Certain Photos Cannot be Synced

Rcarlson

Certain Photos Cannot be Synced

Post by Rcarlson » 19 Mar 18 14:18

I've spent a couple hours now looking through these forums and trying every possible fix for this but I am just at a loss.
Usually, if a photo is coming up as out of sync I can right click, and use Metadata>Save Data To File. And that clears up the issue no problem.
But then I will get photos (so far it seems like it's all from the same photoset) that this cannot fix. I've tried checking the permission of the folders & the photos. Copying the photos to a different location and re-importing. But all of these with no result. I'm trying to pitch this program for use in my department but an issue like this could be a deal breaker if we cannot find a fix. Is there anyone who has experience with this?

Hert

Re: Certain Photos Cannot be Synced

Post by Hert » 19 Mar 18 14:37

Would it be possible to send me a copy of one of these files? This looks like there's some corrupt metadata in the images which I'd like to verify. You can send to support@idimager.com

Thank you
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Rcarlson

Post by Rcarlson » 19 Mar 18 14:41

Sure thing, I just sent you a raw and jpg from the photoset that I am having issues with. Thank you for taking a look at these!

rskelly2808

Post by rskelly2808 » 20 Mar 18 14:38

Rcarlson, did you resolve your out of sync issue ? I am having a problem with a few of my photos also. Thanks in advance.

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 03 Sep 18 16:01

Was this finally resolved? I have 78 jpg images that stubbornly refuse to sync when I select tools / save metadata to file for all out of sync images. The other 4000+ images from the same series sync.

Hert

Post by Hert » 04 Sep 18 7:43

Did you check that the file exists on the file system (right click on the thumb -> Locate in Windows Explorer or Locate in Finder on macOS).
If the file exists, try to re-import the metadata for that thumb (right click -> metadata -> Read metadata from file)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 05 Sep 18 2:06

In the Out of Sync state, I select all and then select verify files and I get a dialog proposing to remove the images since hey no longer exist. I click start processing and then nothing happens. If I select verify folders for files instead, it shows a dialog box for every folder that has missing images but then the box closes.
From the folder view, I select verify folder from the top folder and it finds them. It shows the results (three types of issues. It works on the first issue (new folders) and then the dialog box closes before I get to select the second and third issues.

While I'm developing (evaluating, modifying and deleting the images in DXO, the folders and their contents are very fluid. Perhaps I should wait to classify them until the major part of that work is done and the folder structure and images are more stable. Naturally new folders and images will always be created as new sets are exported by DXO. One of the banes of having segregated workflows for DAM, and image manipulation. And then there is Affinity for major editing.

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Sep 18 10:03

Hi vkfoto, did you try the steps I gave? For now, please follow those because then I can understand what is going on.

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 05 Sep 18 12:37

In the States (out-of sync), there are 80 items. right click -> metadata -> Read metadata from file goes through the motions, nothing changes.
Next I right click -> operations -> verify files. The dialog box reports 72 and offers to remove them. I click start process. The verification service appears on the bottom left, and then closes.
I had already compacted the database and thumbnails over night, closed PS and reopened.
I've looked in the folder with Windows explorer and they are not there.
Going directly in folder view to the sub folder to do a verify files also shows them as not synced.
Ghosts in the machine?

Hert

Post by Hert » 05 Sep 18 12:47

If the files are not there then you should be able to press Del to remove them from the catalog

vkfoto

Post by vkfoto » 05 Sep 18 22:23

After the latest upgrade to 1649 I tried again using the verify files option, no change. Next I selected all of the out of sync and selected Delete which prompted me to remove the files from the database.

That worked. Since results matter, it is done but was I using the verify files option in the wrong way?

G8DHE

Post by G8DHE » 06 Sep 18 11:40

I've always assumed that Verify compares database with metadata in file and then shows up the differences to be changed.
If the file is missing then it can't compare at all, so leaves it alone.
If there is a new file then I would expect it to be read into the database.
Geoff Mather (G8DHE)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 07 Sep 18 22:11

Since the last update I am now experiencing this too. When I try to synchronize certain images, the whole program freezes :(

I believe this might have something to do with the recent thumbnail custom info fix (so that the html tags would no longer be displayed, when custom info is being displayed). The reason, why I suspect this: for the offending files that no longer sync the custom thumb info no longer gets displayed, the program hangs and after restarting the thumb info is still gone...

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 07 Sep 18 22:27

I am sending you the offending files. I tried writing to them using ExifTool GUI, that also gives me an error...

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 08 Sep 18 0:11

PS: I noticed that since the last update closing the database the idimager.exe process continues to run. Perhaps related to the issue or not. I have sent you the offending images...