Bad Image Quality

Miroku525

Bad Image Quality

Post by Miroku525 » 07 Jun 17 10:16

Hi,

After having some problems with keywords dissapering etc. I got another problem with Photo Supreme Image quality.

I had a few images in a folder which I used to test photo supreme. When opening the images in photo supreme some looked ok and some looked very over sharpened, they looked terrible. If I turned the view to full size it was all fine again. After a lot of testing I finally figured out what was causing it.

I use Affinity Photo as my main editor and the problem arise when you have cropped an image a little bit. Then the rendering in Photo Supreme do not work as it should and the images looks like they have a lot of noise in them even if they don't have it. If you open a thumbnail so you get around 23 % view and then click the Info button a few times so the image scales up and down you will see that the image do not update as it should and the image looks full of noise.

Just to be sure I over denoised an image so the image looked soft and then imported it again into photo supreme. The same happens if the image is cropped before it enters photo supreme with noise or not, photo supreme will not show you the image correct.

So if you want to see what happen, open a raw file in Affinity Photo (or other) and edit the image. Then crop it and open it in photo supreme and you will see that the file isn't shown correctly. Also add some sharpening etc. to build up a little noise in the image then you will see it very clear. Then do not crop it and look at the difference.

Miroku

Mke

Re: Bad Image Quality

Post by Mke » 07 Jun 17 21:57

Hi Miroku

For RAW files I can think of a couple of possible reasons. One is that you may need to refresh the images in Photo Supreme after you're cropped them (CTRL+ALT+T). The other is that while Photo Supreme has the facility to view and manage RAW files, it doesn't necessarily display them the same way that they look in your photo editing program (it can't - such programs use proprietary technology).

You do, however have the ability to select how PSU displays RAW files, with "none, "elementary" or "approximate" visual adjustments. The first is self-explanatory; as for the other modes:
  • Elementary - PSU only processes settings that are verified as being 100% reproducible in PSU (which normally includes cropping, but maybe there are problems in reading Affinity Photo data)
  • Approximation: In addition to the elementary processing, where the impact of other settings can be estimated, PSU provides an approximation of them too.
Note that the purpose of incorporating these features was as an aid to managing the files using PSU, not for display/print purposes.

If this doesn't help, if you upload a sample file I'm sure someone will be along who can help further.

Miroku525

Post by Miroku525 » 07 Jun 17 22:13

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, my mistake not to mention that the files is jpeg files exported from Affinity Photo. They are also cropped in Affinity Photo not Photo Supreme. The colorspace is srgb. So I am not sure why this happen but It does when the files is cropped a little.

Miroku

SherwoodG

Post by SherwoodG » 03 Aug 17 9:51

Miroku525 wrote:
07 Jun 17 22:13
Hi,

Thanks for your answer, my mistake not to mention that the files is jpeg files exported from Affinity Photo. They are also cropped in Affinity Photo not Photo Supreme. The colorspace is srgb. So I am not sure why this happen but It does when the files is cropped a little.

Miroku
Hi Miroku, what is the best file extension? .PNG?

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 03 Aug 17 18:37

Although it's hard to tell from the description I'd suggest the original problem is due to PSU being set to not use the full size image (*) and probably in conjunction with a small thumbnail size(**)

Sherwood, JPG is lossy - the amount can be varied - PNG is not lossy but takes more space, RAW is not lossy and is often preferred by experts because they can apply their own adjustments rather than relying on how the camera baked it. However RAW formats are proprietary to the camera maker and software to handle them varies a lot in quality, cost, and compatibility. To make an educated decision about which to use I'd advise that you research enough to understand the implications of each, try them out yourself, and select the one that best suits you taking into account the intended usage of your pictures, how much space you want to make available to them, whether you wish to email them or use them on web pages, whether embedded metadata is important or not (not all formats support metadata in which case "sidecar" files must be used for this) etc etc.

* This is controlled by the options available in both the preview and full screen views. You will see this at the bottom right of the screen. If it does not appear, press the up-arrow on your keyboard (in Windows, I don't know about Mac).
** This is controlled in the preferences dialog, click on preferences (the cogwheel) and click on catalog settings.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------