Importing metadata and what files are supported

talas

Importing metadata and what files are supported

Post by talas » 18 Nov 14 13:42

Looking into Wikipedia it says that << Photo Supreme - DAM software, can read/write XMP for JPEG, PSD, PDB, TIFF, DNG, RAW, and sidecar files (MS Windows, Mac OS X)>>
It does not state .avi, .mov, mts, .mp3
My question is, are these files supported for adding metadata?
I have tried different files all of them accept keywords and the like but not all are visible when browding in Adobe Bridge or Daminion.
Because I have done work on my video files in these 2 programs I want to import their metadata also in PhotoSupreme, but some of there Fields don't show up in the IPTC list.
Can anyone give a hand?? :?

Hert

Re: Importing metadata and what files are supported

Post by Hert » 18 Nov 14 13:44

PSU will write metadata to sidecar files for the formats .avi, .mov, mts, .mp3.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

talas

Post by talas » 18 Nov 14 16:36

What about H264 or mp4 files?

Hert

Post by Hert » 18 Nov 14 16:39

There's not even a metadata standard for video files. Metadata for video is where photography was 20 years ago. Everyone does what they want and each vendor writes whatever they want in whatever format they want in their video files. Standardization is far to find.
Embedding metadata in such video files means that nobody can or will read it.
For video files PSU also writes to XMP sidecar files.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

talas

Post by talas » 19 Nov 14 11:57

Thanks for the reply. Because of this fact that there is no standard for video I am trying to find at least a general codec that accepts metadata so that I can transcode my archive to one format ( like a second proxy archive)to do all my keywords and metadata.
This way I will have a searchable reference to my original files. So I want to be sure that this format will accept metadata so that in future I will not have to do the work again.
Using PSU do I have to change to XMP data once I have applied all my keywords and meta?

Hert

Post by Hert » 19 Nov 14 13:48

XMP is the more standardized format that you'll get your metadata in.
Using PSU do I have to change to XMP data once I have applied all my keywords and meta?
Your format doesn't change. XMP is a sidecar file that only contains your metadata. Your video remains in its original format. For instance you have video file myvideo.avi and then you add metadata for that file in PSU. That metadata with then be stored in a file called myvideo.xmp. This file accompanies the myvideo.avi file and only contains the metadata.

talas

Post by talas » 20 Nov 14 8:54

Yes I know. I meant that In PSU it gives you the ability when you right click on the file and choose metadata it has an option to convert metadata to XMP. What does this do exactly?

Hert

Post by Hert » 20 Nov 14 9:13

There are several "layers" of metadata.

There's Exif+IPTC-IIM layer; this layer is more a "low level" layer
And on top of that there's the XMP Layer.

XMP is a higher level metadata than Exif and Legacy IPTC-IIM. Information from Exif and IPTC-IIM is mostly replicated in XMP as well. Some tools update Exif but when they do, they "forget" to update the high level XMP metadata. Or some tools claim to write XMP but when they do, they only write their own data and fail to convert Exif and IPTC-IIM data to XMP when there was no pre-existing XMP. And then you get inconsistency in metadata with "odd" results, especially since PSU is completely XMP driven.

The option "Convert metadata to XMP" will re-read the Exif and IPTC-IIM layer and replicate the applicable information found there to the XMP layer...making sure that your metadata is again consistent. It's a maintenance feature that you'll only need when you expect inconsistencies.

talas

Post by talas » 20 Nov 14 13:23

Specifically with .mp3 files. I find that when adding info to all the fields, they are not viewable from the Bridge XMP File info. Why? Is this a problem with Bridge?
I want to make sure that all the info is readable from other programs. That is the point of metadata! So that when I share with clients and others they can be read and searched. Especially copyrite.
Since PSU is completely XMP driven then the metadata should be seen from other programs that can read metadata...????

Mke

Post by Mke » 20 Nov 14 13:41

Tools such as Mp3tag can be used to write universally accessible metadata into the mp3 file - but this is limited to artist, name, genre, etc (and - if you like - copyright information in the comments box). If you write to sidecar files then you're outside the scope of the standards.