Out of sync assets

rdv4rjm

Out of sync assets

Post by rdv4rjm » 15 Nov 18 6:20

This topic has indeed been brought out several times.
I think I may say I read most of them, unless I missed the only one which could have helped me out.

1) Using PSU Server Edition, on Mac. Workstations operate some on Windows others on OSX.
As of now, workstations and server computer, all have administrator priveleges.

2) Out-of-Sync happens on workstations only, and any of them, not on the server computer (where database is):

Asset's metadata modified from a workstation, makes this asset out-of-sync as soon as modification is OKed or Applied.
Saving selected asset's metadata to file does not make it in-sync. Software shows activity (bottom left of screen). Red dot remains. File on server is not updated to actual time. Server computer is aware of changes to this specific asset and considers it out-of-sync as well (red dot).
At this point Cmd+S on Server computer saves metadata to disk, asset is considered in-sync, red dot disappears on all computers, Server computer displays changes made on workstation, and file modification time is also updated, metadata has been saved.

This is happening faithfully day after day. Rebooting, reinstalling, removing assets from catalog and verifying folders: I tried all of these hoping to find the cause, or at least a solution. I verified options in preferences, which are still set to default.

At first, I disregarded the red dot, but we quickly found out our work was not being saved.
For now, we make sure to save our work from server computer console. At least we can keep building our project.
If anyone has been through same situation, any advice is very welcome.

Hert

Re: Out of sync assets

Post by Hert » 15 Nov 18 8:13

For the next update I've added a startup parameter that allows you to run a script on startup. Such a script could then sync all the images that are out of sync. You could then schedule that as a task on the server to run at your preferred frequency.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 15 Nov 18 18:51

Thanks Hert!
Looking forward to next update.

Username

Post by Username » 16 Nov 18 6:49

Very nice Hert!

Thank you.
PSu Server 5 & Postgres 12 on macOS 10.14
PSO 5 on Windows Server 2016

- I'm the user

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 16 Nov 18 12:14

Could see that being helpful on the standalone version as well to run early hours each day to make sure everything is in sync!
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Nov 18 13:43

G8DHE wrote:
16 Nov 18 12:14
Could see that being helpful on the standalone version as well to run early hours each day to make sure everything is in sync!
Then good to know that running a script from the command line will also be available in the stand-alone version :)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 17 Nov 18 14:24

Excellent.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 12 Dec 18 6:24

Here's an update about assets shown as out-of-sync, either on server or on workstations.

Photo Supreme considers computer on which files are located, whether it is a workstation or the server, as having complete ownership over these files.

My database files are located on disks on the server.
These files may be accessed from workstation on same subnet, and are allowed to be modified, cataloged, BUT ONLY server may save them.

On the other hand, If new files are imported from a workstation, server, or other workstations are allowed to modify them, catalog them, BUT ONLY workstation which uploaded them from its own disk to catalog, may save them.

This has been tested several times.
At first, I thought server had restricted permissions to other users for writing to its folders. I raised all restrictions, but things remained as explained above.

I was suggested building a script to automate saving files to disk.
Before, proceeding I wondered first, if this behaviour is normal.

If so, has anyone ever written a script for automatically saving files to disk, on scheduled frequency, or based on number of out-of-sync assets?
I miss knowledge in this matter. Some help would be appreciated.

Tnx.
Ron.

Hert

Post by Hert » 12 Dec 18 11:03

Before, proceeding I wondered first, if this behaviour is normal.
If you want clients to be able to write to files then that's a network configuration issue. Make sure that all clients that need access to the original files (e.g. to write) use the same share configuration. But with your option to sync on the server you don't need this which may simplify things for you.
I was suggested building a script to automate saving files to disk.
If so, has anyone ever written a script for automatically saving files to disk, on scheduled frequency, or based on number of out-of-sync assets?
I miss knowledge in this matter. Some help would be appreciated.
https://repository.idimager.com/openres ... B650CEF6A7

Edit the script and enable the last line by removing the leading // characters to let the script terminate the application after it's done.

To run with command line parameter make sure to add the -runscript filename parameter, where filename is the name of the script. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\IDimager Products\Photo Supreme 4\IDimagerSU.exe" -runscript "C:\MyPSUScripts\Sync To File for all Out of Sync Images.psc" 
As an alternative, you could schedule a task in Windows or macOS to call the direct command line task. Use your favorite internet search service to find more on how to schedule tasks in your operating system.

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 15 Dec 18 14:02

Have spent last 2 days swimming across script editors, Lingon, Apple Scripteditor, dLaunch, Automator etc.
With numerous obligations which are mine, it is not yet possible for me to learn scripting, though I want to.
Wasn't expecting this when I choose PSU.
My goal is to build this database.
This are moving along good.
I understand here is not where to get support for OSX.
Where I seem to block is to apply this "direct command line task". According to many posts, most software have a dictionary, which PSU obviously doesn't have.
What's left to aim for, is write a apple script file to run psc script file to run within PSU.
All I managed to do is launch PSU (which was already running) and instead of applying psc script, a text editor would display the content at scheduled sequence.

