Multiple questions

RobiWan

Multiple questions

Post by RobiWan » 01 Feb 18 10:49

Hi,

For clarifying:
I have server License and Single User and my preferred RAW editor is Capture One.

1. Is there a way to export my created Keyword List from Server Edition or Single User and import it into another edition (Single User or Server Edition)? But so that the existing entries are overwritten - Places, People..... and not that they create a new structure?

2. Is there a Setting that PSU can see if the "Metadata on Disk (xmp files) has been changed"?

3. If I import new images into PSU and change source directory, PSU ask me always whether I want to save changes in my import profile. Is there a way to set "no I don't and ask no more"?

4. Is there a way to run a action (script I think) after import new Images? As example - PSU and C1 don't have switch or setting for "rejected" files. C1 known 7 color labels, PSU 5. So i would like use the 2 color labels from C1 to mark absolutely best and worst photos.
So my idea I give in C1 one image color "orange" and import it later into PSU. After Import runs a script and see "here are 10 images labeled with color orange" and then remove this color-label and give for images a keyword "best". This is quickly constructed what I expect from such an automatically running script. I think it would be really great and would expand the possibilities of PSU again significantly

Hert

Re: Multiple questions

Post by Hert » 01 Feb 18 16:08

Ouch, multiple questions in one topic....that will create lots of noise when the different questions lead to their own discussion.
RobiWan wrote:
01 Feb 18 10:49
1. Is there a way to export my created Keyword List from Server Edition or Single User and import it into another edition (Single User or Server Edition)? But so that the existing entries are overwritten - Places, People..... and not that they create a new structure?
That is VERY tricky but here's a script that can do it. USE WITH CARE. Make a backup before running the import;
http://repository.idimager.com/openreso ... BA39394939
2. Is there a Setting that PSU can see if the "Metadata on Disk (xmp files) has been changed"?
PSU does that by default. Not for network drives though.
3. If I import new images into PSU and change source directory, PSU ask me always whether I want to save changes in my import profile. Is there a way to set "no I don't and ask no more"?
There's no option to prevent that. You can press Esc if you don't want to save.
4. Is there a way to run a action (script I think) after import new Images? As example - PSU and C1 don't have switch or setting for "rejected" files. C1 known 7 color labels, PSU 5. So i would like use the 2 color labels from C1 to mark absolutely best and worst photos.
So my idea I give in C1 one image color "orange" and import it later into PSU. After Import runs a script and see "here are 10 images labeled with color orange" and then remove this color-label and give for images a keyword "best". This is quickly constructed what I expect from such an automatically running script. I think it would be really great and would expand the possibilities of PSU again significantly
That is possible. But someone would have to write such a script. Best to stop using the "extra" colors in C1. I never understood why PhaseOne keeps on using non-standard numbers of color labels: 7 where everyone uses 5 (in the past it was 10 I believe). The informal industry standard is to use 5 color labels.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 01 Feb 18 17:57

RobiWan wrote:
I have server License and Single User and my preferred RAW editor is Capture One.
Which version of Capture One are you using?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 01 Feb 18 20:03

>1. Export - Import Keyword List from and to PSU Databases
>Script from Hert

Thank you Hert! Will try in about a month or so when I create a new database for a new project. Up to recently I have been re-entering. However, for my current project I tried something different. I created a new database, made the Categories the same as the previous project, within the new database I deleted the Keywords / Labels beneath the Categories, went to the previous database and copied the Keywords / Labels from a Category and pasted them under the Category in the new database. Repeat for each Category. Rather quick process. It appeared to work: have been working with the database for months without any issues. That was going to be my new step for subsequent databases.

>4. Is there a way to run a action (script I think) after import new Images? As example - PSU and C1 don't have switch or setting for "rejected" files. C1 known 7 color labels, PSU 5. So i would like use the 2 color labels from C1 to mark absolutely best and worst photos.

I use LR. I recommend finding the common denominators between the programs one uses. In some cases, I have created small workarounds (again based on common denominators between the programs) that are easier for me to remember or use. For the color labels, I typically use two or three that are shared. After import, I use the Filter - Filter Bar and go to those colors and apply the necessary metadata and changes.

Within LR, I have a few Category-Keyword structures that make the transition perfectly into PSU after import. These are similar to your "best" keyword example. Thus, I am doing that step in LR. Not after import into PSU. Not sure this can be done in C1, but maybe it can.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 02 Feb 18 11:14

Stephen wrote:
01 Feb 18 17:57
Which version of Capture One are you using?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 02 Feb 18 15:37

RobiWan wrote:
I'm still using C1 V10 and work in this manner. I mark any images suitable for editing in PSu and then open C1. Then I mark the best and second best with 2 different colour labels in C1, but I don't use any other marking features in C1, either ratings or meta data. I sort the edited images by colour and export only the coloured images to PSu. I can then either tell PSu to ignore the colours or verify that it marked them correctly. It works well and quickly and I don't need a script.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

RobiWan

Post by RobiWan » 05 Feb 18 7:10

Stephen wrote:
02 Feb 18 15:37
I mark any images suitable for editing in PSu and then open C1.
My idea was a bit different. C1 is much faster and accurate with rendering than PSU. So I wanted to open the images first in C1 and just mark extra with color-labels that are not used otherwise.The other colors I use to mark status of the image - done, in progress, for WEB, print, rejected.
I see how I can do it a little differently, because - I have no idea about Pascal ;)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 05 Feb 18 15:08

I don't think there is a right or a wrong way. My line of thought from the outset was just to have everything catalogued in PSu initially*, even if images are not immediately edited (in C1 or whatever) and used. They are always in PSu for future use and can be found easily.

* This also suited my workflow. PSu has a superior catalogue so it's easier to add any relevant meta data, authorship, etc., when importing. I would not rely on any meta data which you add to C1 to arrive back in PSu.

This is an old note of mine which I have just found. I don't know whether it is still valid as I have not spent the time to test it.
"Warning: If you add a color rating in C1 and then a keyword or description or anything in PSu, then if PSu does not have the same color rating, then it will be overwritten in C1. Important when you review photos in C1 again"