Out of Memory during import

LucLL

Out of Memory during import

Post by LucLL » 20 Feb 15 19:10

Hi All,

Apologies, pretty new to PS, just installed the trial Client/Server version a few days and played around a bit.
After successfully importing some very small Aperture libs ( <300 pictures), I tried a little bigger one of about 40K pictures (referenced to a NAS)
After a while I get the info box telling me 38K pictures imported, Keywords etc, and then when clicking ok I get "Out of Memory (0)"

Anyone any suggestion? hard to believe that the size of the library to be imported From Aperture would be limited by the memory size of the laptop, or?
At the end I would like to import +100K pictures .. :?

Thanks for the help,

Regards,
Luc

david mantripp

Re: Out of Memory during import

Post by david mantripp » 15 Mar 15 13:19

Just saw the same thing myself. Having just decided to license PhotoSupreme and commit 100% to it.... Not good :-(

HCS

Post by HCS » 15 Mar 15 14:42

LucLL wrote:... Anyone any suggestion? hard to believe that the size of the library to be imported From Aperture would be limited by the memory size of the laptop, or?
At the end I would like to import +100K pictures .. :? ...
Could you try to import in smaller batches? This is not about the number of pictures in your library, but about the number of images in the import queue. That does indeed depend on the workstation memory.

david mantripp

Post by david mantripp » 15 Mar 15 16:59

HCS wrote:Could you try to import in smaller batches? This is not about the number of pictures in your library, but about the number of images in the import queue. That does indeed depend on the workstation memory.
Well, you can, and that does seem to work, but if I'm going to that I might just as well import directly from folders, as I will lose all of the organisation structure (e.g Projects, Albums) in Aperture.

Actually, there's a worse issue: when working with referenced files, PS reads only the path. Not the volume. So if my files are stored in EXTERNALBIGDISK/myPhotos/, PS will retain only /myPhotos, and not be able to find the files, Sure, you can re-point it ar EXTERNALBIGDISK at Folder level. But the imported catalog structure is all empty.

Fabulous.... that's another wasted Sunday :-(

HCS

Post by HCS » 15 Mar 15 20:13

That's a pity.

I did the import from MediaPro with about 90K records, went without a hitch. But only after i had contact with the developers.

I suggest you do the same, if all else doesn't work and no other user knows a workaround. You could hope for one of the developers to join this post, or log a ticket in the bug tracking system, Mantis. Link: http://mantis.idimager.com/login_page.php

LucLL

Post by LucLL » 16 Mar 15 19:52

Hi All,

Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback. I was not able to resolve the issue, but worked around it. It seems that each time I select a folder/category which has more than ~12K/~13K items, - like the Out of Sync category initially, I got an out of memory.

I could finally get all the items synced by working with subfolders via the folder tree structure instead of categories. So now all are fine. Probably because of all the issues in trying to get my entire library into PS, in steps and with some interruptions (not because PS) into the tool, I had also missing thumbs. Its currently working fine to recover this in a single go but its already running for about 24 to generate the missing thumbs... but it looks fine as Im just a few % from the end :)

So again, thanks for all the suggestions, appreciated! If I still get too much issue because of too big folders I may consider making it a case.

Regards,
Luc