What to Store on SSD Drive

Link648099

What to Store on SSD Drive

Post by Link648099 » 29 Apr 15 3:22

Hello,

I'm running an older 2008 iMac that I want to spruce up a bit with some upgrades. I'm planning on swapping out the DVD drive with an SSD, and upgrading my 1 TB 7200 RPM drive to a 4 TB 7200 RPM drive.

When looking at the SSD, I thought about getting one big enough to hold my 30K photos (215 GB), Catalog database (400 MB), and thumbnail database (8 GB). But if I don't need to store my photos on the SSD, that would save me a $100 or so or an SSD.

Would I notice any significant speed improvement by having the photos on the SSD, or is it really just worth it to put the two databases on it and keep the photos on the hard drive?

Thanks!

Preston B

Re: What to Store on SSD Drive

Post by Preston B » 29 Apr 15 3:36

You will gain the most benefit by using an SSD as your primary (OS) drive. I would recommend an SSD size of about 240-256 GB. This will give you plenty of space for your OS, programs, the PSu databases, and your 'working' files. Your images would be stored on an internal 2-4TB 7200 HDD, or alternatively a USB external HDD.

It is best to have the SSD only about 75% full. This allows for TRIM operations and so forth. If the SSD has less that 25% capacity remaining, read/write performance will suffer.

It will take some work to switch things over, but you'll appreciate the performance boost for your OS and programs. I did this on my PC some time ago, and I am glad I did!

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com

Link648099

Post by Link648099 » 29 Apr 15 3:41

Thanks Preston,

That's what I plan on doing. Using the SSD for the OS, applications, and a few others things that would benefit from it. A 256GB SSD would provide more then enough space for those items, well under 75%. The majority of the space used on my hard drive are pictures, music, and movies. So I'm not too concerned with speed on those things.

So placing the databases on the SSD would be be the best course to take?

Preston B

Post by Preston B » 29 Apr 15 14:22

Sounds good. Just be sure everything is backed up somewhere--just in case.
So placing the databases on the SSD would be the best course to take?
Yes.

Also, be sure to backup and compact your PSu Catalog and Thumbnail databases before you make the switch.

--P
Preston Birdwell
Columbia, CA

Photo Supreme on Puget Systems Obsidian: Win 10-64 bit Intel i5Quad Core 3.3Ghz 32GB RAM, and Puget Systems Traverse Laptop. Chamonix 4x5 and Nikon D-7100.

Please visit my web site at www.gildedmoon.com