and facilities that it has, but it certainly has a learning curve!
Regarding photos "imported" as black and white - when you import an image the file is not changed. But PSu will try and base its thumbnail and stored preview image on any saved preview embedded in the file. Could it be that you have some RAF files produced with the camera set to produce B&W jpegs?
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; SSD; 16GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Dec 18 23:32

In addition to Jim’s great reply; could it be that you have edited these images to B&W with either CaptureOne/DxO/Lightroom?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 17 Dec 18 9:48

Hi Jim - yes, I'm at the 'experimental' stage so I haven't imported all images yet. I'm working my way through the primer PDF docs which are very helpful. No, I don't think I've ever used the camera set to produce B&W jpegs and Lightroom presents all of the images as colour images so I'm a bit baffled by this. Also, when I open one of the B&W RAW images in Affinity Photo as an external editor, it opens as a colour image!

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 17 Dec 18 9:59

I've just checked and both the b&w RAF files and the b&w DNG files open as colour images in Affinity Photo.

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Dec 18 10:04

Try this;

In PSU's preferences, click File Handling.

There disable DxO, CaptureOne, and Lightroom edits support.
Apply the changed preferences

Select the B/W thumb and press Ctrl+Alt+T (Cmd+Opt+T on macOS) to rebuild the thumb
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Rhod

Post by Rhod » 17 Dec 18 11:13

That fixed it! Brilliant! Thanks Hert - much appreciate your very prompt response.

paulrbarnard

Post by paulrbarnard » 19 Dec 18 2:24

Hi Rhod,
I'm walking the same path as you. I started a week ago and got to the purchase it stage today. If you had already done some labelling in Lightroom before importing to PSU you can make use of the previous data.
As others have said build a tree of categories then you can merge the Lightroom, or other apps, meta data into the categories.
As an example I have something like this under categories
Subject->Nature->Animal->Dog->Spaniel
Subject->Nature->Animal->Dog->Collie
Subject->Nature->Animal-->Cat
Subject->Nature->Animal->Horse
Subject->Nature->Astro->Moon
Subject->Nature->Astro->Milkyway
Subject->Nature->Astro->Planets->Saturn
Subject->Nature->Astro->Planets->Mars

etc...

I already had meta data for Spaniel, for example, in Lightroom so in the categories section after import there was a Lightroom category created in PSU with all the tags from, Lightroom. I found Spaniel under that and used the "Merge with label" option to add all those Lightroom labels to the PSU categories. Where I had Lightroom labels that I hadn't yet created PSU categories I was able to use "Relocate this label" to move it to the right category. It actually went remarkably quickly. I have found categories to be a very powerful aspect of PSU.
The other thing I am loving is versions. I have set up rules that display the version stack in the way I like. If I have a tiff it's at the top, if not it's a jpg, if not then the RAW and then the specific files for the editors that I use.