Upgrade Windows and the C-drive

HaraldE

Upgrade Windows and the C-drive

Post by HaraldE » 11 Feb 16 15:42

Morning,

I am considering to upgrade my Thinkpad and it may be a major upgrade. My wish is to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and to install a larger C-drive. If possible I will also do some other changes, like more graphics memory and a larger D-drive

To move PSU to a new drive is fairly well documenmted. Mainly do a backup on old drive, swap drives and then do a recover on new drive.

However, since I will also upgrade Windows I see two alternatives.
A: Upgrade from W7 to W10 on current C-drive and then swap the C-drive for a larger one
B: Swap the C-drive for a larger one and then upgrade from W7 to W10

I am not asking for advice on the C-drive and Windows change (allthough I much need it) but want to hear some comments regarding PSU

Is there any main difference for PSU if I choose A or B above?
Is there an obvious reason why PSU would be easier to move in A or B?

Thanks for any comments, Harald

PhilBurton

Re: Upgrade Windows and the C-drive

Post by PhilBurton » 11 Feb 16 17:36

Harald,

Just as a suggestion to think about, have you compared the cost of these upgrades with a new Thinkpad running Windows 10, possibly with a touch-screen?

Me, I have a Thinkpad T530 running Win 7, which I will upgrade to Win 10, but I'm satisfied with disk space and memory.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 11 Feb 16 17:38

Harald,

First, consider purchasing a mSATA SSD as your primary (OS) drive. I recommend an SSD at least 256GB in size. Second, do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new SSD.

With regard to PSu, once you've got your new OS and drivers installed, install PSU and then restore your PSU catalog from a backup.

For help with drive swaps and installing Windows 10, hop over to How-To Geek and look at the many articles about Windows 10. If you would like specific help, got to How-To Geek Discussion, create an account and post to either the Windows or Computer Help forum. If you decide to post there, please be sure to include the specs of your current system, and be specific with your questions.

Edit: For both Phil and Harald--You will need to be sure your laptops are compatible with Windows 10. My experience has been that machines that run Win 7 without issues will generally work well with Win 10. Before upgrading, I suggest you find out from Lenovo if their drivers are compatible with Win 10.

I upgraded my workstation and my laptop form Win 7 to Win 10 and aside from a couple of minor glitches that were easily fixed, I am having no issues. PSu performs nicely on both machines.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

vlad

Post by vlad » 11 Feb 16 18:02

@Harald: nice to see you back in the forum.

Big +1 on the SSD advice (although I personally use only a hybrid disk right now).
PhilBurton wrote: Just as a suggestion to think about, have you compared the cost of these upgrades with a new Thinkpad running Windows 10, possibly with a touch-screen?
Does a touchscreen make any difference for Photo Supreme in particular? (So far, touchscreens on standalone monitors and laptops have not had any special appeal to me, but I'm keeping an open mind.)

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 11 Feb 16 20:58

SSD advice (although I personally use only a hybrid disk right now).
I would not go for a hybrid myself. I personally had some really bad experiences using one, but I am partly to blame, because I tried to partition that drive and the controller for the SSD chip went haywire (even though the software said it did support partitioning of hybrid drives) :mrgreen:

Generally, I consider keeping the system drive apart from data drive(s) good practice. Most Laptops support only a single drive, that means working with partitions is the only option if you want to keep data and system separately. I guess the windows standard configuration, however, does not follow that practice. So, I might be in a minority here, but I like the option to just dump all the data from the data drive into one backup and just clone the system drive. Old habits die hard :wink:

[On my desktop I now have a system SSD and HDDs for the data]

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 11 Feb 16 21:18

vlad wrote:
Big +1 on the SSD advice (although I personally use only a hybrid disk right now).
PhilBurton wrote: Just as a suggestion to think about, have you compared the cost of these upgrades with a new Thinkpad running Windows 10, possibly with a touch-screen?
Does a touchscreen make any difference for Photo Supreme in particular? (So far, touchscreens on standalone monitors and laptops have not had any special appeal to me, but I'm keeping an open mind.)
+1 to the +1 on the SSD.

I guess I assumed that people use their laptops for more than just PSu. For other apps, I've seen colleagues use touchscreens and are quite pleased with them. If/when I upgrade, it will be to a laptop with a touchscreen.
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 12 Feb 16 2:04

Morning,

Thanks for good advice. A few details on the disk setup I have today since I see some valid comments above

My PC is a Lenovo W510 and I have 2 hard drives inside. One is an SSD of 120 GB and this is my C-drive
C contains Windows and all programs and also the catalog för PSU. Basicly it has no personal data like photos
Plan is to upgrade to a new SSD of maybe 240 GB

Then I have swaped by CD-player with a normal harddisk, which is my D-drive. This D contains all my data, like photos and docs and some film and ... whatever. It is 1 TB of size. I wish I could have a larger drive. At the moment I have around 90K items inside PSU and they are all on the D-drive. There are an increasing number of small films.

