If you also use Lightoom, which Photo Supreme features are most important/least important

PhilBurton

If you also use Lightoom, which Photo Supreme features are most important/least important

Post by PhilBurton » 13 Jan 16 16:28

I'm just starting out with Lightroom, and I'm asking for guidance from people with more experience using both PSU (v3) and Lightroom, especially LR 6 or LR CC. I'm using Photo Supreme v3.0.2073 and Lightroom 6.3.

I'm asking this question because I have learned a LOT reading both current and old posts. I have about 80 topics bookmarked for future reference.

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

DirkS

Re: If you also use Lightoom, which Photo Supreme features are most important/least important

Post by DirkS » 14 Jan 16 11:57

IMHO the main thing is to decide which of the two is leading regarding metadata.
Basically I use the DAM / Cataloging features of PSU and the RAW / editing features of Lightroom (CC).

There can be conflicts, and there are situations where LR will write metadata that I don't want, so I decided that PSu does not read metadata from images that are changed.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

PhilBurton

Re: If you also use Lightoom, which Photo Supreme features are most important/least important

Post by PhilBurton » 14 Jan 16 19:24

DirkS wrote:IMHO the main thing is to decide which of the two is leading regarding metadata.
Basically I use the DAM / Cataloging features of PSU and the RAW / editing features of Lightroom (CC).

There can be conflicts, and there are situations where LR will write metadata that I don't want, so I decided that PSu does not read metadata from images that are changed.
Dirk,

I think you are saying that you use Photo Supreme for most of the "Library" functions in Lightroom. Is that so?

What would be an example of a conflict in metadata?
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 14 Jan 16 22:28

PhilBurton wrote:I think you are saying that you use Photo Supreme for most of the "Library" functions in Lightroom. Is that so?
Yes, pretty much
What would be an example of a conflict in metadata?
LR has a tendency of adding keywords that I don't want.
Example: I have a label hierarchy Others/Practice Images
PSU only writes the 'Practice Images' to keywords (and that's how I set it up).
When I save DNG Preview + Metadata back to the image in LR then it will add 'Other' to the keywords.
Very annoying and I have not found a way around it.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 17 Jan 16 16:04

PSU: Metadata (98%). Details and Assign panels. I use the Info panel when I am initially setting up the catalog.

Lightroom: Library (the other 2% of metadata and filtering images for export, viewing, and develop) and Develop tabs. Used for exporting images.
DirkS wrote: LR has a tendency of adding keywords that I don't want.
Example: I have a label hierarchy Others/Practice Images
PSU only writes the 'Practice Images' to keywords (and that's how I set it up).
When I save DNG Preview + Metadata back to the image in LR then it will add 'Other' to the keywords.
Very annoying and I have not found a way around it.
I have encountered this and I haven't encountered this with different PSU and Lightroom catalogs. I don't use DNG - not sure that makes a difference. I will take some notes on my current setup and share.
Photo Supreme 4.3.4.2141 (64 bits) (Windows)