Import Lightroom CC

MikeNaylor

Re: Import Lightroom CC

Post by MikeNaylor » 16 Nov 16 9:12

Thought I'd try Verify Folder again, but this method causes spinning balls and looses the keywords on most images.
Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Mojave, Photo Supreme 4, Lightroom CC Classic.

vlad

Post by vlad » 16 Nov 16 11:43

Hi Mike,
MikeNaylor wrote:With so many problems importing batches of folders with subfolders causing files to end up in the wrong folders
It's not clear to me how this could happen. Did you enable "Copy images to new location" in the import wizard? Did you employ file renaming?
I've had to changed to using the full import dialogue and selecting to ignore duplicates.
Are you talking about the duplicate handling setting in the import wizard? How do you end up with duplicates and why is it ok to ignore them?

Regarding keyword loosing and freezes: for now, I would advise you to turn off auto-syncing ("Automatically write out Changes to the image file"). Later on, you could enable auto-syncing, but the first step is to get a better handle on the import process.

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 16 Nov 16 19:51

Hi viad,

I've tried so many combinations of importing, I can't remember what I was doing back then. Since then, I'm now making progress with almost 18,000 successfully imported. To make this work for me, I move source folder 2005 to the PSu Image folder. 2005 will contain many sub and sub/sub folders. If 2005 contains more than roughly 1,200 images, I hold back on some of the sub folders for later. I then launch PSu and click the main Import button, direct the source to 2005 and go. When complete, I Quit Psu, relaunch, compact and backup and Quit again. For the 2nd batch, I move the remaining sub folders into 2005 using the Finder. Relaunch PSu, click Import and then click More, so I can filter for those not in the catalog.

As an added precaution, so PSu doesn't have too much to think about, as soon as the Building Thumbnails activity shows, I cancel it. The theory being that Auto Sync has enough to do. I don't know if this helps, because it builds the thumbnails regardless. After Auto Sync finishes, I build the missing thumbnails and previews from the Tools menu.

It's long winded, but no spinning balls, its not hanging, crashing or messing up anymore, so I'm happy.
Last edited by MikeNaylor on 16 Nov 16 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Mojave, Photo Supreme 4, Lightroom CC Classic.

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 16 Nov 16 20:27

sanphotgn wrote:If you are using Windows, a 32-bit and 64-bit are available.
I'm not using Windows and am a little upset that the Mac version is only 32bit and still using the Carbon framework.
fbungarz wrote:PSu is not designed to be a file manager… They already should have been placed automatically exactly "where you need them"...
There's never a good time to change, but here I am, having scanned thousands of analogue images and trying to figure where and when they were taken. I've become obsessive with getting them organised. For those I'm still thinking about, they're placed in hundreds of temporary holding folders which I intend to move around later. Most have hierarchical keywords (of a sort) which will also need to be reorganised. For e.g. I'll move my location keywords into the Place Category and GEO tag them, etc.

This will indeed cause a lot of database activity, but that's what computers are for. Coming from Lightroom, I assumed I'd be able to move folders, files, and keywords around with ease. I know it sounds like I'm moaning, but I do believe PSu will suit me far better than LR in the longer term.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 16 Nov 16 21:10

Hi Mike,
sorry that I assumed you were trying to do this in Windows, but most of the comments should equally apply to the Mac, though I can certainly not comment on 32bit vs 64bit performance there.
... and am a little upset that the Mac version is only 32bit and still using the Carbon framework
Actually: count yourself lucky, the predecessor of PSu was 32bit and Windows only :wink:

Now, reading your response to Vlad, I do think you should really try a different approach!
Yes, for now, what you are doing works, but you are wasting an enormous potential having PSu do the work for you and work more smoothly with less risks of crashes!

Again: the importer is NOT designed to import files that are already in their final destination. It is instead an extremely efficient tool to help you organize your photos as part of the import process! Especially if you have thousands of files, you can use PSu's import wizard to exactly sort the files into the folders, where you want them. Perhaps a screenshot will help to illustrate this:
PSu_Import_to_Folders.jpg
PSu_Import_to_Folders.jpg (197.18 KiB) Viewed 7228 times
The custom subfolder rule I am using for example is this one:

Code: Select all

%yyyy\%yyyy_%mm_%dd\
This first creates a subfolder of the year when the image was taken (for example 2005) and then below that folders of the dates, when the images were taken (for example 2005_01_03).
The files are then copied from their original location (e.g., a camera card) into that new folder structure and thus automatically sorted. Once I am sure the import was successful, I archive the original folder (copy the files from the memory card to an archival folder on a separate hard-disk as a backup, with "apply mirroring" you could even do that automatically, but I prefer to still do it manually after having checked that the import actually worked as desired...).