A question. Do I need to download any specific version of PSU for W10 or do I just go for the same 64 bit one I have today?

About changing my Thinkpad, well it is a valid comment, never really thought about it. It will cost a lot more and I am still happy with what I have. Key thing for me is to have a PC where I can have 2 drives inside.

Preston, thanks for advice, I will do a plan that involves setting up W10 and get PSU up and running on a new C-drive first
There is no plan at the moment, mainly some thoughts, I want to have this completed before summer ... so don't hold your breath.

And Vlad, thanks for positive commnent, I have never been away, looking through these forums at leats once a week, just haven't had any issues or problems. PSU is working just fine all the time. Actually I do have an issue with the connection to SmugMug and one of these day I will raise a ticket in Mantis. Apart from that PSU is plain sailing.

About a touch screen, I am for the moment not interested in that, maybe later

Best regards, Harald

vlad

Post by vlad » 12 Feb 16 9:00

HaraldE wrote: And Vlad, thanks for positive commnent, I have never been away, looking through these forums at leats once a week, just haven't had any issues or problems. PSU is working just fine all the time. Actually I do have an issue with the connection to SmugMug and one of these day I will raise a ticket in Mantis. Apart from that PSU is plain sailing.
Ah, the rare Happy Customer (felix clienti) ...a vanishing species in a spoiled tech world...

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 14 Aug 16 4:43

HaraldE wrote:. . . Actually I do have an issue with the connection to SmugMug and one of these day I will raise a ticket in Mantis. Apart from that PSU is plain sailing. . . .
I wonder what your problem with the SmugMug upload is. Since the most recent update, I have a problem. I can't upload to SmugMug at all through the PSU interface. When I run it it takes about five minutes to load, and then shows each folder and gallery multiple times (up to 30 or some times for each). However, they all appear to be ghost entries as one can not pick any one and actually upload to it. So, I've been just uploading via Explorer and Drag and Drop into the appropriate gallery in the SM browser interface.

Carl

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 14 Aug 16 4:51

Update: I just deleted and reauthorized my SM credentials within PSU, and now everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure why I had to do that, but alls well that ends well! :-)

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 14 Aug 16 17:52

n8vz wrote:Update: I just deleted and reauthorized my SM credentials within PSU, and now everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure why I had to do that, but alls well that ends well! :-)
Morning, glad to hear your problem is all solved. Unfortunately my own situation has gone from irritating to bad.

After upgrading to PSU 3.3 I decided to try the same method you have described above so I deleted my SM connection and created a new one.
Earlier it worked rather well (my original issue is in Mantis 3011) but now I can not make a connection to SM as I could before.
The Authentication/Login works ok since I do not get an error. But the problem now is that I do not get a list for the drop-down at "Target Location". It just says "No album".

Also, when I tested an upload from PSU to SM I was asked by PSU for name of an album. I gave a name and later found this (with the test photos) in the SM folder called Other. And this is not where I want them.

Can you tell me if you are on PSU 3.3 or an earlier version?

Regards, Harald

Hert

Post by Hert » 14 Aug 16 23:13

Harald,

SMugMug works fine here.
Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 12.10.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 12.10.18 AM.png (76.14 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 15 Aug 16 16:57

Thanks Hert,

I suspect there is an issue with me and my connection, I will do some more investigations
And the fact that the photos are uploaded proves the connection is alive. Just don't understand why I don't see any folders?

Regards, Harald

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 17 Aug 16 23:03

Harald,

I'm using PSU 3.3.0.2558, which I believe is the latest version. I did have one more hiccup just after I posted my last message. I went to upload another batch to SM and saw the same problem as before -- all sorts of repetitive "ghost" galleries and folders. However, this time I did not delete and reinstall my PSU SM setup, but instead I just disconnected and then reconnected. Then everything was once again fine. I've now uploaded an additional five or so batches and each time I've had no problem on the first try. I don't think that the problem is really permanently solved, but right now it's working. There do seem to be some gremlins in the SM-PSU link, but I have no idea if it's an SM or PSU problem. As I said, it's working at the moment so I'll stop complaining -- at least temporarily! ;-)

Carl

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 18 Aug 16 14:52

n8vz wrote:... instead I just disconnected and then reconnected
Hello Carl,

Can you tell me precisly what you do when you disconnect and reconnect, thanks

Regards, Harald