Confusion about import dates

acertain

Confusion about import dates

Post by acertain » 18 Jan 16 10:08

Hi all -

I just imported 16K photos from Media Pro to Photo Supreme, and it mostly went well, but there are a few odd things. One is that I have about 1000 photos that were correctly renamed on import but have the wrong date when locating by date. More specifically, I had Photo Supreme import photos to folders and files based on the image date, and those folders/file names are correct, but when I look at the catalog selector in the left hand nav and select "by date," they show up as the date they were imported to the catalog, not by the date they were taken/the date in the file name. Does anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks.

Andrew

LifeIsLong

Re: Confusion about import dates

Post by LifeIsLong » 18 Jan 16 13:26

i too have seen different dates. I rename on import using %yyyy %mm and %dd, which I also use for a subfolder name. I have seen photos come in with the correct filename date, but incorrect metadata or folder names. To me it seems like it pulls the dates from different parts of the metadata.

I think I usually see this on photos I have "redated" before importing.

vlad

Post by vlad » 18 Jan 16 13:45

Hmm, that's odd. All I can tell you is that there is no one single "image date"; rather, PSU implements a certain algorithm for determining the date which is used in the "By Date" view - you could read about it here: http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php ... it=by+date

What's odd (but not totally unexpected, since there's also a difference between By Date vs Info panel date) is that you might have uncovered some discrepancies between the image dates employed during importing vs the image dates subsequently stored in the catalog (By Date).

acertain

Post by acertain » 25 Jan 16 1:53

OK. I've figured out part of what's going on. It seems that for some CRW files, it's unable to read the file metadata, sort of. So it names the file by the last-modified date of the original file in the file system, but then doesn't fill in any of the metadata, so the "date" that Photo Supreme uses is the XAP create date, which is set to the import date.

(Why Photo Supreme can't read the metadata is another question: http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=24088)

Andrew