Import Lightroom CC

MikeNaylor

Import Lightroom CC

Post by MikeNaylor » 13 Nov 16 17:04

After several attempts to import smaller chunks of images and getting odd keyword behavior, I gave in and imported the whole LR catalog in one go. This has produced a similar outcome. The screen grab show the problem with multiple categories, but all images also have 2 entries for each keyword. My question is: is this "normal" and if so, how do I repair this mess?
Attachments
ScreenGrab.jpeg
ScreenGrab.jpeg (140.05 KiB) Viewed 6154 times
Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Mojave, Photo Supreme 4, Lightroom CC Classic.

vlad

Re: Import Lightroom CC

Post by vlad » 14 Nov 16 0:19

Welcome to the forum.

How did you import the LR catalog and what are your Read settings under Tools -> Preferences -> Synchronize settings? If you select and delete those duplicate categories with 0 images, what are the remaining issues (if any)?

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 14 Nov 16 0:34

Hi via. I imported direct from the LR catalog database file. Read Settings checked were Auto write changes and Read hierarchical. Deleting the zero count categories appeared to do no harm. I then noticed there were other issues; thousands of unsynced files, double and triple keywords on most images, total number of image count greater than the number from LR. I then verified the route folder and got exposed thousands of missing files. A few other things that I can't remember now, so I lost patience and deleted everything so I can start over tomorrow with fresh source images. I think I'l just import the folder structure instead of the LD database. I only have 2 days left on this trial. If you can offer a better way I'll try that. Thanks.
Apple iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Mojave, Photo Supreme 4, Lightroom CC Classic.

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Nov 16 7:00

The LR import doesn't check the sync settings, it imports whatever is in the LR database.

If you use Lightroom to store metadata to the files then just import the files and forget about the LR database import.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 14 Nov 16 9:47

OK, thanks. As soon as the fresh untouched files finish copying from my backup, I'll import the 25,000 all at once from the folder root. It'll take many hours, but I will report back on how it went.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 14 Nov 16 11:51

I'll import the 25,000 all at once from the folder root. It'll take many hours, but I will report back on how it went.
Better try importing a smaller batch, to see if that works now...

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 14 Nov 16 12:56

Ok had previously tried that but had similar results. The first batch was perfect but the second lost all keywords in the assign panel to be lost.

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 14 Nov 16 14:00

One question before I begin again. Which options should I apply for importing a folder structure of images with Hierarchical keywords?
Attachments
SCreenGrap.jpeg
SCreenGrap.jpeg (211.13 KiB) Viewed 6064 times

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 14 Nov 16 19:52

I said I would report back on my progress. With a fresh install and default settings, I created a new database in a location of my choosing.

I devised an import strategy that appears to be working: on the HD I have 3 folders 1) TODO for uncatalogued images, 2) WORKING for the current imports, and 3) PSU IMAGES where everything will end up. I move a few folders from TODO to WORKING and then import using the wizard. Then, with PS, move these to PS IMAGES. The keywords are not duplicating, so all seems well.

BUT, on the 3rd import session, with 2500 images, PS threw an Access Violation (0) and on clicking OK, it Quit - but not completely. I waited a few minutes and the did a Force Quit. On relaunch the Sync & Preview Activities did not resume, so I selected Save Metadata from the Tools menu and then Compacted both. This completed successfully, so I selected Build missing previews from the Tools menu.

So far so good, but this will take some time.

PS I bought Media Pro SE last week, having failed with PS previously. MP has not impressed me on little bit, so I returned to my almost expired PS a couple of days ago. PS is far more advanced and has revealed many errors which had accumulated during several year of Lightroom. Today I splashed out more money and bought PS with the hope PhaseOne give me a refund. Fat chance of that!

Sorry for the long report, but more to come as I progress.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 14 Nov 16 21:10

I very occasionally have experienced "Access Violation" errors in PSu myself. I cannot be certain, but I do think it happens, when PSu tries to write data to a file and at the same time I try to add a label, add metadata or do something else to that same file. It may have to do with some conflict between background and foreground tasks interfering with one another. Just a hunch...
In your case I would not be too worried. It seems normal that the sync queue did not resume upon restart. You can also cancel it manually and decide to sync images later (which you did). I would just check a few images to see if the data is there.
Generally I usually prefer to import in smaller batches, 2,500 images in one go are a lot. But of course, depending on how many images you have doing it in even smaller batches takes even more time...

