Printing using template

Larry56

Printing using template

Post by Larry56 » 02 Feb 15 5:47

I'm trying to print using the 2 column, 3 rows template. It shows fine in the preview but when it prints the images are re-sized so they are printed on top of each other.

Am I missing something in the setup to print or is this a bug?

Hert

Re: Printing using template

Post by Hert » 02 Feb 15 21:31

I don't think there's a bug here. Maybe play with your printer settings a little.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 03 Feb 15 0:47

Looks to me like a bug - at first glance it appears to be 'overlapping', but actually the printed images are not shrinking sufficiently to all fit on the page when printing - so some of the images are spilling over. I've tested this '2 column, 3 rows' on 4 pdf printers (though they may all use ghostscript) and on my physical printer, and get the same result for all, irrespective of paper size chosen.

If I change the 'scaling' setting in the pdf printer 'advanced' menu to 50%, then it prints correctly. That implies that PSU is handing over the data to the printer driver at twice the size that it should be.

Mke

Post by Mke » 03 Feb 15 2:03

Further to above reply, I've also tested all the other print modes. Results below:

Working OK:
  • 3x2in (8)
    Panorama 6x2in (4)
Preview OK, but need to change scaling to 50% to print OK:
  • Full page
    Full page borderless
    Index sheet (all 5 types)
Preview and print incorrect. Need to change from portrait to landscape (scaling at 100%). The 1st 4 of these printed OK on the 2nd attempt; the others on the 1st attempt. This works despite this making the images appear scaled too small in preview:
  • 5x3.75 freestyle
    5x3.75
    6x4in (1) - 3x2 (6)
    6x4in (3) borderless
    7x5in (1) - 2.5x3.5in (4)
    7x5in (2)
    contact sheet (20)
    panorama 10x3.75in (2)
These all tested on a PC, not a Mac.

Ticket #2780 opened on Mantis.

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 15 8:52

Still not a bug. Only the index sheets are designed to work with any paper format (full page is also a index page, but 1x1).
All the other templates are "fixed templates" that print at fixed positions on the paper. Use different paper layouts and the design will be messed up. And that is what you see.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mke

Post by Mke » 03 Feb 15 13:32

IDimager wrote:Still not a bug. Only the index sheets are designed to work with any paper format (full page is also a index page, but 1x1).
All the other templates are "fixed templates" that print at fixed positions on the paper. Use different paper layouts and the design will be messed up. And that is what you see.
Perhaps we're not seeing the same thing? I've attached some examples showing how the preview looks, and how the page actually prints. All these were taken without modifying the printer driver print settings in any way (i.e. page not rotated, and with default 100% image scaling). I'm not sure why the preview on the 2nd image turned the images around 90 degrees in the preview and scaled them in the print - it wasn't anything I did!
1st - 5x3.75in (4) Free Style.png
1st - 5x3.75in (4) Free Style.png (196.68 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
2nd - 5x3.75in (4) Free Style.png
2nd - 5x3.75in (4) Free Style.png (206.74 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
3rd - Index Sheet; 2 Columns and 3 Rows.png
3rd - Index Sheet; 2 Columns and 3 Rows.png (180.73 KiB) Viewed 3794 times
Presumably this isn't expected behaviour?

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 03 Feb 15 14:24

IDimager wrote:Still not a bug. Only the index sheets are designed to work with any paper format (full page is also a index page, but 1x1).
Even if it is not a "bug" it is, from the users perspective, defective. :wink:

I don't understand what you mean by "paper format" and "paper layout". What do I have to do to make the fixed-size print designs work as intended on a sheet of A4 paper, and the preview to accurately match what will be printed? I have tried playing with settings several times, and always failed.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 15 15:55

I'm only interested in the Index Sheet printing. All the other templates are an inheritance from IDimager V5. I'll remove these silly and unusable templates from the deployment set.

When you get odd results with the index printing options then feel free to report those in Mantis. Also, make sure that you test with a *real* printer and not some PDF printer.

Hert

Post by Hert » 03 Feb 15 17:25

There was indeed a bug for index printing that could cause the image to overflow the paper. This is fixed for the next update. As a workaround: make sure to configure your printer to use a resolution of 400 or less.
A big mea culpa to Mike for not noticing this bug before (my printer driver was standard at 300dpi)

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 04 Feb 15 21:19

Thanks to everyone's work to confirm the issue.

And thank you Hert for the fix/update.

Larry56

Post by Larry56 » 06 Feb 15 0:51

Hert,

As an aside, I use PS as my primary DAM and occasionally need to print basic photos for others. Nothing fancy, just standard default templates. The templates in PS are fine for my purposes so I hope you will continue to support at least those basics.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 08 Feb 15 16:18

Larry56 wrote:Hert,

As an aside, I use PS as my primary DAM and occasionally need to print basic photos for others. Nothing fancy, just standard default templates. The templates in PS are fine for my purposes so I hope you will continue to support at least those basics.
Well said, I fully agree