Single or Server?!

Username

Single or Server?!

Post by Username » 20 Feb 18 0:24

I'm been looking for a DAM for a while and actually ran into PS for the first time a week ago and I really like it.
What I can not decide is which version to choose and the 15% discount is soon gone and I have not had time to try the Server Edition yet. Only Single which seems very nice!

I have a lot of images I would like to get managed better. I'm not a professional but I've done photography my whole life.
I would most likely be the one doing most of the work importing and sorting but my daughter is a very skilled photographer and it would be great for her to at least browse and work with PS and edit with her own DxO 11.

My photos are stored on a local server.
I'm running both a MacBook Pro and a stationary Mac.
My daughter is on a MBA and my wife does Windows.

- A Single install would mean I need to sync my db between Macs right?
Can I still have my photos on the server over gigabit network or do they need to be stored locally to keep up the speed?

- A Server license would mean I'm still the only one able to managed and access the photos.
Can I have admin role from both my Macs, one at a time?
Hert had some ideas which would allow me to do both the Admin on one Mac and client on another with the same license.
Still this would not allow my family do do anything. Correct, right?

Unless any of those solutions above do work, it's a massive $920 cost for a 5 client server license... which I'm unable to afford.

I wish there was an option to buy one server and one additional user licence to go with it.
Almost that two Single would make more sense for me.

I would like to be able to run Admin from both my Macs if possible.
At least from one and client from another.
But my daughter and wife would need to be able to browse and export photos when they need. And my daughter would nee do be able to import, edit and export photos by her self.

Do you have any ideas or guidance for me?

I'm an old Capture NX2 and Aperture user, then I got the Capture One 10 and lost my patience with it due to the bugs and other stuff.
Now I mainly use PhotoLab and Nikon NX-D.
- I'm the user

Username

Re: Single or Server?!

Post by Username » 20 Feb 18 19:25

Does any one know if it'spossible to buy licences in other then 5-pack?
The information about licenses are pretty thin on the public website.

Can I buy lets say one or two licenes for the server edition to cover my famiy needs?
How much does one licence cost?
- I'm the user

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Feb 18 19:29

Sure, click the option to get one license and change the amount to 2
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Username

Post by Username » 20 Feb 18 20:02

Hert wrote:
20 Feb 18 19:29
Sure, click the option to get one license and change the amount to 2
Thank you Hert for the swift reply.

On the order page - the only option I have is to set the number of Server Editions I want.
So buying another one more licence for my wife a daughter to share for browsing and some importing/exporting would cost me the same as yet another server stand alone installation? Or I am doing something wrong on the order page?
485,00 USD incl taxes is a quite steep for a two licence usage. And thats with a 15% discount.

I love the idea but then a couple of single user solutions would be for more cost efficient.

I need to think some more about this.
- I'm the user

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 21 Feb 18 3:27

I don't use the server edition but according to the license terms, if I'm interpreting them correctly, it appears that you can have as many users as you want on one license, they just can't use it concurrently. In other words, as long as your wife and/or daughter aren't using Photo Supreme at the same time as you, you don't need an additional license. I realize that might not help you but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Tom Stoddard

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 21 Feb 18 6:47

Tom is right...
You may even create several users with different rights.
Users are not licenses! Not sure the term is correct, but the licenses are floating...
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Username

Post by Username » 21 Feb 18 23:11

Thanks all!

I bought the server and have done the initial setup.
Will post some workflow questions in another thread.
- I'm the user