Lightroom Workflow

PhilBurton

Re: Lightroom Workflow

Post by PhilBurton » 05 Sep 16 21:19

Stephen wrote:PhilBurton said:
"(By the way, apparently by design, PSu does not treat a RAW and JPG as one image, which is a beef I have with PSu.)"

I am pleased that it doesn't!
I would have preferred an option to treat a RAW and JPG as one image if the EXIF metadata is the same. That way, we can both be happy.

This issue got hashed out very thoroughly in thread http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24163 , with 110 replies. No need to repeat any arguments here.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 05 Sep 16 21:47

PhilBurton wrote:
tstoddard wrote:
Since I tend to take lots of pictures and only share a handful, much of my time spent using PSU is spent reviewing full size jpegs, comparing them, and then sharing them. If I'm going to process my raw files in Lightroom and not create jpegs, then I am forced to use Lightroom to do my previewing, comparing, and sharing.
Actually IF you shoot RAW, which is highly recommended, then you really don't need to shoot RAW+JPG, although LR is fully capable of recognizing an image that is both RAW and JPG. (By the way, apparently by design, PSu does not treat a RAW and JPG as one image, which is a beef I have with PSu.)
Phil,

I do shoot to raw only but I use a raw processor to process my photos and then I output the processed photos to jpeg so that I can import them into PSU and view them. Viewing the raw files in PSU doesn't help much. I want to see them after I've processed them. Also, I sometimes produce more than one version of the original and have to output to jpeg if I want to see all versions in PSU. Up until now, I've used Photo Ninja as my primary raw processor. If I want to share or upload photos that have been processed, I need to convert them to jpegs so I would do that in Photo Ninja and import the jpegs into PSU. With Lightroom, sharing and uploading is pretty easy and seems to work well. There is no need to export jpegs for each version because Lightroom allows me to have virtual copies and will just convert on the fly. But, I still prefer PSU's interface and sharing functionality and would like to continue using it. Hondor was right about not using PSU to try to interpret adjustments made in Lightroom. It's just not the same. Many of my shots are very similar and I like to look closely at them before deciding which ones to upload.

I've read a lot of the pros and cons for converting to dng and, until now, I've leaned toward not using dng's. I think, in the end, I will probably just create jpegs in Lightroom and import them into PSU as I have in the past. I don't see much difference between creating separate jpegs and embedding them into a dng file. There may be some convenience by the way of portability but that's about it. It also doesn't help me when I want to have more than one processed version of my original.
Tom Stoddard

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 05 Sep 16 22:15

This issue got hashed out very thoroughly in thread viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24163 , with 110 replies. No need to repeat any arguments here.
Hi Phil (& Stephen),
this is a bit off-topic, but just to clarify: PSu can optionally treat RAW+JPG pairs in one and the same version set, which in my opinion is pretty much the same as Lightroom does. Only PSu does not do it automatically!
Now, these approaches are not identical, I know, but there is a bit of legacy behind versioning in PSu that I don't think it is a particularly good idea to add an additional option. In my opinion it would be better to improve how versioning is currently working...
Much discussion in the thread you are pointing to is about renaming problems of NEFs and JPGs jointly as pairs during import.
And you might not necessarily be aware of this: there is now a script that you can use to rename your files in pairs, making sure both files receive the same names: http://repository.idimager.com/openreso ... 2408FCE4B0
The problem here is: it is only one script that assigns the same names to the pair of files. So, while it works for me, it might not necessarily work for you.
Still, I thought I'd point it out...
There are also several tickets in Mantis now to significantly improve versioning. I do hope some of these excellent suggestions will eventually be implemented...
[Sorry, if this is a bit a lengthy deviation from the main topic about using the lightroom/PSu combo.]
Cheers,
Frank

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 06 Sep 16 1:39

tstoddard wrote:
PhilBurton wrote:
tstoddard wrote:
Since I tend to take lots of pictures and only share a handful, much of my time spent using PSU is spent reviewing full size jpegs, comparing them, and then sharing them. If I'm going to process my raw files in Lightroom and not create jpegs, then I am forced to use Lightroom to do my previewing, comparing, and sharing.
Actually IF you shoot RAW, which is highly recommended, then you really don't need to shoot RAW+JPG, although LR is fully capable of recognizing an image that is both RAW and JPG. (By the way, apparently by design, PSu does not treat a RAW and JPG as one image, which is a beef I have with PSu.)
Phil,

