PSu V4 not reading Fuji RAF Exif on import?

simato73

PSu V4 not reading Fuji RAF Exif on import?

Post by simato73 » 18 Feb 18 23:19

I have just returned from a short trip where I was importing each day the new photos into PSu and something was not wrong, but I could not tell what because at the end of the day I was too tired.
I shoot RAW + JPEG and the versions would not be recognized.

When I came home I noticed that the file names of each pair of files were different.
I apply renaming on import as follows:

CustomText_CameraModel_Filename

Camera model is read from Exif. The renaming works correctly for JPEG files but not for raw files.
For example I get:

Killin_X-T1_DSF9994.JPG
Killin_DSC9994.RAF

The same happens with my other Fuji camera, an X-T2. This never happened before with V3, which did not have this problem.
Has anyone else found this problem?
Is it specific of Fuji cameras?
Does Hert know of it?

This is causing my workflow immense damage.

In addition, importing into the catalog seems to have become even slower than it was in V3... just a few hundred images from one card seem to take forever, the program seems to hang and becomes unresponsive.
Simone

simato73

Re: PSu V4 not reading Fuji RAF Exif on import?

Post by simato73 » 18 Feb 18 23:25

I should also add that the JPG and RAF files are not imported to same folder, as instructed in my import recipe.
For a certain "Date_Event" folder there should be subfolders called Model1, Model2, etc., which are created during the import process.
The JPG files are imported in the Date_Event/ModelX folder, but the RAF files, in addition to having the wrong name, are imported in Date_Event, not one folder down as instructed.
Simone

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Feb 18 6:37

Can you send me a RAF plus JPG couple?
support@idimager.com
In addition, importing into the catalog seems to have become even slower than it was in V3...
It shouldn't be. What could be the case is that you use a larger preview size in Preferences that now exceeds the preview size of the RAF file and so PSU needs to fully convert the RAW file with DCRAW which is about 30 times slower than reading a preview. Of course it could also be related to the other issue because if PSU doesn't read your RAW exif then it could be that it can't read the preview either.

BTW; you can quickly check is the Exif can be read or not. Right click on a RAW file -> Run Script from Repository -> Metadata -> Full Exif Dump.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

simato73

Post by simato73 » 19 Feb 18 19:38

Hert wrote:
19 Feb 18 6:37
Can you send me a RAF plus JPG couple?
support@idimager.com
In addition, importing into the catalog seems to have become even slower than it was in V3...
It shouldn't be. What could be the case is that you use a larger preview size in Preferences that now exceeds the preview size of the RAF file and so PSU needs to fully convert the RAW file with DCRAW which is about 30 times slower than reading a preview. Of course it could also be related to the other issue because if PSU doesn't read your RAW exif then it could be that it can't read the preview either.

BTW; you can quickly check is the Exif can be read or not. Right click on a RAW file -> Run Script from Repository -> Metadata -> Full Exif Dump.
I have indeed increased the preview size to 2560 from 1920, which may have triggered the DCRAW conversion. Previously in V3 I was using 1920.
All my raw files are compressed; the X-T1 files were processed and a preview was generated, but the X-T2 files were not and I got "Error while converting RAW file. (1)(0)".
Trying to dump the Exif crashed PSu - this happened for files from both cameras.
I have uploaded to Dropbox JPEG+RAF pairs of files from both cameras, link by email.
Simone

simato73

Post by simato73 » 20 Feb 18 18:57

Quick update for those following.
Hert is working on an update.
In the meantime, I have discovered that DCRAW does not support Fuji X-T2 raw files (2 years after launch, the flagship model?!).
A preview size of 2560 was triggering DCRAW conversion, hence the error message.
I have now reverted to 1920 sized previews.
This is far from optimal, but not something Hert can do anything about, I fear.
I still get a crash when trying a full exif dump (X-T1 and X-T2 are no different here).
Simone

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Feb 18 19:07

Build 1023 was released today and fixes the Fuji Exif reading.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system