import PhaseOne MediaPro v2.3 catalog?

david mantripp

import PhaseOne MediaPro v2.3 catalog?

Post by david mantripp » 10 Jun 18 18:52

Hi,

I know there is some trick to this involving export to XML, but it isn't documented, as far asa I can see, and I can find anything through a forum search, so ... please ... what are the steps to import a PhaseOne MediaPro v2.3 catalog into Photo Supreme v4.1 ?

Thanks
David

Hert

Re: import PhaseOne MediaPro v2.3 catalog?

Post by Hert » 11 Jun 18 0:33

Easiest is to just import the file from the file system using “Import from Folder” in the hamburger menu.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

david mantripp

Post by david mantripp » 11 Jun 18 19:10

I'm maybe missing the point here, but if I do:

1. choose "Import from MediaPro" from Data>
2. Browse to a ".mpcatalog" file

then the file is not selectable.

I've tried older versions of MediaPro files, going back to Expression Media, and nothing.

Trying (e.g) "Import from Lightroom" allows me to select a Lightroom catalog.

Hert

Post by Hert » 11 Jun 18 22:50

The Media Pro import expects an XML file as exported from MediaPro.

But again, I recommend to import the file from the file system instead of importing from the file.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

david mantripp

Post by david mantripp » 13 Jun 18 7:35

So, basically you're telling me that the feature doesn't work?

That's not really what I expect when I pay this amount of money. Version 4 is actually a big step forward, imho, in terms of usability and intuitiveness in exposing Photo Supreme's core concepts and strengths. And it seems to perform better and seems a lot more stable than v3. And therefore I have (had?) finally decided to commit to it 100%.

But I have literally decades of work in MediaPro catalogs that I want to import, that I imagined I could import (the _catalogs_, Hert, not the files, I imagine you of all people understand the difference) based on the clear, unambiguous "Import from MediaPro" menu item. And now you're telling me that's a sham?

And yes, I know all about writing keywords to file, to xmp, to whatever. All fine in its own limited way (and actually in some cases not fine at all). But that is NOT "Import from MediaPro".

Hert

Post by Hert » 13 Jun 18 8:15

I’m not saying it doesn’t work.
The XML export file that MP creates contains less than what MP writes to the metadata and so importing from file metadata will give you a better result. Use the regular import. Try it on one or two files and check what roles in.

david mantripp

Post by david mantripp » 13 Jun 18 13:12

ok... if that's the best I can have I guess I'll have to live with it.

I basically assumed that "Import" meant that you could read the .mpcatalog file. It doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption, since the menu option is at a peer level to other options which clearly do read the "native" formats.

Never mind.