Face detection - versions

Jesperben

Face detection - versions

Post by Jesperben » 04 Nov 14 13:54

I like the face detection feature - especially considering the new information (new to me, at least) that this is a standard description.

But I can't get the information about face detection to transfer between different versions of the image. I use the function "Cascade from this version the version set". As far as I can tell the face detction isn't transferred.

Are there other ways to transfer this information between versions in Photo Supreme?
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

Hert

Re: Face detection - versions

Post by Hert » 05 Nov 14 14:06

Areas (face detection is an algorithm to auto create areas, and so areas is the data) are indeed not cascaded. That is; if you write the metadata to the file and then cascade the metadata to versions then I expect that the version's metadata will also contain areas. Cascading areas to versions is not something that is straightforward because it only makes sense if the versions are unaltered and the areas end up at the exact same position.
Last edited by DirkS on 05 Nov 14 16:57, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: typo
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system

Hondor

Post by Hondor » 05 Nov 14 17:24

IDimager wrote:Cascading areas to versions is not something that is straightforward because it only makes sense if the versions are unaltered and the areas end up at the exact same position.
When you start cropping pictures with embedded area tags, things begin to get complicated, and I wouldn't personally trust face tags to stay in their proper place (no extensive testing on my part as of now).

A very cool improvement for PSU v4+ would perhaps be a function to re-align existing face tags (person-linked area tags) to nearest detected face rather than creating a new unlinked area.
- no previous experience with Idimager whatsoever...

Mke

Post by Mke » 05 Nov 14 18:43

Hondor wrote:A very cool improvement for PSU v4+ would perhaps be a function to re-align existing face tags (person-linked area tags) to nearest detected face rather than creating a new unlinked area.
Maybe there could be a 'smart cascade' that looked for a matching pattern of faces in the other versions, and adjusted the position and dimensions of the areas if there was a match (with a warning / option for manual adjustment if there was no match)? Presumably the fact the fact that the user would have adjusted or confirmed the relative position of faces on the master copy could be used to help a secondary face-detection algorithm to do this fairly accurately... in theory...

vlad

Post by vlad » 06 Nov 14 1:07

Interesting suggestions. I have no idea whether Hert has already added and documented scripting support for face detection and areas. If he has, then the suggested functiontionality might already be possible to implement in V3. (Keep in mind that I'm not knowledgeable in PSU scripting, so this is just speculation from my part. Even if possible, writing such a script may not be a piece of cake at all.)

Jesperben

Post by Jesperben » 06 Nov 14 13:00

it only makes sense if the versions are unaltered and the areas end up at the exact same position.
That's logical, I didn't think that way. Thank your for the answer.
Trying to get a lot of old pictures out to the family

Mke

Post by Mke » 04 Jun 15 15:49

As I've been finding this rather tedious lately, I've just added a related feature request to Mantis at http://mantis.idimager.com/view.php?id=2873
Last edited by Mke on 10 Jan 18 14:23, edited 1 time in total.

vlad

Post by vlad » 04 Jun 15 16:12

Interesting suggestions, Mke. As a followup to my previous post, I would quickly note that I have since become a bit more familiar with the scripting API and there is indeed scripting support for image areas, although I couldn't tell right now how extensive or limited it is. Even if not a proper replacement for builtin support, the scripting idea might therefore be feasible, at least in theory. (But no, I'm not going to write such a script myself; not for now, at least :wink:)