Question about applying a headline to version sets

freudenthaler

Question about applying a headline to version sets

Post by freudenthaler » 09 Dec 14 21:37

Up to now I didn't entitle my photos, I felt convinient when doing so in flickr (for the few pictures I'm uploading). But I realize, that it would be much better doing so in PSu for my top rated pictures, since this information then is stored with my pics and not only in combination with flickr.
I learnt with the help of this forum, that "headline" is the field to fill to motivate flickr to show up a title. All works perfect if I enter a headline for every picture. But I have plenty of version sets and I just want to enter the headline once and it should be automatically populated to every single image inside the version set.
I noticed, that when I select two ore more pictures or a version set, that PSu displays "colored circles" with every metadata field. If I can remember it right, these markers have something to do with profiles and specify a certain behaviour during the import process, if a field already contains information, right?

There is a checkbox "Apply to full version set" which I ticked - except that it doesn't do what I was looking for: apply the headline to all images inside the version set :o

Could anyone please be so kind and point me in the right direction how to apply a headline to multiple images?
Btw, is there another usage of the "colored circles" besides for import profiles?
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | C1 | PSU 4+5 | Win 10/64 on i9-9940X |

Mike Buckley

Re: Question about applying a headline to version sets

Post by Mike Buckley » 09 Dec 14 22:33

freudenthaler wrote:when I select two ore more pictures or a version set, that PSu displays "colored circles" with every metadata field. If I can remember it right, these markers have something to do with profiles and specify a certain behaviour during the import process, if a field already contains information, right?
Those circles can be used as part of a Detail profile and Detail profiles can be included in Import profiles. However, those circles can also be used when no profile is being used. To understand the options regardless of whether the change will be saved to a profile, click one of the circles.
There is a checkbox "Apply to full version set" which I ticked - except that it doesn't do what I was looking for: apply the headline to all images inside the version set :o
I've never gotten that setting to work properly. Instead, I make the Details change to one of the versions. I then open that version's Version menu and select, "Cascade from this version to the Version set."

freudenthaler

Post by freudenthaler » 10 Dec 14 12:41

Mike Buckley wrote:To understand the options regardless of whether the change will be saved to a profile, click one of the circles.
Mike, that's what I did, none of the available settings had a positive effect on applying the headline to all versions.
Mike Buckley wrote:I've never gotten that setting to work properly. Instead, I make the Details change to one of the versions. I then open that version's Version menu and select, "Cascade from this version to the Version set."
Doesn't "cascade from this version to the version set" transfer all settings - also the "(in my case) unwanted ones" like color labels?

Maybe Hert could tell us, if the checkbox "Apply to full version set" should do the trick and it's just a bug? Thanks!
Robert | glass stories | Fuji X | LR Classic CC | C1 | PSU 4+5 | Win 10/64 on i9-9940X |

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Dec 14 14:21

freudenthaler wrote:
Mike Buckley wrote:To understand the options regardless of whether the change will be saved to a profile, click one of the circles.
Mike, that's what I did, none of the available settings had a positive effect on applying the headline to all versions.
Perhaps you could expand (Ctrl+Alt+V) all the version sets for your active collection or selection and then apply the headline to all those images?
Doesn't "cascade from this version to the version set" transfer all settings - also the "(in my case) unwanted ones" like color labels?
Nope. When you invoke the cascading, you can specify which info to cascade and there's a seperate setting for color labels. But I don't think there's a way to discriminate against other fine grained XMP data if you enable the "Cascade Image Details (XMP)" option.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 14 14:34

vlad wrote:Perhaps you could expand (Ctrl+Alt+V) all the version sets for your active collection or selection and then apply the headline to all those images?
Another alternative, depending on your workflow and whether all of the versions are in the same folder, is to view the collection in Folder view. Select all versions of the set and make the Details change.

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Dec 14 14:46

To clarify my previous reply about cascading: I actually don't know (haven't tried) whether "Cascade Image Details (XMP)" takes into account the state of the other options - in particular, whether it excludes the color label cascading when that option is disabled. (If it doesn't do so - and this is by design - perhaps that could be a feature request? i.e, make the other options sub-settings of the image details cascading.)

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 14 15:31

vlad wrote:whether it excludes the color label cascading when that option is disabled.
The color label is definitely not cascaded when that option is disabled. Each of my versions has a different color label, so I always disable that option.

Mke

Post by Mke » 10 Dec 14 15:53

freudenthaler wrote:There is a checkbox "Apply to full version set" which I ticked - except that it doesn't do what I was looking for: apply the headline to all images inside the version set :o
Mike Buckley wrote:I've never gotten that setting to work properly.
Interesting - I filed a bug report on Mantis about similar problems that I was experiencing (2625 'Apply to full version set' no longer working). Looks like it's not just my installation then. Perhaps you might be able to add some insight to Mantis that might help track down the problem?

freudenthaler

Post by freudenthaler » 10 Dec 14 16:47

Mike Buckley wrote: Another alternative, depending on your workflow and whether all of the versions are in the same folder, is to view the collection in Folder view. Select all versions of the set and make the Details change.
No, that's what I tried. There is no difference between a version set or multi-selection of pics.
Mke wrote: I filed a bug report on Mantis about similar problems that I was experiencing (2625 'Apply to full version set' no longer working).
Mke, you're not walking alone - I have added a comment to #2625 concerning my problem.

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 10 Dec 14 19:12

freudenthaler wrote:
Mike Buckley wrote: Another alternative, depending on your workflow and whether all of the versions are in the same folder, is to view the collection in Folder view. Select all versions of the set and make the Details change.
No, that's what I tried.
It works fine on my system.

vlad

Post by vlad » 10 Dec 14 19:38

freudenthaler wrote:
No, that's what I tried. There is no difference between a version set or multi-selection of pics.
Just a shot in the dark: are you sure this is related to versions? Can you change the details for multiple pics when the image selection:
a) does not include multiple versions
b) does not include versioned images at all
?