How to handle country codes

tstoddard

How to handle country codes

Post by tstoddard » 21 Dec 15 18:17

Now that Hert has identified and corrected, for the next update, the issue PSU has with writing location data to the locationcreated and locationshown fields, I have started to do some more experimenting with GEO Tagging. In the process of doing this, I've been reminded of the questions I have about Country Codes. To better explain my question, allow me to describe what I believe happens when using the GEO Tagging panel to lookup location data and apply it.

1. I select one or more thumbnails and open the GEO Tagging panel
2. I mark a place on the map and click the reverse lookup button
3. I review the location data and make any desired modifications and then click Apply
4. I go to the Places category and inspect the labels that are created by PSU automatically. (This only happens if there was not already an existing label for that particular location)
5. I find that the labels are mapped to the correct metadata fields

All of this is great and is exactly what I would want PSU to do. The problem is, that the Country Code field is written to the files that are selected when I apply the current location, which again is good, but, there is no label created which can be mapped to the Country Code field. This means that if I assign one of my location labels to other files that the location data written to my metadata will not include the Country Code field.

So, the question is, how should I handle this. It seems that I have three options:

1. Manually enter the Country Code whenever I assign a location label to a file or files
2. Use the GEO Tagging panel to do a reverse lookup every time I want to assign a location to a file (I suppose I could assign the label first and then use lookup to find the location on the map using the coordinates and then do a reverse lookup to get the correct location data, which seems a bit foolish to do)
3. Create a label under every country label that would be mapped to the Country Code metadata field.

I'm leaning toward option 3 unless somebody can point out to me a better solution. Any suggestions?

If doing option 3 becomes my solution to this, I may create a feature request in mantis for PSU to do this automatically during the GEO Tagging process. Any feedback would be welcome.
Tom Stoddard

tstoddard

Re: How to handle country codes

Post by tstoddard » 22 Dec 15 2:16

Actually, there is a 4th option that I hadn't considered because I've never used it before. That would be to apply a detail profile with the country code entered into the appropriate fields. Does anyone have experience using detail profiles? Is there any issue with using both detail profiles and metadata mapping as long as I'm careful not to write data into the same fields with each?
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 15 7:20

And a 5th option is to enter the country code as part of your country catalog label's metadata details
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 22 Dec 15 12:54

Hert wrote:And a 5th option is to enter the country code as part of your country catalog label's metadata details
That is what I meant but now that you point it out, I realize I could apply a detail profile using the "Details" panel instead of the "label's details panel". What I was talking about when I said that I could apply a detail profile was to right click on the label, check the "Apply detail profile" in the metadata settings, and then click the "Detail Profile" button in the label's details panel. I assume that is what you mean.

What I'm wondering is, does it matter if I use both the "Mapped to" and a "detail profile" to write different data to different metadata fields? If there is a conflict, will it break anything or will one just overwrite the other? If so, which one wins out? Also, Is it any more efficient to use just the "Apply detail profile" to map all of the location data and not use the "Mapped to" at all?
Tom Stoddard

Hert

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 15 22:34

Setting the country code in the details of the catalog label is indeed what i was talking about.

You can use both mappings as well as details in a catalog liable. If they write the same field the one will overwrite the other (I don't know off the top of my head which prevails over the other)
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 23 Dec 15 16:16

Hert wrote:And a 5th option is to enter the country code as part of your country catalog label's metadata details
That's the method that I have been using for ages. Works fine.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 23 Dec 15 18:21

Thanks Hert and DirkS. I've been using the label details now and everything is working great.
Tom Stoddard