JPG and XMP files

acertain

JPG and XMP files

Post by acertain » 29 Jan 16 6:13

As anybody who has been following the forum knows ( :wink: ), I just switched my image database from Media Pro to Photo Supreme. The way I transferred the metadata was to export the Media Pro data in XMP files and then import the images in Photo Supreme. Everything seemed to work great, but I've been discovering some glitches. The most recent one I discovered was that the XMP files seem to have been ignored for JPG files. Media Pro wrote them out, but when Photo Supreme imported them, it ignored the data in the XMP files (didn't copy them over nor collect the metadata). It seems to have picked up the XMP metadata for CRW and CR2 files, but not the JPG files

I'm trying to figure out what to do here. If I don't get any better ideas, I'll nuke all the JPG images from the database, use exiftool to merge the XMP data into the JPG files and then re-import, but I was wondering if anybody knew whether XMP files were always ignored for JPGs or if there's a way for me to update the images with the XMP file (or I have one big file with all the XMP data if that helps).

Thanks.

Andrew

Hert

Re: JPG and XMP files

Post by Hert » 29 Jan 16 7:26

for jpg files the XMP must be embedded. That is how it is defined per the standard.
You can import XMP sidecar files for jog with the Batcher. I believe the command is Import XMP
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

acertain

Re: JPG and XMP files

Post by acertain » 29 Jan 16 20:17

Thanks. Unfortunately, since I imported the JPEG files and they got renamed on import, is there going to be any way for the batcher to know which XMP file to use for each JPEG? I'm guessing I'm just going to have to re-import everything, either using Media Pro to update the JPEG first, or using exiftool as described above.

Andrew