possible to add basket to dynamic search?

fbungarz

possible to add basket to dynamic search?

Post by fbungarz » 12 Dec 16 9:16

Is it possible to add the image Basket to a dynamic search? If so, how?
Thanks,
Frank

tstoddard

Re: possible to add basket to dynamic search?

Post by tstoddard » 13 Dec 16 13:01

Frank,

It is possible. There may better ways to accomplish this but what I did was to type "basket" into the search field and in the list that appeared under the search field a collection named basket came up. I selected that from the list and this filter was created: "text("Basket"@COLL)". Then I added that filter to Favorites. Then I was able to drag that favorite into the Dynamic Search panel. I tried combining it with a label from the catalog tree in Dynamic Search and it worked as expected.
Tom Stoddard

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 13 Dec 16 18:26

Perfect. Thanks! I think I'll keep that filter in "favorites" :mrgreen:

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 13 Dec 16 18:32

I might have to reverse that statement. I thought creating a dynamic search with "image basket" and "print version" would return just that: the print versions from the basket, but NO - the MAIN version is returned instead :evil: :evil: :evil:
I thought I had finally figured out a quick way to add the print version to a portfolio, but no. Useless :cry: :x
Why is this sooo difficult. All I want is simply quickly create portfolios that contain a specific version!

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 13 Dec 16 21:35

Frank - You gotta file a FR :) I'd like that feature too...
You have propably done that ;)

Cheers,
Michael
PSUServer 5.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 14 Dec 16 10:24

Hi Michael,
you are right. I should stop complaining and be constructive, right? :mrgreen:
The problem: there are a couple of feature requests how to improve portfolios, some rather complex and perhaps therefore unlikely to get implemented.

However, the main issues are actually surprisingly simple: make versions and portfolios work hand in hand...
A suggestion how this could be implemented has been added to Mantis now:
http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=3145

I hope PSu aficionados will vote for it.

Cheers,
Frank

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 14 Dec 16 13:02

Frank,

I agree with your assertion that portfolio collections and versions don't play well together and I have no objection to the implementation of your feature request but it wouldn't do anything to help my complaint in regard to version sets and collections.

Your assumption is that everyone uses version sets for the same purpose you use them. I do not. I rarely produce versions for specific purposes. Instead, I produce different versions of images for aesthetic purposes. For example, I might have multiple versions cropped to different aspect ratios and I might want to print 2 or more of them to fit into different size mats or frames. I might produce a black and white version to contrast with a color version. I might process one image in Photoshop and another in Photo Ninja for comparison purposes. For a variety of reasons, I might produce multiple copies of the same image and want to view them side by side in a collection or even upload them for sharing. Version sets and the way they are handled in portfolio collections prevent me from doing that.

Essentially, I would like to be able to add more than one file from the same version set to the same portfolio collection. I haven't created a feature request for this functionality because I realize the it would require a major shift in the way PSU handles version sets and there are too many conflicting interests among PSU users when it comes to how version sets should work. Even if Hert was willing to make such changes, it would be difficult for us all to agree on what changes should be made.

The feature request you have created would be helpful for you and probably many others and it wouldn't make any difference to me so I see no problem with it. I hope, for your sake, that Hert does see fit to implement it. I've added these comments here because I thought it might be helpful for me to point out that not everyone uses version sets the same way. Who knows, maybe Hert is reading this as he is considering future versions of PSU and he will be influenced in how he implements version sets in those future versions. :wink:
Tom Stoddard

Mke

Post by Mke » 14 Dec 16 14:28

This (rather long) Mantis ticket also seems relevant to this: http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2525

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 14 Dec 16 14:38

Hi Tom,
the scenario you describe is not quite that different, actually. I too have Black & White versions, different crops, etc.
And I agree: it would be very useful to have the option to actually create collections that include different versions side by side. I could use that additional functionality as well. But as you point out it would be an additional, new feature that to some extent even deviates from the way portfolio collections work right now. It also likely would require quite a bit of additional programming.

As I mentioned responding to Michael's post: there are many similar feature requests and bug reports how to improve/enhance portfolios.

My request is to at least remove the current restrictions regarding portfolios (including the basket) that are apparently hard-coded into the program. In my opinion they not only are completely unnecessary, they are counterproductive. I have mentioned elsewhere, that I am considering abandoning portfolios altogether and simply create a new category of labels that I would call "portfolios"...
But this would not be ideal either: Labels per default always display the main version, but at least they can be filtered reasonably quickly.

To me the current way how portfolio collections work simply doesn't make much sense - unless you don't use versions at all. If you keep only a single version for each of your images, the way portfolios now work is just fine. But then: in that case you could use just as well have some labels that serve the same purpose. So, my feature request could also be put this way: Why does anyone need portfolios? What purpose do they serve?

My response would be: the should provide me with an efficient way to quickly collect the versions of an images that I need for a particular purpose. It would be great and not contrary to my request, if you could even collect several different versions from one version set and a few, but not all from another one. That would be the ultimate flexibility, I agree. But for now, lifting the current restrictions already would be a significant step forward.
Hert is reading this as he is considering future versions of PSU and he will be influenced in how he implements version sets in those future versions.
Sure, that is what I hope as well. Don't we all :wink:

Cheers,
Frank

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 14 Dec 16 17:27

fbungarz wrote:If you keep only a single version for each of your images, the way portfolios now work is just fine. But then: in that case you could use just as well have some labels that serve the same purpose. So, my feature request could also be put this way: Why does anyone need portfolios? What purpose do they serve?
Portfolio collections differ from collections derived by label assignments in at least 2 important ways.

1. They can be manually sorted
2. The versions that are selected will persist across sessions

Number 2 becomes irrelevant if you were not to use version sets at all, but, in my opinion, number 1 is still a compelling reason to use portfolio collections.
Tom Stoddard

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 14 Dec 16 17:52

I absolutely agree that both are reasons, why portfolios cannot be easily replaced by labels. Yes, though you can manually sort any view, that sort order is of course lost upon restart. And I already said: though you can quickly filter for a specific version using labels, that filter will also not stay active from session to session.
So, the question currently is: what is the stronger argument? How much do I rely on the manual sort order to be persistent. I use that feature occasionally, though not often. The fact that once a specific version has been selected that version is remembered is from my perspective a much stronger argument, but the steps to get there are a real pain and it may simply be a lot faster to just filter for a specific version, and voilá...

For now, I haven't quite decided to abandon portfolios yet. I am still looking for an efficient workaround to quickly add the versions I want. Including the "Image Basket" as part of a dynamic search unfortunately does not work either...