Automatic versioning does not work for me

Genagen

Automatic versioning does not work for me

Post by Genagen » 05 Jan 15 18:26

Hi!

I am trying to work out automatic versioning as it worked for me already in IDImager v5.

I set up rules in preference dialog in a logic presented on screenshot.
placeholder2.png
placeholder2.png (105.76 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
But it does not work as I expect. For example:
d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.CR2 is a file I imported to PSU
d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006_DxO_www.jpg is a file I created outside the PSU for web presentation. I want to assign this file as a version using rule for www placeholder with wildmark *_DxO_www.jpg

But it does not work. Instead automatic versioning assingns d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.xmp as unknown version (no idea why - there is no such a wildmark to attach this version. this file is not even image!)

Thanx for any help. I have spent several hours plyaing with that and it does not work at all. In IDI it worked well... Upgrade to PSU was my the worst photographic decision ever...

vlad

Re: Automatic versioning does not work for me

Post by vlad » 05 Jan 15 19:49

Genagen wrote: d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006_DxO_www.jpg is a file I created outside the PSU for web presentation
And how did you import it inside PSU?
But it does not work. Instead automatic versioning assingns d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.xmp as unknown version (no idea why - there is no such a wildmark to attach this version. this file is not even image!)
I find that very strange. How did you determine that 'd_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.xmp' is assigned as a version? Does it appear in the version tab for 'd_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.CR2'? If so, does its thumb show anything?
Thanx for any help. I have spent several hours plyaing with that and it does not work at all. In IDI it worked well... Upgrade to PSU was my the worst photographic decision ever...
Well, I hope you'll be able to sort out the versioning issues and then reconsider your judgment (rather than the upgrade decision).

Genagen

Post by Genagen » 05 Jan 15 20:51

vlad wrote:
Genagen wrote: d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006_DxO_www.jpg is a file I created outside the PSU for web presentation
And how did you import it inside PSU?
I did not. I want from PSU to recognize it as version using strict naming policy as it was in IDI. I dont want to make versions by hand - it is hundreds files in every single project...
vlad wrote:
Genagen wrote: But it does not work. Instead automatic versioning assingns d_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.xmp as unknown version (no idea why - there is no such a wildmark to attach this version. this file is not even image!)
I find that very strange. How did you determine that 'd_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.xmp' is assigned as a version? Does it appear in the version tab for 'd_jets_over_czech_2014_0006.CR2'? If so, does its thumb show anything?
Yes it appears as new version placeholder tab without picture.
placeholder3.png
placeholder3.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 4222 times
vlad wrote:Well, I hope you'll be able to sort out the versioning issues and then reconsider your judgment (rather than the upgrade decision).
Well it is not first problem I am experiencing after upgrade from IDI to PSU :-(

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 05 Jan 15 22:20

If you don't get version detection to work to your satisfaction, you can create the files intended for web presentation within PSU in a batch process. Use the Batch panel to automatically resize, rename, sharpen, change the file format and version the new file. I do that for my files intended for web presentation and it works like a charm.
Last edited by Mike Buckley on 05 Jan 15 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

Genagen

Post by Genagen » 05 Jan 15 22:25

Mike Buckley wrote:
If you don't get version detection to work to your satisfaction, you can create the files intended for web presentation within PSU in an automated batch process. Use the Batcher to resize, rename, sharpen and version the new file. (I do that for my files intended for web presentation.) It works like a charm.
In my workflow I use like 7 version placeholders - there is no way live without them. Some of them are comming out my raw renderer (DxO) some from my other utilities.

My problem is not that version detection does not to my satisfaction. It does not work at all. So I try to ask for help if someone spotted something I do miss.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 05 Jan 15 22:50

Genagen wrote:In my workflow I use like 7 version placeholders - there is no way live without them.
You don't have to live without them. You can assign the placeholders in a batch process. To do that, select all of the pertinent sub-versions, hover your pointer over the pertinent version tab and select the pertinent placeholder.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 05 Jan 15 23:46

