Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

sanphotgn

Re: Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

Post by sanphotgn » 08 Dec 15 20:20

Hert,

Would it be possible for you to update the "Search for Missing Thumbs or Previews" script?

Thanks,

Kevin
Photo Supreme 3.3.0.2602 (64 bits) (Windows)

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 08 Dec 15 20:58

Yes, I did.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 08 Dec 15 23:02

Nobody has asked what format(/s) is involved. If dealing with jpegs then there are utilities like jpegsnoop that might be able to help pin down corrupted files. I do agree that PSU ought to be able to report which file is responsible if a problem occurs during import. Thereafter the Verify function should detect corruption.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 09 Dec 15 16:57

I have several types of image files present, including jpegs, tiffs and pngs. No way to tell which type the corrupted files might be.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 09 Dec 15 18:06

This is not a solution to n8vz's problem.

Just an illustration Photo Supreme will indicate there is a problem for a specific file (see attachment).

The file is corrupted. A thumbnail is not built. If you see something like this try "Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews " under Tools in the menu. Or try right click, Operations, Rebuild Selected Thumbnails. If none of those work, there is probably an issue with the file.
Attachments
Corrupted_Photo.PNG
Corrupted_Photo.PNG (9.15 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

vlad

Post by vlad » 09 Dec 15 19:38

sanphotgn wrote:Hert,
Would it be possible for you to update the "Search for Missing Thumbs or Previews" script?
According to the repository, the script's authors are Lou Salkind and Dirk Schiphorst. But, is the script still useful in Supreme or is it superseded by the Build Missing Thumbanils and Previews function? To be honest, I don't even remember when is that operation useful? Under which (expected) circumstances will there be missing thumbnails and previews? I couldn't find any mention of the thumbnail building function in the start manual or the maintenance manual. (It should probably be included in the latter.)

Furthermore: if I invoke this operation on my catalog, it always finds 977 missing thumbnails. (The first time there was some background process suggesting the missing thumbnails were actually being rebuilt, but the subsequent invocations of the operation have been completing very fast, with no process of thumbnail building.) It seems that I have the same problem as Carl and I have no idea why. This topic has now become top priority for me too.

sanphotgn

Post by sanphotgn » 09 Dec 15 20:05

I don't know if the script works properly in Photo Supreme, thus my request to Hert.

In my experience if you see a thumbnail and preview and everything looks OK, you are good. If you see a circle with a slash through it or something that doesn't look right, then possibly something is wrong.

If my memory serves me right, this script would identify the photos without a thumbnail or preview. One could then decide what to do. It saves one from scrolling through the catalog looking for bad thumbnails.

The Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews function has some kind of identification process, but does not display which files it acts on. This is where the script would be handy. Or have the Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews a two step process where (1) it identifies the files and (2) gives the user to proceed to build.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 09 Dec 15 21:04

Now that I am paying closer attention to what happens on my system, it always reports having found thousands of missing thumbnails. It never displays any attempt to build them. It never mentions any attempt to find or build missing previews. My guess is that it's just a reporting error, as I've never come across any thumbnails that don't display properly.

vlad

Post by vlad » 09 Dec 15 21:34

Kevin, Mike: thanks for the followup.

It's getting stranger: after I ran Cleanup Unused Thumbs and Previews (that took a long time and I have no idea what it did - or what it should have done :wink:), I am now getting over 6000 missing thumbnails reported. It may well be just a reporting error, but I would be much more comfortable if Hert could confirm that. I would also appreciate a brief explanation on the intention and recommended use of the two mentioned operations: Cleanup Unused Thumbs and Build Missing Thumbnails.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 09 Dec 15 21:51

If the function is the same as in IDimager:

Cleanup Unused Thumbs and Previews: Sometimes information about the thumbnails and preview images remains in the thumbnail database even though related information has been removed from the catalog database. Cleaning up the thumbnails removes the extraneous information.

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Dec 15 7:43

Cleanup thumbnails will search every thumbnail in the catalog and check if the corresponding image exists in the database, if not it will be removed from the thumbs database. In fact there is never a reason why you should even use it as PSU cleans the thumbs itself. This "feature" will be removed in the next maintenance update.

Build missing thumbs does just that: for every image in tge database it checks of a thumb exists if not then it is built (if possible, could be there is no file, or whatever other reason that causes a build failure).

PS. When mentioning thumb I mean thumb and preview.
PS2. Never run scripts in PSU that aren't marked to be available for PSU.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Dec 15 10:49

Hert wrote:Cleanup thumbnails will search every thumbnail in the catalog and check if the corresponding image exists in the database, if not it will be removed from the thumbs database. In fact there is never a reason why you should even use it as PSU cleans the thumbs itself.
Good - that matches my expectations.
Build missing thumbs does just that: for every image in tge database it checks of a thumb exists if not then it is built (if possible, could be there is no file, or whatever other reason that causes a build failure).
That, I don't understand quite as well. I've thought thumbs & previews are maintained in the DB even for off-line or missing images. What happens if an image file is touched (outside PSU) - who's responsible for the thumb rebuilding? And, If there are thumb build failures upon image import/reading, couldn't the culprits be clearly shown (perhaps in a separate tab), as suggested above by 'sanphotgn''?

More to the point: if 'Build missing thumbs' reports many missing thumbs found but then no building process kicks in (as it happens for me and Mike), should we conclude that it's likely just a reporting fluke? (In that case, I will report it to Mantis.)

Thanks,
Vlad

Hert

Post by Hert » 10 Dec 15 11:01

Verify Folder is intended to search for changes on the file system. That's not what Build missing thumbs does, which searches for non existing thumbnails in the database for images in the database.

If no thumbs are built for found missing thumbs then maybe these images can't be accessed on the file system or something else is wrong with the images.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Dec 15 12:09

Hert wrote:Verify Folder is intended to search for changes on the file system. That's not what Build missing thumbs does, which searches for non existing thumbnails in the database for images in the database.
I guess what I'm asking is how could there be non existing thumbnails, assuming that all thumbnails and previews are stored in the internal DB and are not subject to user's control? Is that a flawed assumption from my part?

(I can understand that some thumbnails might not be built upon import because of image corruption, but how could images with existing thumbnails lose their thumbnails later on? Is 'Build missing thumbs' essentially a recovery tool for possible inconsistencies or internal errors in the image DB?)
If no thumbs are built for found missing thumbs then maybe these images can't be accessed on the file system or something else is wrong with the images.
Hmm, I'll have another look but I haven't noticed anything suspicious so far.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 15 13:34

Hert wrote:If no thumbs are built for found missing thumbs then maybe these images can't be accessed on the file system or something else is wrong with the images.
I doubt that that is the case on my system. I have about 30,000 files in my catalog. About 15,000 thumbnails are reported as being missing but not being rebuilt. Yet I have had no experience coming upon thumbnails that are improperly displayed.