fuzzy font

fbungarz

fuzzy font

Post by fbungarz » 30 Mar 18 17:01

Dear Hert,
this is not really a bug, so I am not sure if to report it in Mantis. Still, it is increasingly "bugging" me (pun intended :mrgreen:):

I love the new version 4 interface, much cleaner!
Unfortunately it seems that the rendering of fonts works somewhat different, which is especially noticeable for the custom thumb-info (yes, I noticed that I had to change font size for that custom thumb-info, else it was rendered so tiny that it became illegible. However, the custom stars are also rendered quite fuzzy...).

On my screen (and I do not have one of the fancy high-res monitors) the the fonts look overall a lot less clear. Especially the thumb-info looks extremely fuzzy. The fonts for the thumb-info are most strongly affected. The other font is alright, the fuzziness not ideal but tolerable...
The difference can also be seen in the login-screen.

The thumb info is very important for my workflow, so I find this increasingly irritating.

I have experimented with different Windows settings, turning anti-aliasing and clear type font on and off. Using the Windows 10 font tool I also tried to better calibrate the font rendering. Oddly enough, the rendering of all fonts in PSU can be changed this way, but the appearance of the thumb-info cannot be modified by the different Windows system settings at all! The thumbnail info always stays the same, it is always fuzzy.

This probably has to do with support for higher-res monitors added in V4. And I am sure you are currently very busy migrating the MacOS version to 64bit. But perhaps it is something that can be easily fixed? I would already be quite happy if the custom thumb-info used the same font as the rest of the system, slightly more fuzzy than v4, but not that bad...

Alternatively, since the custom thumb-info is encoded in HTML, van I perhaps force it to turn font rendering off (or use a different, less fuzzy font)?

Here some screenshots that illustrate the difference:
The attachment PSU_v3-v4_custom-font.jpg is no longer available
The attachment PSU_v3-v4_custom-font.jpg is no longer available
Thanks for looking into it!!!

Cheers,
Frank
Attachments
PSU_v3-v4_custom-font.jpg
PSU_v3-v4_custom-font.jpg (227.31 KiB) Viewed 627 times

andrew.heard

Re: fuzzy font

Post by andrew.heard » 30 Mar 18 23:04

I agree.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 03 Apr 18 21:32

Any update on this? Of course it is great that now high-resolution monitors are supported, but less so if that means PSu looks crappy on a low res monitor. I cannot really afford to buy a new monitor just because PSu now supports them. besides, the EIZO that I have is really a great monitor covering essentially the entire gamut of AdobeRGB and to me that is more important than higher pixel density. I would really much appreciate if it was possible to configure PSu 4 to give me the same clear type font on this screen as I was used to get from version 3. :mrgreen:
... well, well - probably still too busy to get 4.1 for Mac to work :wink:

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Apr 18 1:27

As one of the translators you also have access to 4.1 early beta for Windows. Have you tried that already?
4.1 is not only for macOS.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 05 Apr 18 17:26

4.1 is not only for macOS.
Ahhh... did not know that and will give it a try.