Funky Description field

OldRadioGuy

Funky Description field

Post by OldRadioGuy » 03 Mar 16 19:31

Is anyone else frustrated with use of the Description field in the Descriptions pane?

In the Windows version:

I find it hard to read and edit because the lack of font-background color contrast, small size of the font, and the lack of uniformity in font spacing.

I have suggested a feature change in Mantis that would pop-up a larger-font, black-on-font window for entering and editing text.

Bob
Photo Supreme 6; DxO PhotoLab; ON1 Photo RAW; ExposureX; Affinity Photo; PhotoLine; macOS Big Sur; 27-inch iMac, Retina 5K

Mike Buckley

Re: Funky Description field

Post by Mike Buckley » 03 Mar 16 19:47

That field is styled like all of the other text fields in the Details panel and all of them are easy for me to read and edit. As for the lack of contrast between the font and the background, the former is white and the latter is dark grey on my system; plenty of contrast.

OldRadioGuy

Post by OldRadioGuy » 03 Mar 16 21:31

Here's the way it looks on my Windows 10 system:

Certainly not the best contrast for legibility.

When typing the space between letters seems to vary at times, and if you pause it's impossible to accurately determine where you are because the typing cursor can obscure the last letter.

A pop-up with larger fonts and better contrast would address those issues.

Bob
Photo Supreme 6; DxO PhotoLab; ON1 Photo RAW; ExposureX; Affinity Photo; PhotoLine; macOS Big Sur; 27-inch iMac, Retina 5K

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 03 Mar 16 21:35

It looks that way on my system also.

I agree with you that use of the cursor can be problematic but I don't think that's because of a lack of contrast or use of a small font. I think that's because the word-processing capabilities just aren't very good. I'm fine when I'm typing from beginning to end in one fell swoop in that text field but I experience the issues you describe when going back to insert a word, correct a typo, or for any reason edit what I have already typed.

If the description is lengthy, sometimes I type it in a word processor (because doing so is so much easier) and then copy and paste the text into Supreme. Another advantage of doing that is that the word processor, unlike Supreme, has a spell checker.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 03 Mar 16 22:32

The way the cursor works in PSu is indeed a real nuisance. I agree: it is very difficult to see, where exactly it is placed. In fact it i such a thin line that it is barely visible.
When typing the space between letters seems to vary at times
I too can confirm this and believe this probably is still the same ancient bug with the Trebuchet font. I first reported in Mantis a long time ago (strangely enough that bug report no longer exists: http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=1983). It is particularly bad, apparently, if you use italics: http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2612
The funny thing: strictly speaking this is seems to be not necessarily a PSu bug, but one caused by Windows. Apparently, some versions of Trebuchet on some (all?) Windows systems do not display correctly. If PSu used a different font the issue would possibly disappear.

All that said: it was a lot worse on previous versions of PSu (one reason why I decided against moving from IDI to PSu version 2). And: Mike's recommendation to copy-paste from a word processor is really good advice! I don't think your suggestion ( (http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=3005)) for a separate pop-up window for the descriptions field is really such a good idea. You might as well use a decent word-processor instead.

vlad

Post by vlad » 03 Mar 16 23:55

fbungarz wrote:I first reported in Mantis a long time ago (strangely enough that bug report no longer exists: http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=1983)
It does exist: http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=1983
(Note that bugs.idimager.com may be a thing of the past.)

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 04 Mar 16 0:38

If you don't see a bug it may be because the "project" field, at the top of the screen, which acts as a filter, is set to a different version of PSU (e.g. PSU3) than the one the bug was originally raised under. I've fallen for that a few times :oops:
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

Mke

Post by Mke » 04 Mar 16 1:24

I agree with the points above.
Beware, though, that if you're adding / pasting in a long description, words after the first 690 characters in description field are not found in search results - an SQLite limitation, apparently.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 04 Mar 16 9:22

OldRadioGuy wrote:Is anyone else frustrated with use of the Description field in the Descriptions pane?
I find it hard to read and edit because the lack of font-background color contrast, small size of the font, and the lack of uniformity in font spacing.
Everybody's eyes are different of course and I agree 100%. The font is far too small for long texts. Under Mac you can click on the pencil and get a much larger pop up for editing. Perhaps that works under Windows too?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 04 Mar 16 11:18

(Note that bugs.idimager.com may be a thing of the past.)
Of course, my mistake. Good to know thinks don't mysteriously vanish :wink:

@snowman: yes, I stumbled across the version issue in Mantis too. I actually don't quite understand the logic behind this. Are we supposed to assume that everything filed under v1 or v2 has been addressed in v3? Unlikely that this is the case, right?
I guess for Hert it is a convenient way to start again when a new version is released. Things tend to pile up and not every bug is always marked a resolved, even if in fact it has been squashed...

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 04 Mar 16 14:52

Stephen wrote:Under Mac you can click on the pencil and get a much larger pop up for editing. Perhaps that works under Windows too?
Thanks, for that! I hadn't noticed the pencil icon, which is also displayed on the Windows version. The popup window that it produces does seem to be far more effective even though the color and size of the font seem to be the same as in the text field itself.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 04 Mar 16 22:30

@fbungarz: Hi Frank. I seem to recall Hert said somewhere that the unresolved bug reports remain active regardless of what project they are under, but I would struggle to find that reference now. Hopefully that is the case. There seems to be no way of moving a bug from, say, V2 to V3.

@Stephen: thank you - how on earth did I not notice that before?!
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 04 Mar 16 23:26

OldRadioGuy wrote:Is anyone else frustrated with use of the Description field in the Descriptions pane?

In the Windows version:

I have suggested a feature change in Mantis that would pop-up a larger-font, black-on-font window for entering and editing text.

Bob
I would be pleased if we could use the forum default color palette in PSu.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

OldRadioGuy

Post by OldRadioGuy » 06 Mar 16 4:26

Mike Buckley wrote:
Stephen wrote:Under Mac you can click on the pencil and get a much larger pop up for editing. Perhaps that works under Windows too?
Thanks, for that! I hadn't noticed the pencil icon, which is also displayed on the Windows version. The popup window that it produces does seem to be far more effective even though the color and size of the font seem to be the same as in the text field itself.
I guess I'm the dunce here; I had never tried using the Pencil. However, in Windows, the Pencil tool text is worse than the original:

Would be better with a cleaner and larger font and black on white.

Bob

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 06 Mar 16 19:52

OldRadioGuy wrote:I guess I'm the dunce here; I had never tried using the Pencil. However, in Windows, the Pencil tool text is worse than the original.
Certainly not! There are many tiny hidden details which are not obvious.

There is room for improvement and a larger font would be great.

Incidentally (and I don't want to highjack your thread), I see that you use Capture One Pro v. 9 and I am surveying users for their experience here, if you have a few moments:
http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24140
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.