Image size (pixel x pixel) of raw files are displayed incorrectly in Info Panel

Alfons

Image size (pixel x pixel) of raw files are displayed incorrectly in Info Panel

Post by Alfons » 04 Jul 18 9:38

I noticed that the image size of raw files of certain camera models (Fujifilm X-Pro1/X-Pro2, Nikon D500) are displayed incorrectly in the Info Panel(always too small e.g. 1920 x 1280 instead of 4896 x 3624 for X-Pro1). Other cameras like Nikon D300, Nikon D4 are not affected. Any idea how to correct that?
Thanks and best regards,
Alfons

Hert

Re: Image size (pixel x pixel) of raw files are displayed incorrectly in Info Panel

Post by Hert » 04 Jul 18 14:06

Image Dimensions are read from the metadata of the image. Some camera's write wrong values in the dimension fields for RAW files. They then write the size of the preview in there. Some cameras don't write anything and then there's no way to determine the dimensions.

You can check the metadata by right click on the thumbnail and then select "Run Script from Repository" -> Metadata -> Full Exif Dump. To see what ExifTool reports, you can also try the "Run Script from Repository" -> Metadata -> ExifTool Metadata Output

I tried it here on a sample Pro1 image I have here and this is what ExifTool reports;
exiftool-FujiPro1.jpg
exiftool-FujiPro1.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 677 times

I expect that a Pro1 has a lot more pixels than that. But this is what is written by the camera.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Alfons

Re: Image size (pixel x pixel) of raw files are displayed incorrectly in Info Panel

Post by Alfons » 04 Jul 18 16:35

Hert, I can reproduce what you show. However when shooting raw+jpg, the raw dimensions are 1920 x 1280 (as you show) and the jpg dimensions are 4896 x 3264 (=16 MP) which is correct. BTW Adobe Bridge shows the correct dimensions for both, raw and jpg. Any comments?

Thanks and best regards
Alfons

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Jul 18 9:42

You also mention the Nikon D500, but that cam reads fine here.
Maybe you come from an old database? Try right click->Metadata->Convert metadata to XMP. That also updates the dimensions in the database.

The next update will report the dimensions for the mentioned Fuji cams. Then too you must re-convert metadata to get the dimensions in the database updated.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Alfons

Post by Alfons » 06 Jul 18 8:36

Indeed, conversion of metadata to XMP corrects the dimensions for the D500!