Red-Orange Dot???

pinot

Red-Orange Dot???

Post by pinot » 12 Jul 17 18:26

Have imported a couple hundred photos into PS3 and all looks OK except for the red-orange dot on the bottom left hand corner of the thumbnail image on some of the photos. Initially, all the import thumbs had the dot but for the most part, those disappeared after a short while but a handful remain. Can anyone suggest why this is the way it is and what needs to be done to clear the dots?

With thanks to one and all.

...Peter

tstoddard

Re: Red-Orange Dot???

Post by tstoddard » 12 Jul 17 20:04

Peter,

For some time now, at least 6 months, every image I import has the "out of sync" dot on it. I have no idea why and I usually assign labels to all of my images shortly after importing them so the dots go away when the label assignment triggers the metadata to be written to my files. You can trigger that manually by selecting all images and right clicking, then selecting "Save metadata to files" (not sure the exact wording in the context menu).

This is a minor annoyance to me so I haven't bothered to try to figure it out or to report it as a bug. I have my preferences set to automatically save metadata to files and the synchronization process runs upon import so I don't know why all my images are still marked as out of sync when they are first imported. I'd be curious to know if others are seeing this same behavior.
Tom Stoddard

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 12 Jul 17 20:25

Like Tom, I always assign at least one label after import and then manually sync them. I had imagined that my old OS and slower machine resulted in PSu not being able to complete its task, but I believe this still exists even now that I'm using the latest and greatest hard and soft. I'll look out for this though and post here.
Last edited by Stephen on 13 Jul 17 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

pinot

Post by pinot » 13 Jul 17 9:20

Tom, Stephen... many thanks for your replies/advice. Did the manual "save metadata to files" and the "red-orange dot" cleared. Can only speculate that the large number of files that were being imported to a network drive created a "disconnect" that could only be cleared by a manual intervention. Most importantly, it worked so again many thanks for valuable assistance.

...Peter

dickl

Post by dickl » 13 Jul 17 15:08

Interesting. I've noticed the same issue when ingesting images from the SD card.

On my windows version of PSU, when I assign labels and other data to images before importing, all seems to go well, and images are sync'ed to image files. But when I examine images in the folder beyond the first preview page, ie page down, I notice that images not in the first preview page are not being sync'ed, and I have to bulk select them and "Save metadata to files".

Will have to check to see if this issue also applied to my Mac version of PSU...

Edit: Yes the same behaviour exists for the Mac version. Only the images in the first page displayed on the preview screen on import appear to be sync'ed with the image files.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 14 Jul 17 15:03

This might be a false positive error. I just imported 27 images and only 6 or 7 were synced. I then tried to filter the unsynced images to get an exact count and none were shown. I removed the filter and suddenly all showed as being in sync. :-)
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 23 Jul 17 2:14

I've found two types of situations. One is when I import and PSu locks up or even when it completes the import the dot is visible. If I exit PSu and then go back in the dot is gone (or most are gone). This may be a refresh issue after the import.

Other times the dot remains and like others I ignore and assign labels, headline, etc and then it disappears.

I tend to think it's a bug that thankfully is more of an annoyance that a real problem.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 23 Jul 17 16:52

Larry, I have found those situations too and concur that although not perfect, it's still acceptable, especially if one is aware of it.