Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

n8vz

Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

Post by n8vz » 22 Oct 15 20:06

I've had the following problem now for several months. Every time that I do a Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews it finds about 4500 of the suckers and then proceeds to build new ones. The only problem is that if I do the same routine again -- moments to hours later -- it finds the same number of missing thumbnails and previews and rebuilds them. In essence the rebuilding process seems to be illusory. In easier English for those non-native English speakers on the board: It's broke. How do I fix it? I'm using the lastest updated of PSU for Windows, running on Win10-64. Thanks. -- Carl
Last edited by n8vz on 23 Oct 15 22:24, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Buckley

Re: Problem with "build missing thumbnails and previews"

Post by Mike Buckley » 22 Oct 15 22:05

Try compacting both databases. This potential solution is only a guess.

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 23 Oct 15 22:24

Thanks for your suggestion, Mike. I tried it but it made no difference. Problem remains. Anybody else got an idea?

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 24 Oct 15 3:48

Try reinstalling the software. Perhaps the pertinent program file has become corrupted. Again, only a guess.

Hert

Post by Hert » 24 Oct 15 6:59

Is there sufficient disk space on the drive that holds the catalog files?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 24 Oct 15 12:03

IDimager wrote:Is there sufficient disk space on the drive that holds the catalog files?
I also thought of that possibility but ruled it out once it was confirmed that there is sufficient disk space to compact both catalog files.

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 26 Oct 15 15:41

Yes, there is a huge amount of free disk space on the relevant drive. I have not yet tried to re-install the program. I have done all recent updates, which I believe effectively re-installs the program. The last update I did was just in the last few weeks. I've been kind of waiting for a reply from Hert, who I'm hoping could diagnose the problem with the given symptoms.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 26 Oct 15 19:59

n8vz wrote:I have done all recent updates, which I believe effectively re-installs the program.
I had a problem once with a file created by the program that had become corrupted. It did not get resolved by installing updates. I recommend that you try doing a complete re-install unless someone comes up with a better idea.

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 01 Nov 15 16:07

Well, for other reasons, I had to do a fresh install of my OS. After that I had to reinstall PSU. After the initial rebuild of the thumbnail database, I'm still experiencing the same problem. About 4,500 of the thumbnails are rebuilt each time. Since the common denominator is that I'm still using the same catalog database, I think that it's my catalog that must be corrupt. Any idea how to correct that? Thanks. -- Carl

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 01 Nov 15 16:53

If you have a backup of your catalog that you believe is not corrupted, you can use Supreme's Restore capability to use that catalog.

Otherwise, you can create a new catalog and import all of your photos into that catalog. If you have had your Writing Preference settings configured to write the ICS Schema, enable the corresponding Reading setting before importing. Doing so will re-create proprietary aspects of the catalog such as versioning, portfolios, private catalog labels and the like. Once you have imported all of your image files, return the Reading setting to its disabled state.

Before doing all of that, consider the possibility that a corrupted image file is bringing the building of missing thumbnails and previews to a halt. (I actually don't know whether or not that would happen.) You explained that the process always comes to a halt at about the same place. Perhaps that's because that's where a corrupt image file happens to be. If you find an image file in that area that can't be opened, that would indicate that it is corrupt.

vlad

Post by vlad » 02 Nov 15 13:11

Carl, I find the reported problem puzzling and troubling. (Mike's hypothesis about some corrupted image(s) may well offer the correct explanation.) Afaik, the (re)building of thumbnails has the notable side effect of computing (updating) the image file signatures. In my mind, this prompts some questions, although they are long shots:
1) Are those image files perhaps touched or protected by some external process (such as an antivirus program)?
2) What happens if you select the images and then run Verify Files or Verify Folders for Files on them?
3) What happens if you manually delete some images and then reimport them (perhaps via Verify Folder)?

If nothing makes a difference, then creating a new catalog from scratch or from a previous backup may indeed be your best. Good luck!

n8vz

Post by n8vz » 19 Nov 15 0:05

Well, I restored an old catalog and it partly solved the problem, but I'm not totally home yet. Now when I do a Build Missing Thumbnails and Previews, I don't get 4,500 that it constantly rebuilds but only six. However, it still rebuilds, apparently, the same six each time. I suspect that as Mike says I have six corrupted images with "bad" thumbnails. But, how to ID those and delete them is beyond me at this point. Any suggestions? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Nov 15 0:27

Just a guess: In the Catalog mode, enable By Catalog State. Then display the images that are out of sync. Perhaps it will only be those six images. Perhaps there will also be enough information displayed to help you determine which image files are problematic.

PhilBurton

Post by PhilBurton » 19 Nov 15 1:44

vlad wrote:Carl, I find the reported problem puzzling and troubling. (Mike's hypothesis about some corrupted image(s) may well offer the correct explanation.) Afaik, the (re)building of thumbnails has the notable side effect of computing (updating) the image file signatures. In my mind, this prompts some questions, although they are long shots:
1) Are those image files perhaps touched or protected by some external process (such as an antivirus program)?
2) What happens if you select the images and then run Verify Files or Verify Folders for Files on them?
3) What happens if you manually delete some images and then reimport them (perhaps via Verify Folder)?

If nothing makes a difference, then creating a new catalog from scratch or from a previous backup may indeed be your best. Good luck!
Since I am a newbie to Photo Supreme, I hope I'm not asking a dumb question. Is there any way to run an "image validate" function that would detect and optionally remove corrupted images?

I'm not familiar with the standards for different image types, but are there internal checksums that can be that can be used for this purpose?

Phil
Photo Supreme user
Home built i7 3930, 32 GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64, latest version of Photo Supreme 3, Lightroom 6 and Photoshop CS 6 (perpetual licenses)

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Nov 15 2:08

PhilBurton wrote:Is there any way to run an "image validate" function that would detect and optionally remove corrupted images?
Not that I'm aware of.