How to set Metadata flag as "synced" without read/ write?

RobiWan

How to set Metadata flag as "synced" without read/ write?

Post by RobiWan » 28 May 18 8:53

Hi,

how can I tell PSU that all metadata on the disk and in the database is synchronous? In this case, I don't want PSU to read something from the disk or write it to the disk. It's just supposed to make the entry in the database that everything's fine.

Hert

Re: How to set Metadata flag as "synced" without read/ write?

Post by Hert » 28 May 18 22:30

That would be cheating :)
The image should only be in-sync in PSU when PSU is sure that it is in sync. Setting the sync state yourself breaches with the flow of the application. Why are you convinced that PSU knows everything that it needs to know? And then why are they not in-sync in PSU already? And why not read or write out of sync images to set them as in-sync?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 29 May 18 5:27

Hert wrote:
28 May 18 22:30
Why are you convinced that PSU knows everything that it needs to know? And then why are they not in-sync in PSU already? And why not read or write out of sync images to set them as in-sync?
Now in this spezial case: I have imported ~5000 new photos into PSU, then I saw my copyright notice was not correctly set in *.xmp files. To change this I need ~1 Minute with Powershell. PSU needs here more than 1 hour.

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 May 18 8:52

Then when you’d manually change the sync state (which you can’t) then PSU won’t know about the changed copyright and will overwrite it without the copyright when other changes are written back to the files. You’d be messing things up big time in the long term.
With DAM, the truth is in the catalog, not the file system (as explained in The DAM Book). Think from the catalog. Either change the files on the file system and import changes, or change in PSU and optionally write to files.

But it doesn’t take an hour to update the copyright for 5k file’s that are already fully imported in the database, is it? Did you try that?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 29 May 18 10:27

Hert wrote:
29 May 18 8:52
With DAM, the truth is in the catalog, not the file system (as explained in The DAM Book).
Where the truth lies only I can know.
Now everything is fine, I have solved it "differently".
Hert wrote:
29 May 18 8:52
But it doesn’t take an hour to update the copyright for 5k file’s that are already fully imported in the database, is it? Did you try that?
Of course I tried it. PSU is just slow. Often I don't care because I can do something different, sometimes like here, it bothers me and then I see how I can solve the problem I have differently.
For the future I know how I will solve such situations "differently".

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 04 Jun 18 20:28

Hert,
when you change anything within the Details Panel for many files, it does indeed take ages.
When you click on the OK button it seems that PSU is writing to the files already, without the file being in sync...

Cheers,
Michael
PSUServer 5.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 07 Jun 18 22:50

RobiWan wrote:
29 May 18 10:27
For the future I know how I will solve such situations "differently".
In the spirit of the forum and for the benefit of all, why don't you share your solution?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 08 Jul 18 19:47

Stephen wrote:
07 Jun 18 22:50
why don't you share your solution?
That wouldn't be a good idea. Some SQL commands did exactly what I needed