Write Portfolio info to images

Mike Buckley

Re: Write Portfolio info to images

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Dec 14 14:39

vlad wrote:I've just noticed that Hert has already fixed the bug
So, once the new build is made available to us, we should select all of our Portfolio images and save the metadata to the file. Am I correct that we should also disable the Preferences setting that only updates out-of-sync images?

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 19 Dec 14 14:52

Mike Buckley wrote:Am I correct that we should also disable the Preferences setting that only updates out-of-sync images?
No, that's not necessary if you're using 'Save metadata to file' (<control-s>).

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 19 Dec 14 14:57

Thanks, Dirk!

vlad

Post by vlad » 20 Dec 14 13:11

Mike Buckley wrote:
vlad wrote:I've just noticed that Hert has already fixed the bug
So, once the new build is made available to us, we should select all of our Portfolio images and save the metadata to the file. Am I correct that we should also disable the Preferences setting that only updates out-of-sync images?
First, I have a couple of questions (mostly for Hert, I believe):

> When the image metadata is (re)write-synced, is the existing ICS metadata incrementally updated or is it completely rewritten from scratch?
> Does that depend on the keyword processing settings (replace vs. merge)?
> If the ICS data may be incrementally updated, is there any way to completely clear it and ensure that it is subsequently written from scratch? (Note: disabling the ICS writing and then re-saving the metadata does *not* clear the ICS data.)

Then, I would note that re-saving the metadata for all cataloged files (or all files in portfolios) should indeed update or rewrite their ICS data, but it may also have unintended side effects if the current catalog state does not exactly match the current metadata state in some images. (I guess this should be a concern only for older in-sync files, which had been cataloged and synced before some catalog changes. My point is that the changes to global settings - and even some changes to label settings - do not trigger the OOS state, so some settings might be intentionally applied only moving forward. But they *are* going to be applied to previously cataloged files once those are manually re-synced!)

Finally, here is a quick tip regarding the private labels (as a follow up to the previous discussion) :

While the image metadata (including the ICS data) does not contain any info about private labels (*), one could regularly invoke Data -> Export to Formatted Vocabulary File. This produces a text file with the hierarchical label structure, including all the private labels. (Sweet!) Since the file is small and very easy to read, one could always ensure it's not corrupted (by quickly looking over it) and then back it up (offline and online), perhaps seperately from the database.

Disclaimer:

I haven't tried and I have no idea what happens if one recreates the catalog label structure by importing the label text file into an empty catalog, and then imports all the existing images (with or without the reading of ICS enabled). Will that succesfully merge all the metadata keywords/ICS-labels into the catalog label hierarchy (which may contain additional nodes, namely the private labels)? I would expect so (in theory), but some previous posts and my own findings on label merging make me only cautiously optimistic. Bottom line, if one is very concerned about how reliable is the ICS failback, I would say that private labels are best avoided.

(Nevertheless, I would consider the above merging scenario a good - although far from comprehensive - test for the robustness of label merging algorithms. With some clever scripting, perhaps it could be even implemented as part of automatic testing.)

(*) CORRECTION: "should not contain". I've just checked (build 2060): private labels still appear inside both hierarchical keywords and ICS data. (Reported in ticket #2132.)

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Dec 14 14:35

The ICS is always completly rewritten.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 20 Dec 14 15:22

Thanks Hert, that's great!

(Based on my own experience, I am somewhat wary of incremental changes to sensitive data in many files, especially when the existing data is subject to a proprietary encoding, which might have also been affected by a bug. I am now completely relieved about the ICS rewrite, though.)

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Dec 14 16:20

Incremental updates are no option for small data sets. It's slower to determine what to add/update/delete than to write everything
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 20 Dec 14 17:12

Hert, you are absolutely right. (Also, complete rewrites are more reliable.) But, in general, I guess you can't avoid some incremental updates, can you? (For example, if I specify a detail profile in a label, that may trigger incremental updates to metadata, right?)

stevehughes

Post by stevehughes » 09 Jan 15 1:20

Did I miss the release of this fix ? The current build is .2060 which I'm pretty sure was the version I was using when I started this thread. I wonder if Hert could give an idea of when this fix will be released ?

Thanks,
Steve

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 09 Jan 15 22:02

stevehughes wrote:Did I miss the release of this fix ? The current build is .2060 which I'm pretty sure was the version I was using when I started this thread. I wonder if Hert could give an idea of when this fix will be released ?
See http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=1374 for latest improvements and fixes.
The bug report is marked as 'resolved' (see http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2739), so if it's not in the current version it will be in the next update.

Gr.
Dirk.
Problems searching the forum? Try Google Site Search by adding 'site:forum.idimager.com' to a standard Google search.

DirkS

Post by DirkS » 10 Jan 15 22:20

In case you had not noticed yet: r2061 has been released (http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=1374)