PSu v4 UI (user interface) bloopers

freudenthaler

PSu v4 UI (user interface) bloopers

Post by freudenthaler » 09 Feb 18 20:37

Whether you like or dislike the flat UI design, whether you like or dislike the new panel arrangement...well, I suppose it's up to one's personal taste. If you are a supporter of the slogan "less is more" chances are high, that you will vote in favour the flat design. And of course, the flat UI style meets the "zeitgeist" (spirit of the time).

For myself what can I say? I can live with it - or to be honest, I am still undecided. I quite liked the old design. But definitely it doesn't offend me.

But what really annoys me is a UI that's wasting my monitors space. An that's true with the new layout of PSu v4.

What is the sense of the PSu logo in the upper left corner wasting nearly a whole row of 3440px (the width of my main monitor)?
v4WastedSpaceMenuBar.png
v4WastedSpaceMenuBar.png (144.56 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Why not adding the menu & category item to that top most row?

Another design flaw is the layout of the filter bar:
v4WastedSpaceFilterBar.png
v4WastedSpaceFilterBar.png (35 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Why is there no dynamic layout of the content, wrapping due to available space?

The reason I bought v4 instantly (without trying out this version prior) are the dynamic collection. Beside the functionality, which I regard well designed (include, exclude feature) and thus intuitive to use, the dialog layout hurts my eyes:
v4DynColl.png
v4DynColl.png (26.61 KiB) Viewed 523 times
What about consistency of functionality? The dialog owns/shows the same function as the dynamic search panel: making "and" or "or" queries. But they use different UI elements...why? The dynamic search panel offers tool tips whereas the dynamic collection dialog does not. For which reason?
v4Search-DynColl.png
v4Search-DynColl.png (51.67 KiB) Viewed 523 times
I'm a passionate amateur photographer. I am dealing with picture composition and therefore I'm sensible to aesthetics. Most photographers are, right?
Isn't PSu mainly made for us photographers? Shouldn't it therefore also take care of a good user interface design? I regard the efficient use of monitor space as part of good UI design, so why not spend a little bit (more) effort on good UI design/layout? What's your opinion?

Just another small discovery: the green Green colour label within the filter bar ( gradient from R116 G124 B28 --> R194 G228 B98) is not the same green, which is assigned to the pictures (assigned green label colour is R201 G231 B104) – any reasons for this?
v4LabelColor.png
v4LabelColor.png (10.71 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Sorry for the maybe(?) harsh words (not being an English native speaker I'm not very sensible to the fine differences the English language is offering).
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | PSU 4 | Win 10/64 on AMD FX |

KeesdH

Re: PSu v4 UI (user interface) bloopers

Post by KeesdH » 10 Feb 18 8:49

To get rid of the top bar use F11. To get rid of the PSU logo use CTRLM.
Hope this helps at least a little bit.

freudenthaler

Re: PSu v4 UI (user interface) bloopers

Post by freudenthaler » 10 Feb 18 10:49

Thanks for the hint. Ctrl+M is not useful for me, since it also hides the catalog tree. F11 would be perfect, if it could get rid of the PSu-logo but would keep the search field.
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | PSU 4 | Win 10/64 on AMD FX |