Face (and object?) labelling thoughts

Mke

Face (and object?) labelling thoughts

Post by Mke » 28 Jan 15 14:47

I've been cataloging some old people photos recently, so have been making use of the face detection / labelling features - and I must say that I'm finding it very useful.

A couple of enhancements have already been discussed here - providing the facility to output photos with the name labels visible (http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23655 & Mantis 2754), and enabling face areas to be intelligently transmitted to other versions in the version set (http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=23589 - not made it to Mantis yet).

From my experience over the past couple of weeks, I'm finding that when labelling people in where there are 4 or 5 rows of people, it gets tricky. If I just label the faces, then the 'name tags' obscure other faces in the image. And if I vertically enlarge the detection box so that I can place the label lower in the photo, it then can be a difficult to work out which label goes with which face. I'm thinking that it would be useful to have a visible leader line (http://www.cadalyst.com/files/cadalyst/ ... 8-fig1.gif) so that the label can be dragged away from the detection box. Anyone else having this problem yet?

Indirectly related to this, while the face detection box is currently linked only to 'people', it occurred to me that it would be useful to be able to tag other things too - in my case, that would be particular buildings in cityscapes, and towns or geographical features in aerial photographs. I see that when labelling faces one of the XMP fields involved is 'RegionType', into which the word 'face' is written. That suggests that the XMP standard has made provision for labelling other objects (though I can't actually find the XMP standard relating to this). I'm wondering if this idea appeals to anyone else?

Hondor

Re: Face (and object?) labelling thoughts

Post by Hondor » 28 Jan 15 21:12

Mke wrote:Indirectly related to this, while the face detection box is currently linked only to 'people', it occurred to me that it would be useful to be able to tag other things too - in my case, that would be particular buildings in cityscapes, and towns or geographical features in aerial photographs. I see that when labelling faces one of the XMP fields involved is 'RegionType', into which the word 'face' is written. That suggests that the XMP standard has made provision for labelling other objects (though I can't actually find the XMP standard relating to this). I'm wondering if this idea appeals to anyone else?
...oh, yes. Definitely does :D
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » 07 Feb 15 10:08

Mke wrote:Indirectly related to this, while the face detection box is currently linked only to 'people', it occurred to me that it would be useful to be able to tag other things too - in my case, that would be particular buildings in cityscapes, and towns or geographical features in aerial photographs. I see that when labelling faces one of the XMP fields involved is 'RegionType', into which the word 'face' is written. That suggests that the XMP standard has made provision for labelling other objects (though I can't actually find the XMP standard relating to this).
Sorry for the late reply (it's been a couple of months since I was last here), but you'll find the spec here: http://www.metadataworkinggroup.com/specs/

Unfortunately, the spec as it stands is fairly restricted; it just lists four Types (as a closed list):
• Face
• Pet
• Focus
• BarCode
Geoff Coupe
--------------
Photo Supreme /Windows 10 Pro 64 bits + Windows Home Server 2011 = DAM

Mke

Post by Mke » 09 Feb 15 16:29

Thanks for your replies. Good to know that it's not just me that likes the idea, but in view of the very limited (and strange) items in the spec it looks like it'll be some time...