Questions about "Export to Folder"

vlad

Questions about "Export to Folder"

Post by vlad » 01 Mar 16 16:39

Hello, could someone please explain me a couple of things related to Folder Transfer (aka Export to Folder):

1) Why are some settings (for example, Catalog Settings) visible and editable only when Sizing is checked? What if I want to make exact copies?
2) What is the actual effect of enabling or disabling: "Force stored previews to be used"?
3) Is there a way to automatically import the result (the copied images) to the catalog, other than enabling "add result as a version of the original"?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Buckley

Re: Questions about "Export to Folder"

Post by Mike Buckley » 01 Mar 16 17:14

Responses to...

1) Don't know. However, it doesn't matter. That's because even if you are not changing the size of the file, you can configure the parameter to use the same size.

2) There is probably no effect. I think that is probably a hold over from IDimager, which provided the option of converting the raw file or using the stored preview.

3) No.

If I correctly understand your goals, you could accomplish them by copying an image file to another folder before making the other changes you want to make. You wouldn't have to version the file and it would be automatically imported. However, you will have to "Read Metadata from the FIle" if you want the newly created file to be in synch with the catalog.

vlad

Post by vlad » 01 Mar 16 18:20

Mike, thanks for the answers. They are helpful.
Mike Buckley wrote: If I correctly understand your goals, you could accomplish them by copying an image file to another folder before making the other changes you want to make. You wouldn't have to version the file and it would be automatically imported. However, you will have to "Read Metadata from the FIle" if you want the newly created file to be in synch with the catalog.
That's a very good point. Actually, your remark has made me aware of an additional, notable requirement: if the source image is OOS, then its metadata ought to be saved to file, prior to copying the image to another folder.

In other words, the new image metadata reflects the metadata in the source file, but the two images and files are henceforth indepedent. (That makes sense, but it's different than what happens when an image is (virtually) copied to a portfolio, for example.)

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 01 Mar 16 18:27

vlad wrote:(That makes sense, but it's different than what happens when an image is (virtually) copied to a portfolio, for example.)
Yes, and it also makes sense that the outcomes of the two situations are different because they are indeed two very different situations.

vlad

Post by vlad » 01 Mar 16 18:42

Yes, but it's interesting, because the two different outcomes can be achieved using exactly the same action (be it drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste).(*) That's why highlighting the key difference is a worthy exercise, in my opinion.

(*) It's a kind of polymorphic behaviour, if you will.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 01 Mar 16 21:04

vlad wrote:the two different outcomes can be achieved using exactly the same action
For me, that's like saying using the exact same methods to kill, butcher and cook a cow and pig will produce two different outcomes. One will be pork and the other will be beef because the process began with two very different situations, exactly as when using Supreme in this case.

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 01 Mar 16 22:25

Re the original questions,

(1) This operates the same as other forms of sharing such as Flickr upload (not unreasonably). Changes such as non-destructive edits are ONLY applied to the output if sizing is in operation - use "original size" if necessary as a kind of null operation. See http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php ... hilit=size

(2) I have been intending asking exactly the same question, I would like to know the answer. Seems hard to believe this would just be a hangover but maybe. The help document does not explain these parameters.

(3) What others have said re the mechanism. Having an image in a portfolio is completely different to creating a separate image file, which would naturally have its own independent metadata; it is the inclusion of one and the same image in multiple "categories" (for want of a better word, apologies) within the PSU database and naturally the one image has one set of metadata (be it within the database, within the file, or both (i.e. image is synched with PSU catalog)). Drag and drop from PSU only ever drags the source file to a destination. That might not seem very good but of course it is by far the easiest option for PSU as to do anything else (e.g. applying edits) would mean creating a temporary file prior to dragging that to the target app.
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Mar 16 0:41

Hi snowman, thanks for your helpful answers and explanations.
snowman1 wrote: (3) What others have said re the mechanism. Having an image in a portfolio is completely different to creating a separate image file, which would naturally have its own independent metadata;
Yep, that's of course natural. To me, the subtle (non-obvious) point, which I realized thanks to Mike, is the following: right after copying, the Supreme catalog may store (or show) different metadata for the new image, compared to the original image.

(Ignoring for a moment any technical difficulty, as a user I see no obvious reason why a "smart" copy-paste, based on Supreme DB records, could not clone all the internal metadata, including label assignments. Barring any indication regarding the designed behaviour, one might even argue that the current behaviour could possibly be a bug.)

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 02 Mar 16 10:55

Hoping that I am not highjacking Vlad's topic because that is a valid and important matter?

However I have this immediate related issue. Whether using:
right click> Operations >Export to folder command or
Share > Copy to folder

I cannot see to find a way to "export" (put a copy) of an original RAW into a selected location. Regardless of my settings (Keep original size) both of the above commands downsize the file considerably and ADD a .jpg to the end of the filename i.e., 1234.RAW.jpg Double dots are allowed in Mac OS, so basically I am getting a small jpg as output. I have been using the "Copy to folder" command a lot recently also using different file sizes, but always using a jpg as my source file. This is the first time I have needed to export a RAW file.

Is this behavior to be expected?
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Mar 16 11:27

Stephen, I've just tried Export to Folder on a single RAW image and it worked without a glitch (both original+xmp sidecar were correctly copied). I did not modify the size or the file name. Maybe you set a file naming rule to add the .jpg extension?
Last edited by vlad on 02 Mar 16 11:43, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 02 Mar 16 11:36

Nope. No file naming rule set. I just tested again by marking an exporting a RAW and a JPG simultaneously. The JPG is exported at full size, but the RAW file is severely downsized has .jpg appended.
Last edited by Stephen on 02 Mar 16 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Never say never change, but using Mac since 2005. Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2605. I endorse the interoperability of files between applications and systems.

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Mar 16 11:43

Do you have any setting enabled under Catalog Settings?

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 02 Mar 16 11:50

No. Under Preferences > Catalog > Versioning, all are set as "no matching" except Album display. I can find no other possibly settings. Maybe this is unique to Mac?

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Mar 16 11:54

I was referring to the naming and catalog settings in the Folder Transfer profile. You could check them in the panel that pops up when you invoke Operations >Export to folder.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » 02 Mar 16 12:06

Oh, sorry. No, in that area it is set to use the file name and nothing is clicked under Catalog Settings. Don't worry though as I have just a few RAWs which I can individually find in the folder structure. It is strange though and possibly a bug (or a safeguard to prevent inadvertently sending RAW files)?