This is actually a very efficient way of re-organizing files. Clearly, the bigger your import folder is, the longer the import will take and with a lot of files you may think PSu has stalled, whereas it actually is still working. So, yes, it is not a bad idea "chopping" your source folder into reasonably sized batches, but I don't think you are doing yourself a favor doing all the sorting and organizing outside PSu. When I advised against using PSu as a file manager, I was talking about memory intensive copy/cut/move operations inside PSU. But using PSu's import wizard to sort the files for you is exactly what that wizard was designed for.

BTW - syncing has nothing to do with building the thumbnails. It refers to PSu reading or writing metadata. During import you typically want it to read the data and add that information to its database. As far as I know you cannot completely disable that unless you choose not to actually import the files into the catalog (and use PSu's importer only to automatically re-organize them).
I believe Vlad was suggesting to turn off auto-sync, because it is background process that can lock up some memory and after import runs parallel with building the thumbnails (which I don't think you can turn off entirely). If you turn off auto-sync the files will after import be out-of-sync and you will need to remember that you have to read the metadata from the files to your catalog manually.

All these processes - creating the folders, copying the files, renaming them, reading metadata and building thumbnails and previews during import - makes the import process appear to be slow (and for a huge amounts of files it sometimes may even appear to be stalling). You are also talking about scanned files, perhaps 32bit TIFFs? In my experience creating thumbs and previews for these files can be excruciatingly slow...

Well, I do hope you'll work it out...

All the best,
Frank

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 17 Nov 16 12:24

fbungarz wrote:Now, reading your response to Vlad, I do think you should really try a different approach!
Thank you Frank (and others) for your input, but let me explain where I am. I had 3 packing cases full of old prints, negatives and slides dating back to appoximately 1904. Approximately is the key word here, because they were all mixed up and undated. They were imported into LR so I could begin segregating them into some kind of order and keyword if I recognised anything significant. I started by creating a few main folders, one for the date span of where I was living at the time. A few can be dated, such as a street party celebrating the Queen's coronation. Some from a race track where I sent a few to to a racing newspaper and asked them if they could help. It's forensic research and will take a very long time.

For rolls of negs yet to identify, they're in folders named N01 to N78 with no date or place data. Some may have sub-folders when they can be loosely grouped into some unspecified location. I need to keep them this way, because when one can be dated or placed, they become a clue for which others might be identified. As I progress I rename folders and files into a better order.

I do understand the power of using a DAM such as PSu, but I also wish to end up with a properly structured folder system, like the one you describe based on "YYYY-MM-DD Event Name", etc. It's not practical to do this work BEFORE importing or DURING the import process. In my mind, a Digital Asset Management system should allow me to manage. Having an organised file structure will be useful if I'm ever forced to migrate to another DAM in the future.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 17 Nov 16 13:31

It's not practical to do this work BEFORE importing or DURING the import process.
Dear Mike,
you certainly must know bets what you are doing, but I certainly do not understand why you can not use the Importer to help you better organize your files. No worries, I#ll shut up about it now :mrgreen:
Anyway - I am sure you'll sort it out one way of another :wink:
All the best,
Frank

vlad

Post by vlad » 17 Nov 16 14:11

For the record, I'm with Frank: I don't quite understand why the importer couldn't also be used to create the desired folder structure. Perhaps Mike aims to first set up a proper folder structure for his entire image collection, while importing and cataloging only incrementally (in batches).

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 17 Nov 16 14:21

fbungarz wrote:...but I certainly do not understand why you can not use the Importer to help you better organize your files.
viad wrote:I don't quite understand why the importer couldn't also be used to create the desired folder structure.
Because the files have very little useful info to use sensibly. The temporary structure and keywords I created in LR is the best I have for the moment.

A more worrying issue for me is the fact that PSu for Mac is not as well implemented as the Windows version. I.E. only 32bit and using an outdated Carbon framework. That is almost certainly why I get so many Access Violations, spinning balls, hangs and miss behaviour. It's probably using downgraded OS calls. I'm gambling Hert will do something about this in the near future. I have the latest Apple hardware and shouldn't have to feel like a second class citizen.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 17 Nov 16 22:35

A more worrying issue for me is the fact that PSu for Mac is not as well implemented as the Windows version.
I have the latest Apple hardware and shouldn't have to feel like a second class citizen.
I cannot judge whether the Windows version is better because I only use Mac. For me, PSu is working quite well under El Capitan OS 10.11.6 single user version.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.