How to create thumbnails for mp4 video?

acertain

How to create thumbnails for mp4 video?

Post by acertain » 16 Jul 17 3:35

Hey all -

I got a bunch of MiniDV videos that I converted to H.264 using ffmpeg. When I imported them into Photo Supreme, it couldn't create thumbnails (it just left me with little VLC icons). Do you know how I can either add thumbnails to the video file so that Photo Supreme can pick them up or script some other solution (e.g. I could use ffmpeg to extract a frame as a jpg with the same name - is there a way to tell Photo Supreme that these are thumbnails)?

Many thanks.

Andrew

Hert

Re: How to create thumbnails for mp4 video?

Post by Hert » 17 Jul 17 9:40

PSU will render the thumbs for MP4 through the OS. If it can't render a thumb then it uses the associated icon. You could try to install an Explorer plug in that renders MP4 and PSU will then likely use that.

Another option;
1. Capture a screenshot of a frame in the video
2. Save it as a JPEG in the same folder where the movie is stored and named identical to the movie file; e.g. MOVIE1234.MP4 will get MOVIE1234.JPG
3. Rename the jpg file to the THM extension: e.g. MOVIE1234.THM
4. Rebuilt the thumb with Crrl Alt T
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

acertain

Re: How to create thumbnails for mp4 video?

Post by acertain » 30 Jul 17 6:55

Thanks. I used ffmpeg to save a JPG for each movie and then renamed it to THM and re-imported. Worked great!

Andrew