Genagen wrote:
vlad wrote: And how did you import it inside PSU?
I did not. I want from PSU to recognize it as version using strict naming policy as it was in IDI. I dont want to make versions by hand - it is hundreds files in every single project...
Of course you don't want to make versions by hand, but you must understand that PSU searches for versions by examining file names that are known to the catalog database. Files that are only on disk must first be imported. Verify Folder is a good way to find and import "new" files.
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

vlad

Post by vlad » 06 Jan 15 10:07

Hi Genagen, I don't use custom file masks but I now remember other forum users also complaining about problems with them. Jim has a very good point, but I'm thinking that PSU should never detect an XMP file as a version. I would suggest submitting one or more tickets in Mantis - that's where the technical issues get reported, tracked and (hopefully) fixed.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 06 Jan 15 11:10

vlad wrote:Hi Genagen, I don't use custom file masks but I now remember other forum users also complaining about problems with them. Jim has a very good point, but I'm thinking that PSU should never detect an XMP file as a version. I would suggest submitting one or more tickets in Mantis - that's where the technical issues get reported, tracked and (hopefully) fixed.
This could be "user error". I wonder whether XMP is listed in Preferences|File Handling|File Extensions on Genagen's system. If so then xmp files created by PSU (eg by saving metadata) would be added to the catalog as image files and would match the default Versioning Mask (%filename*.*).
Jim (Photo Supreme: AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor 3.2 GHz; internal AMD Radeon™ HD7560D; 4GB DDR3 SDRAM; Win10x64)

vlad

Post by vlad » 06 Jan 15 11:49

Jim, I guess that could indeed happen (and it may be worth for Genagen to check). But could you think of any valid use case for adding .XMP to the file extensions? Is this extension correctly handled even when versioning is not used at all?

I haven't tried it, but I can imagine countless headaches in such a scenario. I'm almost thinking that PSU should add a special check or warning to specifically forbid or (strongly) discourage the addition of .XMP as a custom extension.

jstartin

Post by jstartin » 06 Jan 15 11:59

vlad wrote:Jim, I guess that could indeed happen (and it may be worth for Genagen to check). But could you think of any valid use case for adding .XMP to the file extensions? Is this extension correctly handled even when versioning is not used at all?

I haven't tried it, but I can imagine countless headaches in such a scenario. I'm almost thinking that PSU should add a special check or warning to specifically forbid or (strongly) discourage the addition of .XMP as a custom extension.
As far as I know XMP files are automatically and transparently handled in a way appropriate to sidecar files. I have never had a problem, anyway. I can think of no valid reason to add XMP to the list of file extensions, but it is possible to do so.

Genagen

Post by Genagen » 06 Jan 15 14:23

jstartin wrote:Of course you don't want to make versions by hand, but you must understand that PSU searches for versions by examining file names that are known to the catalog database. Files that are only on disk must first be imported. Verify Folder is a good way to find and import "new" files.
Thanx for point this. I try to. I did not import them because in IDI it worked in a way I presented. Master raw file is in catalog and versions are automatically detected from disk - there was no need to import them to uncatalogued first.

Genagen

Post by Genagen » 06 Jan 15 14:24

Mike Buckley wrote:You don't have to live without them. You can assign the placeholders in a batch process. To do that, select all of the pertinent sub-versions, hover your pointer over the pertinent version tab and select the pertinent placeholder.
Can you be please more specific? I dont follow this advice. Thanx in advance.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 06 Jan 15 21:39

Genagen wrote:
Mike Buckley wrote:You don't have to live without them. You can assign the placeholders in a batch process. To do that, select all of the pertinent sub-versions, hover your pointer over the pertinent version tab and select the pertinent placeholder.
Can you be please more specific? I dont follow this advice. Thanx in advance.
Once the files are versioned, hover over each of the version tabs. You'll see various menu items. The menu items displayed on the Main Version tab are different than the menu items displayed on the Sub-version tabs. More specific to your question, hovering over a Sub-version tab displays the placeholders. Hovering over a placeholder displays the name of the placeholder. Clicking a placeholder automatically assigns that placeholder to the selected thumbnail(s).

fbungarz

Post by fbungarz » 01 Jun 15 15:30

I experience the same completely inconsistent behavior when using versioning in PSU, see http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=45

I have filed a bug report in Mantis: http://bugs.idimager.com/view.php?id=2864