Remove Labels and Keywords

Mike Buckley

Re: Remove Labels and Keywords

Post by Mike Buckley » 04 Nov 14 19:03

Harald,

My understanding is that you want to get rid of the folder names that are catalog labels. If those folder names are also embedded as keywords in the image files, one of your settings will add them as catalog labels the next time you synch the pertinent files. I'm referring to the Read setting, "Merge keywords with existing catalog labels." Until those folder names are removed from the image files, you might want to consider changing that setting to "Do not convert keywords to catalog labels."

Be aware, however, that we don't know your entire workflow or your upcoming plan. It's possible that making that change will upset what you want to happen while implementing your present workflow with image files not yet in your catalog that have been affected by other tools that edit metadata (which I highly discourage). Alternatively, it's possible that making that change will be good temporarily and that you will want to change to one of the other two possible settings once you decide upon a permanent plan. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this is the type of example that is at the heart of my recommendation to begin with a plan before making major changes to your catalog.

On a very different subject that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, you have enabled "Read IDimager ICS scheme (if availalble)." There is only one circumstance in which you would want to enable that setting: when you want to automatically reconstruct your entire catalog (probably due to a corrupt database and the lack of a backup database that isn't corrupt) by reading the information that is embedded in the physical files. Reading the IDimager ICS scheme reads the information not just in accordance with the settings in your Preferences but also reads all of the other proprietary details such as the versioning, private catalog labels, relationship catalog labels, bookmarks, the portfolio system and the like. Reading all of that information affects speed enough that you would be better off by disabling that setting under normal circumstances. Another way of considering the setting is that enabling it adds no value under normal circumstances.

vlad

Post by vlad » 06 Nov 14 0:55

Mike Buckley wrote: On a very different subject that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, you have enabled "Read IDimager ICS scheme (if availalble)." There is only one circumstance in which you would want to enable that setting: when you want to automatically reconstruct your entire catalog (probably due to a corrupt database and the lack of a backup database that isn't corrupt) by reading the information that is embedded in the physical files. Reading the IDimager ICS scheme reads the information not just in accordance with the settings in your Preferences but also reads all of the other proprietary details such as the versioning, private catalog labels, relationship catalog labels, bookmarks, the portfolio system and the like. Reading all of that information affects speed enough that you would be better off by disabling that setting under normal circumstances. Another way of considering the setting is that enabling it adds no value under normal circumstances.
I agree with your reasoning, but I've just noticed that the hovering tip for "Read IDimager ICS scheme (if availalble)" mentions the following:
TIP: we strongly recommend to leave this option enabled.

If Hert confirms that the tip is indeed incorrect, then I could open a ticket about this (and add Mike's explanations to it).

Mike Buckley

Post by Mike Buckley » 06 Nov 14 1:28

vlad wrote: TIP: we strongly recommend to leave this option enabled.

If Hert confirms that the tip is indeed incorrect, then I could open a ticket about this (and add Mike's explanations to it).
I would be willing to bet that it's a mistake for five reasons: I'm reasonably confident the default setting is with that setting disabled. The exact same Tip is displayed for the related Write setting. Everything in the Tip directly pertains to writing metadata, not reading it. Hert has seen my post about this same topic in another thread in the past day in which I recommended, due to the same concerns about speed, that it's best under normal circumstances to leave that setting disabled. He didn't follow up that that is no longer an issue. My strongest reason: The same information applicable to IDimager states the following: "It is not recommended to enable this option unless you need to."

On the other hand, Supreme is so much faster in so many ways than IDimager that the need to be concerned about that setting slowing things up may no longer be an issue.

Hert

Post by Hert » 06 Nov 14 15:15

The tip for "Read ICS" was indeed the tip from the "Write ICS".
Thank you for logging this in Mantis.
This is a User-to-User forum which means that users post questions here for other users.
Feature requests, change suggestions, or bugs can be logged in the ticketing system