Labels to keep track of Birthdaycards

HaraldE

Labels to keep track of Birthdaycards

Post by HaraldE » 16 Dec 14 15:22

Morning,

I want to learn a bit more about labels in PSU and believe the best way is to try it out. So I have a situation that may be solved by labels but I am not sure if that is true and also not sure how to do it.

Many years ago I realised I needed to keep track of which photos I handed out as BirthdayCards to people. There are around 20 close people I treat this way. When their birthday is due I pick a photo from my archive where that person is shown. I take this photo, run it through a PSU batch to shrink and rename and add a small watermark in bottom right corner. I have no problem with this batch and my question is not related to it.

When I have eMailed the photo with proper greetings I now want to mark the photo so I know it has been used. This is obvious since if I do not want to reuse that same photo again, a later year. And this started many years ago. Since I just didn't know how to keep track of these cards I decided to use an existing meta field. I could not find any which was proper for the usage so I picked one that I believed would stay and that I wouldn't need for its original purpose. I choose the field called "Description Writer" and is shown in the Details panel. And it works. Some days ago did I send off 2 birthday cards and could check in DW that chosen photos hadn't been used already.

The text I place in DW is simple and has the following structure "PersonName Year Reason", for example "Peter 2014 Birthdaycard". Sometimes I hand out a photo for other reasons than a birthday, for examples there could be some Christmascards as well.

Now my two questions:
1: Is there an easier way to keep track of these birthday cards by using labels in PSU?
2: If there is, how to transfer the current values in DW over to the new solution based on labels?

Remember, I am not unhappy with my current way of working but if labels can do this better then I am interested since I believe I will learn from it.

Regards, Harald

HCS

Re: Labels to keep track of Birthdaycards

Post by HCS » 16 Dec 14 22:00

For keeping track i simply created an output category, specifying inside to which/what/whom i output the image.

For example "Output - Web - Zenfolio", or "Output - Email - [emailaddress]".

Could this work for you?

Hert

Post by Hert » 16 Dec 14 22:57

Or create a custom field and name it Birthday Card Year
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 16 Dec 14 23:47

Harald,

I was just ready to suggest that you might want to use custom input fields but Hert beat me to it. Perhaps, if you want to have more information available, you could create a few custom fields like Card Occasion, Card Recipient, Card Year, Date Card Sent. You might also want to have just one label, "Card" for example, that you could assign so that you could easily exclude all images that you have used in the past for any reason.

I'm sure you could complicate this quite a bit if you wanted to get really specific about why, when, and to whom you sent cards in the past and whether or not you want to use the same image more than once. The level of detail and exclusivity you desire will certainly influence the way that you'll want to accomplish it.
Tom Stoddard

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 17 Dec 14 1:13

Personally, I would use catalog labels. If it was important that they not be viewed by others reading the metadata embedded in the image files, I would use private catalog labels. In fact, I should probably go back through my Christmas cards made of my photos and assign catalog labels to them.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 17 Dec 14 9:48

Thanks to all,

Let me add that the PSU batch I use will create a copy and this copy is what I send off. So the text I add to DW is in the original and not in the handed out copy. I have no need to hide anything.

My intention was twofold ... to find a simpler solution and also to use Labels. And I am mainly keen to know IF a card has been used previously. The text I add (like "Peter 2014 Birthdaycard") is there so I can read it if I want to know the WHEN and WHO and WHY but they are not as important as the IF. So today I mainly check the DW to see IF it is empty or not. If not empty then the photo is probably not a candicate.

I still do not understand how a catalog label could improve my way of working. The suggested Custom Field is more interesting. I believe this is simpler since I then would stop using DW for something it isn't made for. Now let me ask a few questions related to Custom Field:

> Are these created in Info Panel and only maintained there?
> The DW is very handy since I see it in Details panel, in the Description tab. How do I display a Custom Field in the Description tab?
> Where in the image's metadata is a Custom Field stored?
> If I move my photo to another tool (like Photoshop), will this Custom Field be available there or is it only available in PSU?

Regards, Harald

Hert

Post by Hert » 17 Dec 14 11:33

Custom fields are created in the Info Panel but once created, they are also available in the Details panel.

Custom fields are written to XMP in the ICD schema

The custom field should be available in any tool that supports XMP. I'm not a frequent Photoshop user, but I believe you should be able to find XMP in the Info Panel there and it will also show the custom info written by PSU.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

vlad

Post by vlad » 17 Dec 14 12:02

Hi Harald,
I concur with using a custom field instead of DW. Once created, custom fields are also available in Catalog->By Image Details. You could add custom fields to favorites or to dynamic searches, and you could also search for (partial) custom field text using the search bar or the new text filter (introduced in build 2060, I think).