I do shoot to raw only but I use a raw processor to process my photos and then I output the processed photos to jpeg so that I can import them into PSU and view them. Viewing the raw files in PSU doesn't help much. I want to see them after I've processed them. Also, I sometimes produce more than one version of the original and have to output to jpeg if I want to see all versions in PSU. Up until now, I've used Photo Ninja as my primary raw processor. If I want to share or upload photos that have been processed, I need to convert them to jpegs so I would do that in Photo Ninja and import the jpegs into PSU. With Lightroom, sharing and uploading is pretty easy and seems to work well. There is no need to export jpegs for each version because Lightroom allows me to have virtual copies and will just convert on the fly. But, I still prefer PSU's interface and sharing functionality and would like to continue using it. Hondor was right about not using PSU to try to interpret adjustments made in Lightroom. It's just not the same. Many of my shots are very similar and I like to look closely at them before deciding which ones to upload.

I've read a lot of the pros and cons for converting to dng and, until now, I've leaned toward not using dng's. I think, in the end, I will probably just create jpegs in Lightroom and import them into PSU as I have in the past. I don't see much difference between creating separate jpegs and embedding them into a dng file. There may be some convenience by the way of portability but that's about it. It also doesn't help me when I want to have more than one processed version of my original.
Tom,

Combining Photo Supreme and Lightroom into one "grand, unified workflow" is definitely a challenge, and I suspect that there are multiple ways that will all work. It depends on personal preferences. As someone wrote, it also depends on having the same keyword hierarchy across both platforms. For me, it also needs a detailed, carefully defined workflow.

After reading about the pro's and con's of using DNG vs. NEF, I decided to stay with NEF, no disrespect to Adobe. There is a Lightroom plugin that does checksums of all NEF files, which accomplishes the same thing as DNGs.

Again, I wish that PSu could be a Lightroom plug-in. (... in my dreams ...)
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 06 Sep 16 2:11

While I may wish the programs had this or that, I have found they work very well together.
I suspect that there are multiple ways that will all work. It depends on personal preferences.
Absolutely.
As someone wrote, it also depends on having the same keyword hierarchy across both platforms.
True. Regarding personal preferences: if one doesn't care about any of the data Lightroom is writing, then disable all writing to the file in Lightroom. Then there is no need to have the same keyword hierarchy across both platforms. Make adjustments and create .jpgs and whatever else in Lightroom and then use Verify Folder in PSU for the .jpgs that were created in Lightroom.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 06 Sep 16 5:02

sanphotgn wrote:
As someone wrote, it also depends on having the same keyword hierarchy across both platforms.
True. Regarding personal preferences: if one doesn't care about any of the data Lightroom is writing, then disable all writing to the file in Lightroom. Then there is no need to have the same keyword hierarchy across both platforms. Make adjustments and create .jpgs and whatever else in Lightroom and then use Verify Folder in PSU for the .jpgs that were created in Lightroom.
I need the ability to add/delete/modify keywords in either program. The biggest lack in Lightroom is non-support for custom metadata. Otherwise, I would agree with you 100%.

Phil
Photo Supreme user

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 06 Sep 16 13:01

Hi Phil,
The biggest lack in Lightroom is non-support for custom metadata
Couldn't agree more, but how is that related to your need to be able to enter keywords there? Why can you not simply do all your tagging in PSu? I find it a lot easier and faster to do this there.

[FYI - the only great advantage I see in Lightroom is face tagging; I find this quite cumbersome in PSu and I wish the program would recognize faces in an image as intelligently as lightroom]
Cheers,
Frank

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 06 Sep 16 19:07

fbungarz wrote:Hi Phil,
The biggest lack in Lightroom is non-support for custom metadata
Couldn't agree more, but how is that related to your need to be able to enter keywords there? Why can you not simply do all your tagging in PSu? I find it a lot easier and faster to do this there.

[FYI - the only great advantage I see in Lightroom is face tagging; I find this quite cumbersome in PSu and I wish the program would recognize faces in an image as intelligently as lightroom]
Cheers,
Frank
Frank,

Actually, I have this "split" workflow where I do ingest, file renaming and some tagging in Lightroom, but most tagging in PSu. My workflow is still evolving. For face tagging, LR is the winner. If I can get that script that treats a RAW and JPG as a single image for file renaming purposes, then my workflow would start with PSu.

Phil
Photo Supreme user