Could someone help me out with this?
Thanks in advance

Hert

Post by Hert » 15 Dec 18 17:48

In macOS you pass the parameters to the binary, which is inside the application package.

Off the top of my head:
/Applications/Photo Supreme.app/Contents/MacOS/IDImagerSU

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 15 Dec 18 18:28

Will try.
Thanks! Hert

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 16 Dec 18 23:49

Have delayed automatic saving project for a day or 2.
We needed to import important files into the catalog.
Most of assets are scanned slides or negatives, which require inputting all metadata info.
This is what 2 of us did yesterday. Myself on the server and my partner on a workstation.
Every now and then, I would manually save all out-of-sync assets, selecting all of them and hitting cmd+s. I also tried command in Tools. Both seemed to work.
Number of out-of-sync would vary from 10 to 120.
At times I would have to restart PSU which would hang at 80% of the job.
It's been doing this ever since I am in PSU.

By the end of day I realized there were thumbnails with dark gray background and slashed circle.
I tried to rebuild thumbnails without success.
In Finder, same files had lost there thumbnail as well and could not be previewed.
All these files showed as having been modified by both users.
In other words, none of files which only one user worked on was damaged.

Portion of damaged files: 20 over aprox 250.
Metadata was untouched. Picture could not be previewed, neither in PSU or Finder.
I did encounter this problem a month ago. I thought increasing ram would help.
It did. Number of error messages dropped drastically, though saving would hang at times.

I suspect this happened when I triggered Save command on server while other user made changes triggering SAVE command on his station.
Don't know for sure, if this could be the cause.
Though, if I am right, I wonder if even more files will be damaged if server saves on a regular sequence regardless of others activities.

Another aspect: same file could undergo several changes before being saved. Applying same headline to many selected files, then location, then Caption writer etc. Each of these steps could be done quickly in sequence before finally I remembered saving. Should files be saved after each modification? What if multiple users modify same file, in different fields? This could easily happen without knowing.

As of now, before saving, I will make sure, all activity is paused.
Will post results soon.

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 17 Dec 18 7:26

New findings. Here's how I understand PSU in server mode.
Please correct if I'm wrong.

Folders show as GRAY if files are local, RED if files are located remotely.

Folders in RED can not be VERIFIED; files may be modified but cannot be SAVED.

When PSU server version is installed on workstation, once required info is provided, it is linked to server where database is located. All folders show as RED.
We have been working of these red folders since we started.
This explains why files could not be saved, nor folders verified.

Last night, we tried importing one folder of the database as we would files, through network.
That folder became gray, and files could be modified and would save automatically, because folder is now local to computer.

Tomorrow I want to import whole database same way, and then remove red database folder from catalog on workstation.
Hope this works.
If it does, I might not need to write any script to save files.

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Dec 18 8:43

rdv4rjm wrote:
17 Dec 18 7:26
New findings.
Best to create atomic topics, meaning one question per topic and create multiple topics for multiple questions. By embedding several questions into one topic then there's high risk that only part of your questions will be answered.
Here's how I understand PSU in server mode.
Please correct if I'm wrong.

Folders show as GRAY if files are local, RED if files are located remotely.
That is incorrect. GRAY folders are folders that are accessible from the client. RED folders are folders that are not accessible.

For instance, you can have a file in folder /Volumes/Photos/MyTrips/Italy. Since you're running the Server edition then I assume that this folder is on a network share.

On client 1 you import that network folder. The folders are GRAY there.

Client 2 also has the share /Volumes/Photos connected and so /Volumes/Photos/MyTrips/Italy is accessible there as well. This folder is also GRAY there.

Client 3 doesn't have made a mount for /Volumes/Photos. The folder /Volumes/Photos/MyTrips/Italy will be visible in the catalog (as you're seeing the database), but the folder will be RED there. Then make a mount for /Volumes/Photos and the folder then turns to GRAY as well.
Folders in RED can not be VERIFIED; files may be modified but cannot be SAVED.
Folders in RED are not accessible, hence can't be verified. This because the volume is not available and can't be read to make the verification.

Clients can work with RED folder, they can assign labels, and so do all kinds of catalog work on these images. But as there's no access to the physical file they metadata can't be saved to the files.

Back to your architecture. You can have all clients working on the catalog in RED folders. You wanted to use a script on the server side to do the saving for you. If having the files on a network volume that can NOT be shared with all clients then such an approach to have the files saved through the scheduled script would be a great solution. If you want all clients to be able to save to the files, then make sure that the files are stored on a shared and mounted network volume, accessible for all PSU clients.