On a side note:
Long before Phase One actually bought iView MediaPro, I gave it a try (eight years ago?). I thought the program was trash back then and accordingly threw it in the bin...
Be warned though: there are a few reports here on the forum that CaptureOne from PhaseOne destroys lens metadata, perhaps it does not completely delete it, but several PSu users have complained that the data appear to be deleted after editing in Capture One. So, the combo PSu and Capture One does not necessarily play along well all the time.

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 14 Nov 16 21:41

fbungarz wrote:Long before Phase One actually bought iView MediaPro, I gave it a try (eight years ago?). I thought the program was trash back then and accordingly threw it in the bin...
Be warned though: there are a few reports here on the forum that CaptureOne from PhaseOne destroys lens metadata, perhaps it does not completely delete it, but several PSu users have complained that the data appear to be deleted after editing in Capture One. So, the combo PSu and Capture One does not necessarily play along well all the time.
Yes, I've been wondering how various editors might corrupt metadata. I'm considering Affinity Photo, so I guess some serious testing will be required. Meanwhile, I'm 27% into building previews on the current import.

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 15 Nov 16 17:19

The good news is PhaseOne have agreed to revoke my licence for Media Pro SE and refund the money.

The bad news is PSu is driving me nuts. Importing from folders (as outlined above) was going well for awhile. On moving the imports to where I need them has caused more problems than I can document. Including several spinning balls, forcing me to Force Quit. After 3 solid days, it looks as though I'm going to have to start all over again. Perhaps if import one image at a time that might work, but I have almost 25,000 waiting.

I really want (need) to get PS up and running a.s.a.p. I'm convinced it can be the best DAM out there - once I get the images in there.

Things I suspect: its not a 64 bit app (but most DAMs aren't either) and faulty thread management.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 15 Nov 16 19:18

MikeNaylor wrote:Importing from folders (as outlined above) was going well for awhile. On moving the imports to where I need them has caused more problems than I can document.
Why not import directly into their final destination? Are you moving them outside of PS?
MikeNaylor wrote:Things I suspect: its not a 64 bit app (but most DAMs aren't either) and faulty thread management.
If you are using Windows, a 32-bit and 64-bit are available.
Photo Supreme 4.3.4.2141 (64 bits) (Windows)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 15 Nov 16 21:38

... moving the imports to where I need them has caused more problems than I can document.
Actually, I am not surprised you run into trouble. PSu is not designed to be a file manager. Yes, you can move, copy, paste a file if necessary, but this does not work very well - and it is easily explained why: Unlike Windows file explorer PSu is a database maintaining a lot of information references about your image files (labels, ratings, metadata, thumbnails, previews, etc.). If you regularly move files around you are asking for trouble: the database integrity needs to constantly be updates, a gigantic job - even for a 64 bit application.

The good news: there is really no need at all to do what you are doing!
First: the big advantage of a database about your image files is that the physical structure how you store your image files is almost completely irrelevant and largely only a matter of convenience. Once you have decided on and adopted a certain logical way how to store your files and a unique naming convention to identify your files, it won't ever be necessary to move them again. Most people these days simply store images in folders sorted and named by date and for file naming they typically use naming conventions that use a combination of unique identifiers like prefixes, sequence numbers andor dates/capture times.

Once you have imported (and if necessary renamed) your files, you will use the hierarchical catalog labels to organize them. These labels are like virtual folders, by labeling images you essentially place one image into many different virtual folders without ever physically moving them around.

Now, the good thing: you should not be placing the files into the desired folder structures nor should you not need to manually rename them at all. The import has be designed to do that for you...
So - are you sure you are actually even using the importer the way it was designed? Don't just use the default but use "more settings..." to create your custom profile that does (almost) everything for you.
You can configure the importer to move the files exactly where you want them, even create new folders according to your specifications, if necessary rename the files and even create an archive of mirrored files as a backup.
Then, as soon as your files are inside PSu it is not necessary, even counter-productive to subsequently "moving these imports to where you need them". They already should have been placed automatically exactly "where you need them"...

MikeNaylor

Post by MikeNaylor » 16 Nov 16 8:50

With so many problems importing batches of folders with subfolders causing files to end up in the wrong folders, I've had to changed to using the full import dialogue and selecting to ignore duplicates. This apparently works better than any of the other methods, but it does take longer to sort itself out. I continue to get spinning balls and hangs and having to Force Quit, re-boot and start over. However, I now have 5,619 of 22,510 imported after only 4 very long days.

Another worry is what I assume are memory leaks or poor memory management. Activity Monitor indicates unreleased memory cached and swapped out. Its also clear that this Mac version is only 32bit and still using the obsolete Carbon frameworks. Didn't Mac go 64bit long before Windows? Never the less, I remain determined to persevere.