How to import a new set of images to existing catalog?

C-F

How to import a new set of images to existing catalog?

Post by C-F » 03 Jul 16 16:23

Hello,

If you have an existing catalog with no out of sync images - all allocated to their respective labels, what are the exact steps AND preference settings to import a new batch of images unrelated to the existing ones.

My last import of 40 images made a mess of the labels allocation in the database file - it even assigned/changed labels on some of existing images .

Any thoughts/ advise?

Thanks,
Franz
Ps, it is on a macbook pro , El Capitan

Hert

Re: How to import a new set of images to existing catalog?

Post by Hert » 04 Jul 16 7:05

Cataloging and Importing is described in "Help -> Quick Manual - Cataloging"
My last import of 40 images made a mess of the labels allocation in the database file - it even assigned/changed labels on some of existing images .
PSU will not make change on its own. What is in the file that is being imported is what is created in the database.The good part: PSU will make sure that after cleaning up the mess and writing metadata back to the file that it will be clean. If 40 images already gave you a headache then I'm worried what 20000, 50000 or 500000 images will do ;) Those are volumes typically in the archive of other users.

Hope that helps
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

C-F

Post by C-F » 04 Jul 16 13:49

Hert,
PSU will not make change on its own.
If that is true, why do I find 1(one) picture (out of 134 that were in the database) that was taken in St.David with an additional label of Orient Bay (which is a new label of the 40 newly imported images)? This is just one example- there are more including adding geotagging to one other image of the existing that had no geotag (the 40 newly imported images all are geotagged[all the same from one shoot in one location - verified before import] and of the 40 imported images 4 are showing as not having a geotag).????
If 40 images already gave you a headache then I'm worried what 20000, 50000 or 500000 images will do ;)
I totally agree, in my current state I am looking at a 10-15% error rate which with my current volume of about 18k images spread over several external hard drives would be a nightmare.
Hope that helps
Well, not really - are you implying to stay away from your software? :wink: :lol:

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 04 Jul 16 14:29

Before testing / starting a new catalog:

- Set up the Preferences in Photo Supreme.

- It is very important Photo Supreme contains the same parent / top level Categories / Keywords as your previous (or current) application.

If you are coming from one or several applications that touched the metadata in the past, you are probably going to find some metadata in Photo Supreme that doesn't make sense or is missing; and that is because the previous applications did what they did, for a variety of reasons (previous best practice, user settings, doesn't conform to standards, ...).

If you are new to Photo Supreme, I recommend testing on copies of copies. Copy a good representation of your files, but not a lot and place them somewhere else. Use these for practice.

When testing, you may want to un-check Automatically write out Catalog changes.

I don't use the GEO Location feature so I have that set to None.

My Write and Read settings:
PSWrite.png
PSWrite.png (54.29 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
PSRead.png
PSRead.png (47.91 KiB) Viewed 4641 times
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

C-F

Post by C-F » 04 Jul 16 15:32

Hello sanphotgn,

Thank you for your pointers!

My preferences reflect exactly your suggestion, except I have the allow to write to raw files also checked since I do not like xmp sidecar files.
It is very important Photo Supreme contains the same parent / top level Categories / Keywords as your previous (or current) application.
Not sure what you mean by that - I use the default setup of PSu as installed by trial download and added the included in the demo structured key wording file (Rieck's ?). Previous to trying PSu i have not used key wording much - I mainly just rename the file, copyright, my address,backup, - sometimes a headline and/or description, and sometimes a color label and/or star rating - pretty basic stuff really...(- all this I do in Photo Mechanic 5 during ingest).
I would assume/expect that any keywords found by PSu that are not part of the existing labels to be collected in miscellaneous? Is that a wrong assumption?

What do you mean by previous(or current) application?

Thanks!

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 04 Jul 16 21:02

>It is very important Photo Supreme contains the same parent / top level Categories / Keywords as your previous (or current) application.

If you had been using another program to enter keywords, you want the parent / top level Categories / Keywords of that application to also be the parent / top level Categories / Keywords in Photo Supreme.

I use Lightroom. So for example, if my top level Keywords in Lightroom are:

People
Events
Animals
Projects

Before using Photo Supreme, I would add any of the above that aren't included in the default install of Photo Supreme.

>I would assume/expect that any keywords found by PSu that are not part of the existing labels to be collected in miscellaneous?

Correct. I may be mistaken but there may have been instances where they were placed under another label.

>What do you mean by previous(or current) application?

Examples include other digital asset management programs, RAW editors, programs that touch the metadata before it is imported into Photo Supreme.

>write to raw files

Do you have copies of your RAW files that have never had their metadata touched? It would be interesting to compare the ExifTool results of an original file and metadata-touched file before they are imported in Photo Supreme (of course do this on copies of copies). Have Photo Supreme import both, write the data back to the file (these are copies), and then run ExifTool on these two files and compare the results.
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

C-F

Post by C-F » 04 Jul 16 22:31

Thank you,

well, no, I don't have any of those because as mentioned above, I ingest with PM5. However, I sent two images to Hert for verification ( I am on a mac laptop and exiftool works only in terminal mode (= no GUI and very tedious for an old amateur like me). You can see the results in my other thread 'Flash fired flag'.

As far as the catalog labels are concerned, I can only try to clear ALL key words out of the images used so far one by one in PM5 (which btw are showing in that program) [hey, its just 204 images that I used in PSu... :roll: so no problem :lol: ] and start fresh with a new catalog.

ps, just thought of another way, maybe? Could I just clear all labels in ASu and update with: disabling any reading and just 'write metadata to file' by right clicking the image - would that clear out all stored data in the image or would the unused keywords (the once I'm trying to clear out) remain in the image?

vlad

Post by vlad » 05 Jul 16 0:01

Clearing the labels will clear the corresponding keywords, assuming you have the Write preference set to replace keywords by catalog labels (rather than merge them).

C-F

Post by C-F » 05 Jul 16 0:45

Thanks, I will try that - do I have to run a 'write to xmp' command too afterwards as you suggested in the other post?

vlad

Post by vlad » 05 Jul 16 7:13

No need to run 'write to xmp' - or knock on wood, or spell some magic words. Simply running the logical action ('save metadata') should suffice :)
Last edited by vlad on 05 Jul 16 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 05 Jul 16 11:06

C-F wrote:I am on a mac laptop and exiftool works only in terminal mode (= no GUI and very tedious for an old amateur like me).
Have you tried pyexiftoolgui?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

C-F

Post by C-F » 05 Jul 16 13:13

Hi Stephen,
yes, but it wants to know where exiftool is installed and I don't know where it is on the drive - I know its there somewhere because I used it with terminal but I can't find it in finder...
So, I was not able to use it...

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 21 Aug 16 16:12

C-F wrote:Hi Stephen,
yes, but it wants to know where exiftool is installed and I don't know where it is on the drive - I know its there somewhere because I used it with terminal but I can't find it in finder...
So, I was not able to use it...
I must have been travelling when you posted this. "Find Any File" is a better tool than the search bar in Mac. I cannot remember how I set it up (just that it was a bit fiddly) but probably the instructions were together with the download. This is where exiftool is found on my system:
Find Any FileScreenSnapz002.jpg
Find Any FileScreenSnapz002.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
Possibly I didn't set it up correctly. I would have expected when selecting the file and then clicking the pyexiftoolgui icon, that the file would open. Only the app opens and then I have to search for the file. At least that is better than having to remember the name pyexiftoolgui! :D

Hope this helps a little.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.