Problems importing images

Mike Buckley

Re: Problems importing images

Post by Mike Buckley » 11 Nov 15 16:03

Still no problem for me. I imported 900 images last Saturday with no issues whatsoever.

weidmic

Post by weidmic » 11 Nov 15 16:40

Hi Snowman1

What files create the problem and what is the filesize?
I might have to import a few hundred images on Friday - will see if I see the same problem again.
However with about hundred Images, I did not see the problem.

Best Regards,
Michael
PSUServer 6.x, PostgreSQL 12.x
My homepage http://www.michaelweidner.com

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 11 Nov 15 17:18

I've had issues for quite some time now but haven't reported them because my workflow is a little different than most and its only been a minor nuisance.

I cull, rename, and ingest my raw files using FastPictureViewer. Then, I open them in Photo Ninja and process the ones I want to process and render jpegs from the processed raws. Then, I import all of the raw and jpegs into Photo Supreme, detecting versions and applying a basic detail profile in the process. In most cases, if I have more than 100 files to import, My files get imported but then when the synchronization and thumbnail creation processes start, Photo Supreme freezes. I have to use Windows Task Manager to shut it down. Then I reopen Photo Supreme and select all of the newly imported files, write metadata to them and rebuild thumbnails. Those processes always seem to work without problem after restarting.

I used to import my raw images into Photo Supreme first but changed my workflow because of the issues the Photo Ninja seems to create. Any time I open Photo Ninja in browser mode, it modifies many of the files in the folder in which I'm working. Then when I go back to Photo Supreme, I have lots of out of synch files. By doing most of my processing before importing into Photo Supreme, I avoid having to resync my files over and over again. It's not the ideal scenario and I wish I could go back to importing into PSU first but these two programs just don't want to play nice together. Configuring Photo Ninja to conform to Photo Supreme's needs is not an option because it prevents me from being able to take advantage of some of the most valuable features I find in Photo Ninja.

In any case, I'm not sure if my issues with PSU freezing during import are related to the ones being experienced by the other posters in this thread but I thought I'd mention it anyway. In my case, I'm only importing images into my catalog. They are already on my internal hard drive at that point and I'm not moving or renaming them. They all get imported, they just don't get synced and the thumbnails don't get built.
Tom Stoddard

snowman1

Post by snowman1 » 11 Nov 15 21:41

@Mike, thanks for that, maybe it was just a glitch for me

@Tom, hard to tell if that's related or not TBH. Shame you couldn't solve the root cause issue - weird that PN touches other files in the folder. But maybe it does no significant update on them, so you wouldn't really need to resync? You could try taking an md5 checksum before and after to check (there are various handy utilities); worst case probably just writing "photoninja" to exif somewhere?

@Michael, just out-of-the-camera jpegs, they are not enormous files (it's a m4/3 cam, the resolution is not high by current standards). I put the card into the laptop slot and use PSU to ingest, main copy goes to a NAS drive with a backup copy to the laptop C: drive (all done in the PSU ingest).

Hoping it's just a one-off glitch...
Snowman1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowman-1/
--------------------------------------

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 12 Nov 15 2:38

snowman1 wrote:@Tom, hard to tell if that's related or not TBH. Shame you couldn't solve the root cause issue - weird that PN touches other files in the folder. But maybe it does no significant update on them, so you wouldn't really need to resync? You could try taking an md5 checksum before and after to check (there are various handy utilities); worst case probably just writing "photoninja" to exif somewhere?
The issues between PSU and PN are maddening to me but I've given up trying to figure out why they happen. I just did a test to see if I could reproduce what happens so that I could give you specifics. I have folder that has 180 image files in it plus accompanying xmp files. Some are nef files and some are jpegs rendered from the nef files in PN. I verified the folder in PSU to make sure everything was in sync and then I closed PSU and opened PN. I browsed to that fold in PN and scroll through all of the thumbnails without opening any of the them for editing and then I closed PN. I went back to PSU and verified the folder and PSU reports that 20 of the files have changed. I can verify this in Windows File Explorer by looking at the xmp files modified dates. They were modified just now. What's worse is that after processing the files in PSU I then have to go through all of the thumbnails and look for ones that have data missing from the custom thumb info under the thumbnails. That usually only happens with the jpegs. For those files I have to convert metadata to XMP in order to restore that data. It's a vicious circle, every time I browse a folder in PN I have to go back to PSU and do this processing even if I don't change anything in PN.

This is why I try to do all of my processing before I import into PSU. If I'm lucky, I don't need to process any more of the files after that but quite often I see one or two files that I want to do some more processing on so I end up opening it in PN again and go through this whole cycle. I can configure PN not to open in browser mode and this avoids the issue but then I can only work on one file at a time. PN doesn't have an active forum like this so it's not so easy to get answers from them. I can email support but I don't always get answers from them. It's a shame because I'm completely hooked on the raw processing I can do with PN. I've tried several other raw processing programs and can't come close to achieving the same results in the same amount of time.
Tom Stoddard

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 12 Nov 15 2:53

Sorry for going so off-topic with my last post. These issues with PN may or may not be related to the issues I have with PSU during import but it doesn't seem to happen if I import just my raw files into PSU before processing them. It could be something to do with PN or it could be that it only happens when I'm importing jpegs along with raw files. Since I shoot just to raw and the only time I import jpegs is when I've rendered some in PN before importing it's hard for me to test. I guess I could try rendering a bunch of fresh raw files in another program first and try importing them. Maybe I'll do that when I get a chance.
Tom Stoddard

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 12 Nov 15 3:14

tstoddard wrote:issues I have with PSU during import but it doesn't seem to happen if I import just my raw files into PSU before processing them.
Just in case my experiences and information helps you narrow down the cause of your problem, I import only raw files and I import them only when nothing other than the camera has touched them.