Do you backup thumbnail database?

Larry56

Do you backup thumbnail database?

Post by Larry56 » 12 Jul 16 16:34

I always backup both catalog and thumbnail databases but I'm wondering if there is any real benefit to backing up the thumbnail database. I realize that restoring would go faster if it included the thumbnails but would that still be true if restoring to a computer with a different monitor? Are thumbnails saved based on the monitor settings for sizing purposes?

Are there any other benefits? I'd be interested to hear from others as to whether they back up the thumbnail database and why.

weidmic

Re: Do you backup thumbnail database?

Post by weidmic » 12 Jul 16 21:50

Well, it can take a while to recreate the thumbnail database from scratch.
I do backup the thumbnail DB only every few month. In case I have to use a backup, it doenst take too long to create the missing thumbnails and previews.
PSUServer 4.x, PostgreSQL 10.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com
PSU Tips and Tricks http://www.michaelweidner.com/WP/psu/

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 12 Jul 16 22:00

Yes. After any import and major metadata updates, I backup the catalog and thumbnail database.
Are thumbnails saved based on the monitor settings for sizing purposes?
They are related to the settings in Preferences. See screen prints below.

Why do I backup the thumbnail database? So, I don't have to start from the beginning if something goes wrong.
PreviewSize.png
PreviewSize.png (30.33 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
PreviewQuality.png
PreviewQuality.png (22.97 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 13 Jul 16 19:38

I backup both databases after working on a large selection of images. I also backup before and after I compact/repair the DB's. I always run a back up before installing a PSu update.
--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 13 Jul 16 20:18

Occasionally. Not too often. If the worst happened it can be recreated. So it's really a matter of convenience whether you wish to have a recent backup to save time/hassle in the event of loss/corruption. I agree with the other posters it does make a great deal of sense to back it up before doing something like an upgrade or other operation that poses risks.

Neither do I write metadata to my images. That may suprise many here and many may disagree with it (which is fine by me!). But the reality is that I have lots of data, all over the place, that I don't want to lose. So I back it up appropriately (here is not the place to go into backup strategies and reasons). My PSU metadata catalog is just one of those. Writing it to the images (a) involves an overhead (b) makes it hard to see if I have changed an image or have duplicates, as it alters the size, hash value, mod date. *Unless* I am distributing the image files to a third party and wish to embed the metadata, there is no point. Obviously if you adopt this strategy you MUST know what the risks are to your catalog data and take measures to mitigate them. But you are doing that anyway aren't you? You don't really want to lose your catalog and import all the data again?
Footnote 1: By writing metadata to images automatically you WILL save an amount of data from loss - specifically all metadata you have entered since the last time you took a catalog backup. Assuming your images are not lost with the catalog of course (on same failed disk, stolen laptop, etc). If your metadata is important and updated often this could be really important for you.
Footnote 2: I am not 100% sure but I think the sharing functions of PSU write at least some of the metadata to files on the fly anyway - so if you are writing metadata to images solely because you are distributing the files and need the data embedded, then distributing via PSU's sharing functionality may take care of that for you.
Footnote 3: If I'm being honest I probably *don't* back up often enough, and if anyone is like me then this alone may turn footnote 1 into a compelling reason to write metadata to images automatically!

I have posted the above in case it may make each person think as to what is the best process for them, as I think a lot of people may be writing to images without considering it too much, and I will be interested to see what thoughts this may provoke! PSU is a great tool and so flexible in its set-up possibilities.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

siehorst

Post by siehorst » 13 Jul 16 23:09

Can there be a wrong question?
Normally I tend to say 'No'. But in this case?
Don't ask if a BackUp is necessary or not. Do it!
BackUp every file that has changed, every day.
This is not related to IDimager or any other type of file.
If you think that takes too long, there are tools you can start and you can leave and if ready your computer shuts down.
horst

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 16 Jul 16 14:42

I cannot think of a good reason NOT to back up everything!
In my case PSu including thumbnails is backup weekly. (Update) NOW daily following a disaster (End of Update)
All 105,000 images are backed up daily. The image backup is then cloned to another drive.
Once set up the procedure is transparent and can be done when working on other things.
Last edited by Stephen on 22 Jul 16 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 17 Jul 16 11:31

I use external software to perform my backups and the time required to back up everything including the thumbnail database is about five minutes. I see no reason why not to back up everything daily.

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 17 Jul 16 17:57

Mike Buckley wrote:I use external software to perform my backups and the time required to back up everything including the thumbnail database is about five minutes. I see no reason why not to back up everything daily.
Same here. My "DATA" partition backups could take more than five minutes, but all my "live data" is in that partition. My backup software allows me to back up "versions" of data files, so I can restore to any date I want, not just the most recent version of all my data. For data that changes daily or several times a week, I do a new backup set every month, and keep those backup sets for six months. Other live data is backed up in a data set that is changed yearly.

I have set up backup scripts, then the process is fully automatic.

Retrospect, if anyone is interested. Has versions for Windows and MacOS.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 18 Jul 16 16:57

Thanks all. I'll keep backup up thumbnail database.

I'd forgot about the thumbnail settings in Preferences. Thanks for the reminder.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 19 Jul 16 8:22

PhilBurton wrote:My backup software allows me to back up "versions" of data files, so I can restore to any date I want, not just the most recent version of all my data.
Retrospect, if anyone is interested. Has versions for Windows and MacOS.Phil
Have you ever testing the restore process? With this type of backup software I wonder how one would work out which backup to restore?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 19 Jul 16 21:05

Stephen wrote:
PhilBurton wrote:My backup software allows me to back up "versions" of data files, so I can restore to any date I want, not just the most recent version of all my data.
Retrospect, if anyone is interested. Has versions for Windows and MacOS.Phil
Have you ever testing the restore process? With this type of backup software I wonder how one would work out which backup to restore?
Yes, I have had to do restores on many occasions. Sometimes it's an individual file or a few files from a few days ago. That is because the current version of the files is corrupted or other ways unusable due to user error, so I have to restore a previous version.

I've also had to restore and entire partition, both non-bootable and bootable. Always worked.

Every time you run a backup, Retrospect takes a snapshot of all the files included in that backup operation. Snapshots are stored by date. To do a restore operation, you first pick the date you need. Retrospect will restore the newest version of the file(s) as of the date you selected.
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

siehorst

Post by siehorst » 22 Jul 16 18:31

http://www.freefilesync.org/
just keep an eye at the installation process. Don't use the 'automatic' way. In earlier times there has been some extra 'software' but could easily selected off.
BackUps are easier if you keep all personal data at an extra partition. In that case you just have to compare yout BackUp partition and your life partition.
Again: don't spend one milisecond in thinking which file to backup. Just all.

horst

rdv4rjm

Post by rdv4rjm » 10 Dec 18 5:55

Phil Burton wrote: I have set up backup scripts, then the process is fully automatic.

Retrospect, if anyone is interested. Has versions for Windows and MacOS.
Phil,
If Script still available, I would highly appreciate using them.
Am new in PSU.
Using OSX.

Tnx!

Username

Post by Username » 10 Dec 18 6:40

Even though I back both photos and DBs to two different locations, anything that makes it simpler is really appreciated.
PSUServer 4 & Postgres 10 on macOS 10.13
- I'm the user