Growing collection of unsynced images

Stephen

Growing collection of unsynced images

Post by Stephen » 13 Sep 16 20:07

I have a growing collection of unsynced images which cannot be synced.

Sofar there were only about 30-40, so I have put this task off until a rainy day. Now I see 180! The new ones are all or mostly RWL (Leica format) RAW files. Has anybody noticed this under the latest release?

P.S. I am also noticing groups of images suddenly requiring synchronization with no obvious reason, i.e. I have not touched them.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

weidmic

Re: Growing collection of unsynced images

Post by weidmic » 13 Sep 16 20:52

Stephen,
those images that can't be synched, what do they have in common?
Maybe a label with some image details? There are some issues with "old" image details...
Or maybe they are all in a folder that is write protected...

Michael

P.S. I am also noticing groups of images suddenly requiring synchronization with no obvious reason, i.e. I have not touched them.
E.G.: If you make a change in the label properties, this would throw the image out of sync, even if you not touched the image...
PSUServer 5.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 13 Sep 16 21:59

"Commonality?"
The only factor with the latest ones is the extension, i.e. RWL.

"Maybe a label with some image details? There are some issues with "old" image details..."
I don't understand, could you please explain.

When I said that I have not touched them, that also includes no changes to the labels. That was a problem in the past in that changed labels did not flag the images concerned.

Could this be a sync issue? The recent additions to the 'unsynced collection" were since updating to 3.2.0.2075 (a few weeks ago) and it has grown in the last few days. Yes, some of the labels could have been changed previous to the upgrade, but not since. Perhaps this has something to do with the latest changes regarding more consistent flagging of images which appear to be synchronized, although they were really not. IF that is so and IF 3.2.0.2075 is (for what even reason) working through those images, then I am pleased. If not, then it might be a bug.

Thanks for underlining those points.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 14 Sep 16 15:17

Maybe a label with some image details? There are some issues with "old" image details..."
I don't understand, could you please explain.
If you have added image details by using an old image details profile that can give you some headache :)
This is also true if a profile is used during import...

Cheers,
Michael

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 14 Sep 16 15:58

No, I have not seen or touched the images or associated labels for months, as far as I recall. If I had, then in these cases there would be many more unsynced images, as the subject matter and locations frequency occur.

I will remain aware of all those points, thanks.

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 14 Sep 16 17:55

Can you email or dropBox me one of those images with the associated xmp file?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 15 Sep 16 12:13

Thanks for that offer. I will get back to you when a few other tasks are solved.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 17 Sep 16 14:49

I have looked at a series of 150 images shot on the same day. They are all RWL format (a RAW variety) and will not synchronize. They will also not save if I try to change data via the Info or Details panel. The latter is used most.

So I re-imported them from the vault, which is where I keep clones of all images made directly from the memory cards before renumbering. I also imported the JPG equivalents (everything was shot RWL + JPG), renumbering them in the process with a Details Profile and put them on a different drive.

My standard profile, which I rebuilt since version 3.3., renumbers by putting the new file name in the Headline and Document Title and also adds copyright status, copyright notice and usage terms. The result was rather haywire. Almost no data was added to the RWLs and only partially in the JPGs. I have been able to correct the JPGs, but the RWLs will still not save.

Only the Document Title was changed in the RWL files, in each case the number 8 appears. As mentioned, it cannot be changed or deleted. There are more RWL files, also with no. 8 as the Document Title, but not marked as out of sync. Some of those have labels which can be changed and then shows as being out-of-sync, but cannot be manually synced.

This is not a priority and they are old files, but I would like to solve it. Does PSu possibly have a problem with RWL files?

Edit: PSu appears to have not created an xmp for each un-synced file. If I attempt to convert the metadata to xmp, I get 2 windows, first "Illegal Character" and then "Access Violation". When examining a file with exiftool I cannot see any 'illegal' characters.

Mke

Post by Mke » 20 Sep 16 1:24

Stephen wrote:When examining a file with exiftool I cannot see any 'illegal' characters.
I've come across illegal characters in files sent to me a few times, and the problem has always been in the XMP "User Comments" field. I've resolved this by writing the number "1" into the field using ExifToolGUI with the command -Exif:UserComment=1
May or may not not help in your case...

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 21 Sep 16 14:57

Mke wrote:
Stephen wrote:When examining a file with exiftool I cannot see any 'illegal' characters.
I've come across illegal characters in files sent to me a few times, and the problem has always been in the XMP "User Comments" field. I've resolved this by writing the number "1" into the field using ExifToolGUI with the command -Exif:UserComment=1
May or may not not help in your case...
Thanks, but currently there is no xmp file and PSu will not allow me to create one either

Mke

Post by Mke » 22 Sep 16 1:16

Stephen wrote:Thanks, but currently there is no xmp file and PSu will not allow me to create one either
Sorry, I should have been clearer - when I've had similar problems it's been in the "User Comments" field in the metadata embeded in the images (not the optional PSU XMP sidecar file); until I cleared the invalid data the files wouldn't sync. Whether or not it's that field involved in your case, I would imagine that it is invalid metadata in your files that's preventing your sidecar files from being written.

LifeIsLong

Post by LifeIsLong » 01 Oct 16 11:54

Don't know if its related, but I've noticed that "synch all unsynched images" menu item appears to not find any unsynched images. If I go to the catalog state, select all, and then right-click to synch, PS synchs most of them (haven't tested enough). I'm using 2076, could this be part of the reason why the number of unsynched images grows? You tell PS to synch all and nothing is synched?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 01 Oct 16 21:40

LifeIsLong wrote:I've noticed that "synch all unsynched images" menu item appears to not find any unsynched images. If I go to the catalog state, select all, and then right-click to synch, PS synchs most of them (haven't tested enough). I'm using 2076, could this be part of the reason why the number of unsynched images grows? You tell PS to synch all and nothing is synched?
I don't think so, however you are right in saying that the menu bar command to sync is currently not working correctly (at least under Mac) and there is a Mantis report here:
http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=3088

This is a different issue, AFAIK.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 20 Oct 16 11:11

The problem with syncing RWL (Leica format) RAW files appears to have been resolved. Thanks development.