freudenthaler

Post by freudenthaler » 17 Dec 14 12:44

HaraldE wrote: And I am mainly keen to know IF a card has been used previously. Regards, Harald
Then I personally would go for a simple catalog label. It's just "a tag" (although a very powerful one ;-), it's easy to search & filter for, the catalog view offers directly access to all the labels and you instantly see how many birthday cards you already have tagged.
If you want to hold the "tag" more information, eg. like the person to whom you have sent the card or even in combination with the year I would create a custom field, since it (normally) makes no sense to create a catalog label, which is just used by 1 picture, as it would be the case with a catalog label like "2014 birthday card Peter".
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | C1 | PSU 4+5 | Win 10/64 on i9-9940X |

tstoddard

Post by tstoddard » 17 Dec 14 14:08

HaraldE wrote:I still do not understand how a catalog label could improve my way of working.
Harald,

The advantage of using a label is that it makes it very easy for you to see, with one click, which images you already used. In addition, it is very easy to use the same label to exclude every image that you have used. For example, you can drag your "Card" label into the Dynamic Search panel and right click on it and select "Exclude from search". Even better, you can populate the collection viewer with images you are considering using and then use the Label filter in the filter bar to exclude any images with the Card label assigned. If you have a collection of images and you click in the label filter field, you will get a drop down containing all labels that are assigned to any of the images in the collection. If you see the Card label you will know that there are images that you've used before in that collection. Then, you can use the Ctl + click combination on the Card label to exclude any of those images from the current collection.

I don't think excluding images based on the contents of a custom field would be as easy. Especially if the contents are going to contain multiple values. The custom fields would be a great place to keep additional information, like you said, instead of using a standard field that was meant for some other purpose, but labels offer you boolean capability. A simple Card label could be visualized as a yes/no flag. It is either on or off.
Tom Stoddard

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 17 Dec 14 18:17

Friends,

This has been a very informative ride for me. Thanks for all advice. Now I feel it is time for me to do some real work. My thinking at he moment is I will do the following, starting some time next year.

> Create a Catalog Label called "BirthDayCard". When attached to a photo it will tell me the photo has been used as a Birthday Card
> Create a Catalog Label called "ChristmasCard". When attached to a photo it will tell me the card was handed out as a Christmas Card

Also, as soon as I see another reason for a photo to be handed-out I could just add a new label ... like "Present"
These labels would cover the IF and WHY. They would tell me IF a photo has been handed out and WHY . Now on to the WHO and WHEN

> Create a Custome Field called "Handed Out" to store free text covering the WHO and WHEN I have handed out a photo ... for example "Peter 2014"

There isn't an infinitive lists of WHYs, more like "BirthDay", "Christrmas", "Present" ... and similar. I may even do some thinking and create these labels in advance

Suddenly I realise that one photo may be handed-out more than once, even for the same reason. In a rare situation with 2 persons in a photo I may (at least in theory) need to use it twice, for 2 birthdays ... unlikely but possible. In the past all I did was to alter the DW text and say "Peter 2014 Birthday ... Tom 2011 Birthday". I see no reason why I can not keep on doing that. And yes, I see the flaw, I may by misstake exclude a photo that was handed out to someone else. This situation is rare and I will just ignore it.

Regards, Harald

David Grundy

Post by David Grundy » 18 Dec 14 17:03

Just out of curiosity (since the direction of travel in this thread is towards labels not custom input files) ... for the comments suggesting using a custom input field:
My recollection (as I'm not at my PSu computer right now) is that custom input fields are unique to specific files and are not propagated across version sets. Is that that still the case? If so, depending whether versions are used, this solution might not work too well.
(My info may be out of date.)
... David

Mke

Post by Mke » 18 Dec 14 17:35

As an alternative, I'd suggest that using collections and portfolios for this might be a neater solution. You could create a portfolio such as sentCardToName for each person, containing, for each, the collections birthdayCard, christmasCard, present, etc.

Particularly as you select different photos for each person, this would give you a per-person view of what you had sent. It would also allow you to reserve the use of catalog labels to describe the contents of the image.

And, if you drag your portfolio of interest to the Dynamic Search area, you can also right click and select 'exclude from search', to display all the images that you haven't sent to that person - which you could also combine with other search criteria to choose the next card to send. In other words, you don't loose search capabilities by choosing portfolios over labels.

To store dates sent, then a custom field might well be the best solution.
Last edited by Mke on 18 Dec 14 22:43, edited 2 times in total.

Mke

Post by Mke » 18 Dec 14 17:44

David Grundy wrote:My recollection (as I'm not at my PSu computer right now) is that custom input fields are unique to specific files and are not propagated across version sets. Is that that still the case?
Yes, that's correct.

HaraldE

Post by HaraldE » 21 Dec 14 22:22

This is a bit strange,

I did post a reply here some days ago and now I can not find it. I must have made a misstake so it never was flled .. a short summary from me

> I do not use Versions, they are overkill for me. Waiting for Stacking if/when it arrives
> The way forward is now wider due to the recent added valid advice including Collections
> I am still way behind in my overall thinking on how to use Labels / Keywords, now pushed over to next year

Thanks to all for help, Harald