Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post Reply
fsalveson
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Jun 11 20:26

Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by fsalveson » 21 Dec 14 18:08

I've found the "similar images" category under "By Catalog State" to be very helpful in finding my duplicates. It has also been very helpful in finding the Jpeg conversions of my photos that were scanned to Tiffs and converted to Jpegs, but that had not yet been versioned. However, upon versioning them (making the Jpeg a version of the scanned Tiffs), I expected the two versions to not reappear as similar images. I've found that those photos that were versioned in the above fashion before I installed PS version 3 do not appear as "similar images", but once they have appeared as similar images and are versioned there, they do not disappear, i.e. they are always reappearing as "similar images". I'm wondering how I might get those "similar images" that are now versioned to not reappear as "similar images". To have to look at the same photos in that category repeatedly becomes less and less efficient as the category continues to grow as I continue to version many of the images that show up there.
Thanks,
Franklin

Hert
Posts: 15932
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 14 12:23

Similar Images shows similar images. Not perse for versioning them. Even when you've versioned them, they are still similar images.

Maybe some sort of filtering to show only non-versioned images is what you're looking for?
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley
Posts: 3965
Joined: 10 Jul 08 14:18

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Mike Buckley » 22 Dec 14 13:44

IDimager wrote:Even when you've versioned them, they are still similar images.
I have about 15,000 images and I'm confident that at least 95% of them have at least one sub version. Yet the number of Similar Images is less than 800. I don't care about that because I don't have a need for this capability, but it might interest you or others to know about this situation.

Hert
Posts: 15932
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 14 17:01

Similar images shows all images that are visually identical. A cropped image is not visually identical. A b/w conversion is still visually the same image, a downsized copy is still visually the same image.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard
Posts: 584
Joined: 07 Sep 12 12:51

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by tstoddard » 22 Dec 14 17:21

I'm curious about how similar images are determined. Would a jpeg converted from a raw (NEF, for example) be detected as a similar image to the raw image if it was not cropped differently? The file size would be much different but the visual appearance would certainly be similar. I'm not at my home computer right now so I can't test this.
Tom Stoddard

Hert
Posts: 15932
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 14 17:35

tstoddard wrote:but the visual appearance would certainly be similar
As mentioned in my previous reply: a cropped version is not visually identical.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley
Posts: 3965
Joined: 10 Jul 08 14:18

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Mike Buckley » 22 Dec 14 17:36

IDimager wrote:Similar images shows all images that are visually identical.
That's not at all the case on my system.
A cropped image is not visually identical.
This does not explain why most of my identical images are not being reported as identical. My sub-versions are not cropped versions of my Main versions. The difference between my Main version and its sub version is always file format and/or image size as measured in pixels.

Hert
Posts: 15932
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 14 17:39

The similarity signature is calculated when the thumb is built.
You mentioned that you don't use the similar images state, but if you still want to go though the effort then rebuild all your thumbnails.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard
Posts: 584
Joined: 07 Sep 12 12:51

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by tstoddard » 22 Dec 14 18:03

IDimager wrote:
tstoddard wrote:tstoddard wrote:but the visual appearance would certainly be similar
As mentioned in my previous reply: a cropped version is not visually identical.
Hert, my question was:
tstoddard wrote:Would a jpeg converted from a raw (NEF, for example) be detected as a similar image to the raw image if it was not cropped differently? The file size would be much different but the visual appearance would certainly be similar.
Based on your other comments, I'm assuming the answer is "yes".
Tom Stoddard

Hert
Posts: 15932
Joined: 13 Sep 03 7:24

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Hert » 22 Dec 14 19:26

I must have overlooked the "not" part. If the image is visually the same (not cropped or other wise retouched by adding or removing elements etc) then they I would expect them to be detected as similar.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Mike Buckley
Posts: 3965
Joined: 10 Jul 08 14:18

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Dec 14 0:10

IDimager wrote:rebuild all your thumbnails.
I rebuilt some folders, rather than all of them, containing nearly 1800 thumbnails. None of them are being reported as "Similar." I know because my count of "Similar" photos has remained unchanged even after exiting and restarting Supreme. Again, though I don't use the capability I hope this information is helpful to you and others.

fsalveson
Posts: 27
Joined: 19 Jun 11 20:26

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by fsalveson » 23 Dec 14 17:42

I have over 3,500 tiffs that were converted to jpegs using PS then were versioned as subversions of the original tiffs. Those that were subversioned before PS 3 are not being reported as "Similar". However, any photos that are versioned now, using PS 3, are being reported as similar, both before and after the versioning. I can't verify that the above statement is 100% accurate, but it appears that only the converted jpegs that were not previously sub-versioned are the ones that continue to show up as being "Similar". Only about a hundred of the 3,500 converted jpegs that had "escaped" being versioned continue to show up as being "Similar" after being versioned with PS 3.

Mike Buckley
Posts: 3965
Joined: 10 Jul 08 14:18

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by Mike Buckley » 23 Dec 14 20:36

fsalveson wrote:Those that were subversioned before PS 3 are not being reported as "Similar". However, any photos that are versioned now, using PS 3, are being reported as similar
That doesn't explain what is and isn't happening on my system. Versions created using IDimager, Supreme V2 and Supreme V3 are not being reported as similar on my system.

FMi
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Dec 14 9:10

Re: Similar Images Reappear after versioning

Post by FMi » 31 Dec 14 13:13

fsalveson wrote:I've found the "similar images" category under "By Catalog State" to be very helpful in finding my duplicates. It has also been very helpful in finding the Jpeg conversions of my photos that were scanned to Tiffs and converted to Jpegs, but that had not yet been versioned. However, upon versioning them (making the Jpeg a version of the scanned Tiffs), I expected the two versions to not reappear as similar images. I've found that those photos that were versioned in the above fashion before I installed PS version 3 do not appear as "similar images", but once they have appeared as similar images and are versioned there, they do not disappear, i.e. they are always reappearing as "similar images". I'm wondering how I might get those "similar images" that are now versioned to not reappear as "similar images". To have to look at the same photos in that category repeatedly becomes less and less efficient as the category continues to grow as I continue to version many of the images that show up there.
I had the same issue when I started out with PSU. My solution was to build a custom dynamic search combining "similar images" with "not in version sets" and save that search. The drawback is that once you have versioned a file it will not appear in similar images even if there is a third variation of it as an invividual unversioned copy.
frank

Post Reply