Rotation and recipes

barneagle

Rotation and recipes

Post by barneagle » 28 Mar 18 12:50

For some time I've been puzzled by seeing some photos not correctly oriented when viewed in Windows Explorer or other programs or when exported to other devices. I've just realised that this may relate to the fact that rotation changes within Photo Supreme are recorded as "recipes" and presumably are not recorded within the jpg (other than within XMP tags specifying the recipe details). I suspect that, as a result, when I copy and/or export the file to view elsewhere the rotation is not reflected as I would expect.

I cannot see any reference to the word "recipe" in any of the Help files or in the program's menus. All I have noticed is the recipe indicator popping up on affected thumbnails leading to an option to edit the recipe.
Where are recipes documented?
How can I apply the recipe permanently to the picture data within the jpg file?
Is it possible to set a preference for rotations (whether applied by the [ ] bracket keys or by a menu) to be immediately applied to the picture data?

barneagle

Re: Rotation and recipes

Post by barneagle » 29 Mar 18 11:14

I've found
- the "save the image with changes in this recipe ..." option in the recipe edit window
- the "recipe flattening" option in the Batch window

Both of these seem to have the same result: the rotation appears to be applied twice (so the result is wrongly oriented). How can I prevent this duplication?

Hert

Post by Hert » 29 Mar 18 12:35

The most common reason (99% of the cases) for incorrect orientation is a misalignment between the Exif orientation tag and the XMP orientation tag. Try this:

1. Right click on a thumb
2. Select Metadata -> Convert metadata to XMP
3. Check your thumb, optionally update it with Ctrl+Alt+T (Cmd+Opt+T on macOS) to be sure that the thumb is up to date
4. Is the thumb's orientation incorrect then correct it with [ or ] to be straight up
5. Make sure the metadata is written back to the file with Ctrl+S / Cmd+S

Does that help?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

barneagle

Post by barneagle » 29 Mar 18 20:59

Thanks, Hert, for your advice.

I've followed these steps for one of the problem photos but that did not resolve the issue. However, I then started with afresh with copies of a couple of photos taken straight from the camera and repeated the steps (rotation, labelling, etc) without encountering any issues, so I imagine I must have somehow corrupted the problem photos.

I shall try in future to keep a close watch on my work flow and see if I can spot what I have done wrong in the past.

I'm sorry to have troubled you with this.