Is moving the order of catalogue labels in the catalogue tree on left of screen possible?

kbird

Is moving the order of catalogue labels in the catalogue tree on left of screen possible?

Post by kbird » 13 Aug 18 9:40

Hello. I'm new to Photo Supreme and am trying to change the order of catalogue labels in the catalogue tree on left of screen to better suit my proposed usage. For example I want to group particular family members together. Is it possible? Perhaps it isn't even desirable?! Advice would be much appreciated.

jstartin

Re: Is moving the order of catalogue labels in the catalogue tree on left of screen possible?

Post by jstartin » 15 Aug 18 11:19

As far as I know it is not possible to change the sort order of labels in the tree. Grouping labels for easy selection can be achieved by making a suitable hierarchy - People/Relations/Families/"FamilyName"/"GivenName" etc, for example. You can also create label sets that can be displayed together in the label assignment panel (one of the optional panels on the right). Also, perhaps your intended usage could be supported by creating Portfolio Groups.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

snowman1

Re: Is moving the order of catalogue labels in the catalogue tree on left of screen possible?

Post by snowman1 » 15 Aug 18 11:52

Just to explain Jim's last line a bit more, he is referring to the fact that the order of collections within portfolios *can* be altered.
I personally use the hierarchy solution that Jim describes: mine is:
- me
- my family (under this can be another heirarchy or flat depending what suits your need)
- - a
- - b
- - etc
- partner
- partner's family (under this can be another heirarchy or flat depending what suits your need)
- - x
- - y
- - etc
- z.friends (prefixed by "z." to bring this below family)
- - xx
- - yy
- - etc
- z.others (prefixed by "z." to bring this below family)
- - xx
- - yy
- - etc

The general rule of labels (and indeed life) applies: only organise as specifically as you need to, else you make work for yourself and overcomplicate things. It's easy to subdivide later if you need to.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

kbird

Post by kbird » 16 Aug 18 14:48

Thank you jstartin and snowman1 for most helpful replies. I can see a way forward now.

I'd been tempted to import my whole picture collection initially but the help pdfs provided in the app suggested small groups and indeed I used just 4 images initially.

That was a good move but moving on to more images I'd got bogged down a bit and the label sort had preoccupied me.

I think the advice of minimum work to get where you need to be is good. I'd been building a label structure that was for photos I hadn't imported yet and was making things unnecessarily difficult. I'll go away and work on a larger set of photos now and see how the labels develop naturally bearing in mind your advice. Portfolio groups I hadn't thought of using but I see they would be most useful.