delete empty folder freezes PSu, requires restart

fbungarz

delete empty folder freezes PSu, requires restart

Post by fbungarz » 20 Nov 18 0:38

Hi all,
deleting images in PSu version 4 is now a lot faster than in version 3. That's great, especially since I still haven't figured out, why PSu does not download all files (see viewtopic.php?f=57&t=27352). So I keep deleting files that were not renamed correctly or where either the NEF or JPG of an image pair was not downloaded.
However, if I try deleting an entire folder (even when empty!) the program hangs and I either need to kill it or wait at least 3 minutes before it becomes responsive again.
Probably should file this in Mantis, but I wonder if anyone else has similar problems. Perhaps this is related to images not downloaded and the program hangs because of some missing reference files that do actually no longer exist...
Thank you,
Frank

G8DHE

Re: delete empty folder freezes PSu, requires restart

Post by G8DHE » 20 Nov 18 11:20

No your not alone, deleting a folder seems to take ages, I've not actually timed it, I will try to remember next time, but it is rather bemusing as to why it should take so long.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

andrew.heard

Post by andrew.heard » 21 Nov 18 0:45

Similar but not quite the same for me. From PSu I created a sub folder then immediately deleted it. I noticed the sub folder was still displayed a few seconds later so I pressed F5 to refresh, then the whole program went unresponsive & Windows grayed out the screen; but ~20s later PSu came back from the dead.

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 18 Jan 19 15:00

Just realised what it might be causing the problem, when you delete a directory in Windows you have the thumbs.db file which needs deleting, now this is often locked and in use by the windows file explorer as its being updated. Had the situation happen this morning, so had a look at what was happening the individual image files had been deleted but the structure was still remaining. At this point I forcibly closed PSU as it was "Not responding" and explored the structure itself and tried deleting and of course the dreaded "thumbs.db" couldn't be removed as it was locked. Once this was overcome using "Unlocker" then all was OK again. I suspect the call to the OS from PSU is suffering the same problem, not sure how "Unlocker" gets over this precisely but I wonder if a similar function could be built into PSU in these situations ?
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)