Rieck's Controlled Vocab & New PS install

fsalveson

Rieck's Controlled Vocab & New PS install

Post by fsalveson » 14 Apr 16 12:58

Hi,

I recently purchased a new laptop and am making it my principal computer. I have reinstalled PS. Three questions:

1. I did back up catalog and thumb in one backup. I presume I can restore both to the new installation using the "restore PS data". Is this correct?

2. I was also using Rieck's Controlled Vocabulary. How do I reinstall that into the new PS install so that I don't lose my existing work? And,

3. Is there anything else that I need to do make sure everything is synced to the new location of already categorized photos?

Thanks,
Franklin Salveson

Mike Buckley

Re: Rieck's Controlled Vocab & New PS install

Post by Mike Buckley » 14 Apr 16 13:17

1. If you used the Supreme backup process (as opposed to using an external backup tool) and if you plan to use the Supreme restore process, you are correct. It's important to use both processes to ensure that all of your current settings and profiles are retained. The only detail I found that was not retained is my Favorites.

2. You don't need to do anything special; your Controlled Vocabulary is stored in your catalog and will automatically appear once you restore the catalog on the new computer.

3. Make note of your current Favorites. If you have the same experience I mentioned, you'll need to manually recreate them. It also might be a good idea for you to review the details explained in the Quick Start Maintenance Guide. Look for the heading, "Migrating to a New Computer," beginning near the bottom of page 4. Pay particular attention to the last paragraph in that explanation.

fsalveson

Post by fsalveson » 15 Apr 16 23:11

Thanks so much, Mike, for the quick response. It appears I'm on the correct path. However, a follow-up question is:

1. Should I restore the backup first and then import the photos from the current location to PS, or the other way around, import the photos to PS from the current location, and then restore the backups? Or, does it matter?

Thanks,
Franklin

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 15 Apr 16 23:17

You won't import the photos into Supreme; they are already part of your catalog. Be sure to follow the instructions explained in the Quick Start Maintenance Guide that I mentioned and everything should be just fine.

fsalveson

Post by fsalveson » 21 Apr 16 22:23

Thanks Mike. The restore process went smoothly. Even the favorites seemed to be ok. Again, thanks for your quick responses.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 21 Apr 16 22:51

Good to know that everything worked so well!

I'm envious of you that your Favorites were automatically restored. Fortunately, if I had to pick the one type of setting that I wouldn't mind having to manually recreate, it would be the Favorites because of the ease and speed of recreating them.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Apr 16 14:13

favorites are stored inside the database. Mike's experience probably dates from a while ago when favorites weren't in the database yet.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Apr 16 18:17

I have to wonder why my Favorites wouldn't be stored in the database. That's because I was using build 2074 when I used Supreme's backup and restore capabilities. There is only one more recent build.

Hert

Post by Hert » 23 Apr 16 20:24

I cant explain it then. The favorites are stored in the database for about 1.5 years now.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system